Preview Round 7, 2021 - Lions v Port Saturday May 1st The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their fans are pretty confident on their thread, only a few posts giving us much respect.

Bookies don't want to touch us this year.

They are a good side. However looking at their form line they have only REALLY had 2 proper challenges this year and that was againts WC - belted on the road and the Tigers at home, where they fell in and Tigers have gone on to struggle.

Granted we haven't beaten anyone either, but we arn't faves, its pretty hard to actually gauge them.

I am the ultimate pessimist but I reckon we are being taken lightly, in it up to our eyeballs.

I'm actually with Eddie and Collingwood on the prison bar jerseys, seems pretty straight forward that it is a breach of trademark within the AFL system/rules. I thought Eddie has explained it pretty well in various interviews over the years, BTW I'm certainly no Eddie fanboy.

If it was only to wear it during showdowns and that was it maybe the Pies would have been OK with it but they are/have been? selling them as merchandise and pushing to wear them more often.

I think Prior will hold his spot.
Neale and Gardiner out for Matho and T.Bez.
Maybe Harry Sharp as the sub.
Or we bite the bullet and give Madden a shot as the sub.
Hoping for no injuries though and no sub required.
I think your right and we might bite the bullet and debut Madden at the GABBA to provide some much needed speed, but the wet weather forecast may dictate

Their fans are pretty confident on their thread, only a few posts giving us much respect.

Bookies don't want to touch us this year.

They are a good side. However looking at their form line they have only REALLY had 2 proper challenges this year and that was againts WC - belted on the road and the Tigers at home, where they fell in and Tigers have gone on to struggle.

Granted we haven't beaten anyone either, but we arn't faves, its pretty hard to actually gauge them.

I am the ultimate pessimist but I reckon we are being taken lightly, in it up to our eyeballs.
When I looked earlier in the week Port was about $1.73 and we were around $2.10, Last night when I looked the odds were Port $1.85 and us $1.95 so I think we are right in this. Winning the flag is a different matter and we are around $12, I suppose the bookies think we will finish outside the top 4, next 6 week block will tell.

Granted we have a few more injuries to then port to key personnel but the loss of boak somewhat offsets Neale being out. We made them look second rate in second quarter last year where they really struggled with the height of our big forwards . They pick up Allir allir but we have added Joey . We have had the wood on them ever since Kenny couldn’t keep his big mouth shut and said they would terrorise Neale. Port know we have the wood on them 2 .

I think your right and we might bite the bullet and debut Madden at the GABBA to provide some much needed speed, but the wet weather forecast may dictate

I'e seen bits of the last couple of the Ressie's VFL games, and hadn't noticed Madden overly much. How is he going wrt the physical stuff? I see that as one of the current shortcomings of young Harry - he just can't yet match it with the stronger mature bodies, although he looks great when he gets the ball in clear air.

Obviously Sharp isn't ready yet but out of all the players in the ressies last week he's the one who looks like he could make an impact as a Senior player . He has that one commodity you can't buy, blistering pace.

I doubt they'd risk him on a wet deck . Don't see Madden as anything special but he's got promise. Doubt we'll see anyone brought in bar Mathieson . T Berry obviously gets a slot.

A lot will fall on Ah Chee and Starcevich this week to lock up their smaller forwards.

I'm actually with Eddie and Collingwood on the prison bar jerseys, seems pretty straight forward that it is a breach of trademark within the AFL system/rules. I thought Eddie has explained it pretty well in various interviews over the years, BTW I'm certainly no Eddie fanboy.

If it was only to wear it during showdowns and that was it maybe the Pies would have been OK with it but they are/have been? selling them as merchandise and pushing to wear them more often.

It is nothing like the Collingwood jersey and they are proposing to wear it for two matches a year. Collingwood seem to be asserting copyright over any black and white jersey which is ridiculous. AFL needs to get away from being Collingwood fanboys and grow a pair.

No-one is going to go into a shop intending to buy a Collingwood jersey and come out with one of the Port jumpers. They are materially different.

Also worth noting this is after Collingwood made a farce of the clash jumper in the Anzac Day game.

It is nothing like the Collingwood jersey and they are proposing to wear it for two matches a year. Collingwood seem to be asserting copyright over any black and white jersey which is ridiculous. AFL needs to get away from being Collingwood fanboys and grow a pair.

No-one is going to go into a shop intending to buy a Collingwood jersey and come out with one of the Port jumpers. They are materially different.

