Autopsy Round 7, 2021: Hawks refuse to take the field

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that was pretty trash.

Only a few highlights within that game, but ultimately outworked and outclassed.

Go at it.

Last edited:

RoughysMullet

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 8, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Real tough day at the office..
We get the Saints on their home deck (can’t remember the last time we didn’t play them at Marvel)
First time all year they’re at full strength and with their season on the line..
So we decide this week is the best time to rest two of our best and most experienced mids?? Crazy selection decisions..

Seemed like from the start we never believed we could compete- the mindset wasn’t there and when they threw everything at us we just crumbled..

Senior players look like the games gone passed them and younger players just weren’t ready to compete and got a reality check.. very difficult viewing and hoping we don’t see many more of these types of games this season..

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was at the game. Was pretty tough to watch.

Jeka lead really hard all game and competed well in the air but was almost never used. It was actually very sad to see. Ended up with 2 disposals so poor dude probably gets dropped. He and Koschitzke can form a good partnership if given time. Kosi was very impressive with his movement given the limited chances.

There was zero forward pressure when the ball hit the deck. I know we went tall but Breust, Hanrahan & Moore had moments where they just jogged while their opponents worked hard off them.

Our defenders are terrible at positioning. Hartigan & Frost both grab their man far too often. That being said there’s only so much you can do when the Saints get that much delivery into the 50.

Our midfielders couldn’t hit a kick. Not one. Worpel was the best one and even his were fortunate bombs. Very disappointed with Mitchell & Sheils despite having decent stats. Maginness worked himself well into the game.

I’m also very concerned with our tackling technique. Players often run through our tackles.

We played the kids. It wasn’t pretty. This won’t be a quick fix.

Kosi was good. Scrimshaw, Worpel, Impey were ok.

The rest? Pretty terrible. Our midfield is a disaster.

This is why Day and Impey need to play in the midfield as they both have speed and skills. Something the midfield is currently lacking.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Before the negatives fill the thread, some positives I noticed.

Worpel played his best game of the season.
Moore back in form after a down two weeks.
Finn looked better than he has at any other point.
Cousins could use the ball better, but had heaps of it and played a good game.
Hardwick is the smokey for our B&F.
Scrimshaw good.
Kosi 2 goals.

I'll leave it there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
Glimpses from Finn with good strength, hands and kept up with Hill second half.

Probably Kosi's second best game imo.

Set-up needs to give more pressure up forward. Brocky and Wingard good candidates.

Gunston was rusty, our kicking was poor and smashed all over the ground. Have to just move on from these games.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Normally I preach patience and find positives, but I really was not expecting that. Our shitness, even in a s**t year, took me by surprise today.
Clarko and the coaches need to just keep throwing the kids out there from now on.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
images (17).jpeg

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well done Ratts and Roughie - you took away completely the only positives that are new, while shutting the rest of the team down, because you know us.

Clarko on bench while Kosi is risked in the ruck - this almost unforgivable from whoever put him their. I mean sack unforgivable.

Jul 21, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Lost count of how many times we kicked it straight back to a sts player, and after having time to scout options. We need to get the basics right first before anything fancy like winning a game. Losing is a part of the game but turning it over with little or no pressure is unacceptable.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back