Autopsy Round 7, 2021: Hawks refuse to take the field

Remove this Banner Ad

No Jaeger no Hawthorn 😰.
Can learn so much from this. Agree with Dunstall on Kosi 🥰.

Just hoping to get more possession and better deliveries inside the 50 for next week. The conversion is pretty good especially from the set shot.

Anyway a lot to learn from this game.

Was at the game. Was pretty tough to watch.

Jeka lead really hard all game and competed well in the air but was almost never used. It was actually very sad to see. Ended up with 2 disposals so poor dude probably gets dropped. He and Koschitzke can form a good partnership if given time. Kosi was very impressive with his movement given the limited chances.

There was zero forward pressure when the ball hit the deck. I know we went tall but Breust, Hanrahan & Moore had moments where they just jogged while their opponents worked hard off them.

Our defenders are terrible at positioning. Hartigan & Frost both grab their man far too often. That being said there’s only so much you can do when the Saints get that much delivery into the 50.

Our midfielders couldn’t hit a kick. Not one. Worpel was the best one and even his were fortunate bombs. Very disappointed with Mitchell & Sheils despite having decent stats. Maginness worked himself well into the game.

I’m also very concerned with our tackling technique. Players often run through our tackles.
How was Lewis' work rate? Hoping tv just made it look poor?

My thoughts and onservations:

1) Yuk
2) Yuk
3) - 7) Yuk
8) Yuk
9) Scrimshaw is better up the ground.
10) Hardwick a game he would rather forget.
11) Cousins tries his heart out. But his disposal is rubbish.
12) Gunners is back!
13) Gunners probably not ready.
14) Finn played!
15) Finn definitely not ready.
16) Frost and Hartigan are stopping 100pt losses
17] Lewis, Kozi, Jeka and Gunston. WILL NOT WORk. Calling it now.
18) Worpel and Mitchell worked hard.

19) Umpires, AFL, and St Kilda (but not Ratten or Hill) can GAGF.

20) I am drunk. And I need a cuddle.

1. We were shiiit from the 1st quarter and went downhill from there.
2. Credit to Stain Kilda, they were hungry we didn’t give a yelp - but we all know we will win another a Premiership before they do.....may take a rebuild and many years but it’s true
3. Our skills are deplorable
4. Our coaching seems to be wanting
5. We need refreshing from the Top down ...ie From the President down including Coach , many players....
6. We have lost that Hawthorn mongrel........the end...cause not sure what comes after 6

Shocking performance. Besides Jeka getting to debut,and Kosi trying his guts out, there was not one positive. I know we are rebuilding, but the effort was crap. Our skills are poor, we are way too predictable. There is no spread and outside run at all. A couple of our defenders take the game on, but then turn it over. Our midfield is a massive worry, the ones who played today are all plodders. Mitch gets the ball, but does absolutely nothing with it. We made St Kilda look like a premiership team.

Shocking performance. Besides Jeka getting to debut,and Kosi trying his guts out, there was not one positive. I know we are rebuilding, but the effort was crap. Our skills are poor, we are way too predictable. There is no spread and outside run at all. A couple of our defenders take the game on, but then turn it over. Our midfield is a massive worry, the ones who played today are all plodders. Mitch gets the ball, but does absolutely nothing with it. We made St Kilda look like a premiership team.

Mitchell tried hard, but he lacks quality support around him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of those games where stkilda couldn't do anything wrong. Their confidence grew, and any team will dominate like that as a result (reminiscent of 2017 v gc on the gc)

Leg speed is a major issue.
We've started to try and address it with the last two draft crops - takes time from when the people that mattered finally woke up.

We played the kids. It wasn’t pretty. This won’t be a quick fix.

Kosi was good. Scrimshaw, Worpel, Impey were ok.

The rest? Pretty terrible. Our midfield is a disaster.
A fair portion of posters have been crying out for us to play just the kids .
We got a good view today of what most likely happens when you do that.

We got smashed at contest by bigger stronger opponants then killed in space.

We just got outworked by a hungrier team. Nothing went our way. A running theme is we have some good defenders who have some shocking disposal. If I'm any team I'm giving Frost an uncontested mark and letting him turn it over. Not much creativity or good disposal in our back 50.

We also got punished with leg speed today.

One or two out of T Mitchell, Worpel & Liam Shiels need to be traded or let go. We have too many similar type midfielders who have poor disposal. Can we please get Josh Kelly/Whitfield and Karl Amon into the club.

Negatives: (this could take a while)
-Ball use. Our kicking is poor, and for some reason we think that handballing at teammates feet is a great idea.
-Stoppages. Who'd have thought that, as a player, if you are under pressure in close, that the bloke who's a metre away from you is likely to also be under pressure. Other teams spread really well when they win it in close, we rarely do.
-decision-making. Some of the decision making from our team is baffling. Even from the senior players.
-Forward line. You'd hate to be a forward in our forward line. Kossie showed last week that we have a guy that leads, marks and kicks goals. Jeka has shown that at VFL leve. You'd think that you'd prioritise trying to get it forward quickly. Nup, we continually look backwards first.
-Back line. Hartigan and Frost (who I love), offer little with ball in hand. Compete well, and Frost is better than Hartigan, but that isn't saying much

Positives
- Kossie again. Presents, works hard, take his chances. Looks really promosing.
-Jeka. Lead hard, worked hard and competed. Tough game for a debut considering we were comfortably beaten through the middle.
-Maginess. Shows he has the body to compete at AFL level. Needs time. Shouldn't be dropped, he needs games
-Moore. He presents, gets a goal a week, and uses it ok. playing as a high half forward isnt easy. Been good
-Hardwick, made some errors, but is a genuine leader.
-Cousins. Finds the footy, uses it ok. worth persisting with.

Not much else. We were woeful. I mean, we made Zac Jones look like Judd FFS.

We have a massive problem in the ruck.
Gawn owned us & we get thumped
Ryder smacks us & we get pummelled
Against good rucks our mids will mostly be 2nd to the ball.
It's one thing I agree with on Clarko, before he changed it and we can see the results, and that is two ruckman to bash and crash for our mids - we just need to find two rucks is all :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back