The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Their home doesn't clash with Brisbane, with white shorts and the white number panel the contrast with maroon is fine.
1619483216893.png

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I mentioned something on Twitter about Essendon vs Carlton being a real litmus test for clash jumper implementation this weekend and now I'm going to get sucked in to wasting my afternoon arguing with troglodytes about why increasing the contrast between the two teams doesn't make the game any less of a game

Know it wont happen, but would love to see Geelong use their clash with Navy shorts this week.

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
I mentioned something on Twitter about Essendon vs Carlton being a real litmus test for clash jumper implementation this weekend and now I'm going to get sucked in to wasting my afternoon arguing with troglodytes about why increasing the contrast between the two teams doesn't make the game any less of a game
Yeah it's almost pointless, nothing you can say will change their minds. I've had many identical discussions on the Carlton board so I can imagine exactly what their 'arguments' are. At some point the AFL just needs to mandate clash jumpers in these games and endure the bitching and moaning from these 'traditionalists' for 2 or 3 years until everyone starts realising how objectively better it is for the game when you can easily tell the teams apart (not to mention more inclusive for people with disabilities/eyesight issues).

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
Funnily enough we've actually worn it a few times in practise matches/VFL games. Hard to imagine how anyone can look at this and think the alternative objectively looks better. Also it's still obviously Essendon vs Carlton, it hardly ruins the tradition. The Carlton monogram is still front and centre in navy blue and white - it's not like we're wearing orange and gray (shoutout to that Nike clash prototype).
1619499150913.png

1619499170474.png

Noctorniquet

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers, Perth Wildcats
Read the thread..... You have more patience than I do trying to reason with someone who's argument is "There is no issue because I've watched footy for 20 years and that's how it's always been"

thequarry

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very close to this week to having two match-ups of five colours split separately across the opponents (Richmond/Bulldogs, St Kilda/Hawthorn), and two with six (Adelaide/GWS, Brisbane/Port). But this will be spoilt by Hawthorn being the away team and introducing white with their shorts.

Actually, in every game this round, barring Hawthorn's shorts and Sydney/Geelong, all opponents wear a different set of colours.

Back