Review Round 7, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Bulldogs will definitely go after Payne again if he isn't in Best 22 contention at the end of the season, as I remember hearing somewhere that when Stefan Martin was playing for us, the Bulldogs would always ask the question about his services for the club every trade period since Leppitsch was the coach at the Lions due to the lack of ruck depth the club had then before he left last year. North Melbourne would be another club I reckon who will have a look at Payne and possibly other fringe players around our club (Mathieson/E.Smith) also this trade period, given the link of Noble at the club and the amount of salary cap space they currently have in their disposal.

The other thing to consider is that Birchall is "most likely" retiring this year meaning there will be a spot open in the defence, meaning maybe Lester play's Birchall's role while Payne slots in for Lester's position in the D50 as a result in the future.
Nth Melb still have Tarrant, but you could see them having Payne and McKay as their long term Key backs. Obviously the 'Dogs' are keen, which is interesting as they are within the next few years in the 'window' to win a flag, so Payne could select them.

I have been a strong advocate of playing some of the young guys for a couple of years, and we are seeing the growth and development with some of them, and I have the same confidence with Payne and also a lesser extend Ballenden (although his progression might take a little longer). I think we would regret losing Payne because Birchall might go another year or Lester keeps him out. I thought his Prelim: last year was very good for a 3rd or 4th gamer, and his first two games this year were reasonably solid and whilst his game against Collingwood was pretty average, he was probably injured with whatever is keeping him out for the last 4 or so weeks. I just think he lacks the confidence to be a little more attacking with his play, but his size, speed and agility should mean he can provide some run when needed, just needs to be backed in by the coaching staff and given a fair run, which has occurred in the past with Cam etc etc. I remember a number of BF posters were questioning Starc during his first 5-15 games. Ballenden is playing well in the 2's and although on the rookie list, would definitely keep him for at least another year. Just needs to be a bit more aggressive and put on a couple of kilos of muscle in the off season, he is a good kick, and would not surprise if a few clubs have a go at securing him at the end of this year. I think with a few more kilos could be back up ruck and is versatile swinging back or forward. Although we have Fullarton I still think Ballenden stays and we let Archie go.

Nth Melb still have Tarrant, but you could see them having Payne and McKay as their long term Key backs. Obviously the 'Dogs' are keen, which is interesting as they are within the next few years in the 'window' to win a flag, so Payne could select them.

I have been a strong advocate of playing some of the young guys for a couple of years, and we are seeing the growth and development with some of them, and I have the same confidence with Payne and also a lesser extend Ballenden (although his progression might take a little longer). I think we would regret losing Payne because Birchall might go another year or Lester keeps him out. I thought his Prelim: last year was very good for a 3rd or 4th gamer, and his first two games this year were reasonably solid and whilst his game against Collingwood was pretty average, he was probably injured with whatever is keeping him out for the last 4 or so weeks. I just think he lacks the confidence to be a little more attacking with his play, but his size, speed and agility should mean he can provide some run when needed, just needs to be backed in by the coaching staff and given a fair run, which has occurred in the past with Cam etc etc. I remember a number of BF posters were questioning Starc during his first 5-15 games. Ballenden is playing well in the 2's and although on the rookie list, would definitely keep him for at least another year. Just needs to be a bit more aggressive and put on a couple of kilos of muscle in the off season, he is a good kick, and would not surprise if a few clubs have a go at securing him at the end of this year. I think with a few more kilos could be back up ruck and is versatile swinging back or forward. Although we have Fullarton I still think Ballenden stays and we let Archie go.

If Dogs are keen, they can pay a first rounder to take him :p. Their Dunkley logic applies here, Payne has one more year of contract so it's up to them to pay over the top as it pretty much settles their backline long term.

Ideally we should hang on to Payne and swap him into first 22 for Lester during second half of this season.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Dogs are keen, they can pay a first rounder to take him :p. Their Dunkley logic applies here, Payne has one more year of contract so it's up to them to pay over the top as it pretty much settles their backline long term.

Ideally we should hang on to Payne and swap him into first 22 for Lester during second half of this season.

We cannot play Andrews, Adams, Payne and Gardner in the one backline.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Don't think he is a first rounder, but depends on how keen the parties are I suppose.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We cannot play Andrews, Adams, Payne and Gardner in the one backline.
You would think not, although Payne can also play on mid to tall forwards, such as Rohen the last two times we have played Geelong.
I don't think we can play Andrews, Gardner, Adams and Lester in the same backline, yet it is very likely we will, at least for the next few weeks. Good position to be in for the club.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Funnily enough I think Andrews is one of the least versatile backs we have. Not really a problem as there are always talls to play one. But all of Adams, Payne, Gardiner and Lester can play on multiple types
Adams is really quick ,especially for someone his size . Payne is also not slow. Gardiner is slow but somehow seems to get there.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Funnily enough I think Andrews is one of the least versatile backs we have. Not really a problem as there are always talls to play one. But all of Adams, Payne, Gardiner and Lester can play on multiple types
Andrews can play forward if needed though, which the others probably can't or at least not as well.

Andrews can play forward if needed though, which the others probably can't or at least not as well.
I don't know about in the AFL itself, but Adams did play some time in the Forward 50 as well in the WAFL before being drafted by the Doggies if my memory serves me well.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
I don't know about in the AFL itself, but Adams did play some time in the Forward 50 as well in the WAFL before being drafted by the Doggies if my memory serves me well.

We tried playing him in the forward half a couple of times in 2019, but he was painfully average. Also couldn't kick accurately if memory serves me correct.

We tried playing him in the forward half a couple of times in 2019, but he was painfully average. Also couldn't kick accurately if memory serves me correct.

Yeah I do remember him taking a set-shot on the 50 arc, I think it was in his first match at the club against the Giants in Sydney, and he sprayed it quite bad so I mean that was that experiment finished with him playing in the forward line.

morsie

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There’s an awful lot of right footers who can’t kick with their left as well. Just seems to be blown of proportion with lefty’s.

Very flew players like Aker and Black who were almost as good on both sides
Does not seem a priority for most players these days to kick both feet or for that matter handball with both hands.You often see goals kicked with a banana sending the commentators into ecstacy when if the player had an opposite foot it would have been very simple.

Does not seem a priority for most players these days to kick both feet or for that matter handball with both hands.You often see goals kicked with a banana sending the commentators into ecstacy when if the player had an opposite foot it would have been very simple.
The game has totally evolved. Standard set shots are turning into around the body shots even with dominant feet, and I guess players are more and more encouraged to seek a better shot on goal than get forced into low percentage chance shots that need a kick from the opposite foot.

As a leftie that could actually kick alright-ish on my right foot, it's kind of sad to see that talent fall by the wayside. But that also gives a clue as to my age and era I played junior footy. ;)

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
It’s not like it was a priority in the 70’s/80’s/90’s either just a lot of supporters and commentators who dream of the olden days

filbert

Rookie
Mar 14, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m sure I read an article saying that a snap was easier and more accurate as there is less chance of error as there is a larger surface area for the foot to kick. I’ve tried to find it, but can’t.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Players who can go either side by foot or hand are still like gold .But for whatever reason it's not seen as a priority the way the game has evolved and the way players are trained now.

There were 2 occasions on Saturday where a right hand would've resulted in goals . But it's not seen as a failing any more.

The around the body shot from 15m virtually directly in front is 90% a mental strategy . For players who struggle with the mental aspect of an simple shot.

I reckon my missus could slot those.

Back