Also worth noting this is after Collingwood made a farce of the clash jumper in the Anzac Day game.
For a compromise why don’t Port just add a bit of their aqua colour into the Guernsey?

I'e seen bits of the last couple of the Ressie's VFL games, and hadn't noticed Madden overly much. How is he going wrt the physical stuff? I see that as one of the current shortcomings of young Harry - he just can't yet match it with the stronger mature bodies, although he looks great when he gets the ball in clear air.
I have only seen bits this year of Madden and obviously little last year, but I do now from watching the NEAFL a few years ago he is very fast, back then needed to improve his disposal, but a few other posters have mentioned him over the last month and he seemed to go OK in the pre season match against the Suns, this year. I think they might debut him this week, depending on how wet it is predicted to be

For a compromise why don’t Port just add a bit of their aqua colour into the Guernsey?
The trivial stuff applause junkie administrators in AFL clubs wet the bed over is laughable.

These guys have never left the schoolyard.

They're either serial bullies or sad sacks who were relentlessly bullied and now that they've clawed their way into a position of prominence are getting their own back.

To hear their carry on over the radio or on TV makes me glad I don't have to put up with them in my personal life.

Agree 100%. Port changed their colour's when they entered the AFL competition. I also am not an "Eddie fanboy" but this time I agree with him all the way.

I have only seen bits this year of Madden and obviously little last year, but I do now from watching the NEAFL a few years ago he is very fast, back then needed to improve his disposal, but a few other posters have mentioned him over the last month and he seemed to go OK in the pre season match against the Suns, this year. I think they might debut him this week, depending on how wet it is predicted to be
I think you are right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No they're not, they're asking for Showdowns only and Collingwood are screaming blue murder. Screw Eddie and Collingwood.

I see it as Port pushing the boundaries of the agreement that was entered into when they entered the competition to get their toe in the door for more liberal use of it and for marketing/merchandise purposes, David Koch being disingenuous IMO, also looks reasonably similar to me.
No they're not, they're asking for Showdowns only and Collingwood are screaming blue murder. Screw Eddie and Collingwood.
From the conversation on footy classified the other night they are asking for 2 games(for now). I think it will end up in court and we'll find out then.

That will be it for me on this issue, I'll leave it to the dedicated thread on the main board... besides I feel dirty taking Eddie's side on this.

Would be interesting to know more on the prison bar debate, but also not sure i can be bothered to research it...

Do Collingwood have a registered trademark over black and white vertical stripes on a jersey?
Was the different strip genuinely part of the Port Adelaide agreement allowing them to join the AFL?
Which club used the stripes earlier?
How does the heritage round play into it? Were Port aware it was being scrapped when they signed on?
What is Port's endgame? They pushed for it last year, and got it. Now they're pushing for it in 2 rounds every year. If they get this, do they push for any non-Collingwood round?

If I had the time and inclination to research those questions, I might be able to come up with an opinion. Probably don't know enough at this stage to have an informed opinion.

Of course not.

They are going in with the intention of shop-lifting one.

I see it as Port pushing the boundaries of the agreement that was entered into when they entered the competition to get their toe in the door for more liberal use of it and for marketing/merchandise purposes, David Koch being disingenuous IMO, also looks reasonably similar to me.

From the conversation on footy classified the other night they are asking for 2 games(for now). I think it will end up in court and we'll find out then.

That will be it for me on this issue, I'll leave it to the dedicated thread on the main board... besides I feel dirty taking Eddie's side on this.
From our own contract agreements with the AFL around number of games in Melbourne each year, I would assume that all deals with the AFL arent worth anything. I would treat it by the vibe as they do

Whiting mentioned today that Madden was at the captains run... 26 players there today and the squad to be named out of them... could we have a debutant??

From our own contract agreements with the AFL around number of games in Melbourne each year, I would assume that all deals with the AFL arent worth anything. I would treat it by the vibe as they do
Then of course we have the white & black "Collingwood Away Guernsey" that the AFL are quite happy to accept
Don't really care about the Port guernsey issue only that the debate may take away their focus on tomorrow night's game
But that is unlikely
Lions by 13 stripes sorry points

I think if Port are only proposing to wear the strip twice a year against the Crows I dont see a probably.
Whiting mentioned today that Madden was at the captains run... 26 players there today and the squad to be named out of them... could we have a debutant??
I thought yesterday they might try and inject some speed into the back line to counter the fast small forwards from Port, so think it is a real chance now based on what you have posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back