Essendon v Carlton (MCG)
West Coast v Fremantle (OS) (T)

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's absolutely no reason apart from archaic traditions that the Dogs should be in white shorts this weekend. Black vs royal blue works just fine – no different to red IMO, which the AFL keeps in its own little category.

30196.jpg

Apr 2, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rams, Raptors, Leafs, Blue Jays
Yeah it's almost pointless, nothing you can say will change their minds. I've had many identical discussions on the Carlton board so I can imagine exactly what their 'arguments' are. At some point the AFL just needs to mandate clash jumpers in these games and endure the bitching and moaning from these 'traditionalists' for 2 or 3 years until everyone starts realising how objectively better it is for the game when you can easily tell the teams apart (not to mention more inclusive for people with disabilities/eyesight issues).

Thank you, someone who is in this category it’s nice to see others recognise this.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
There's absolutely no reason apart from archaic traditions that the Dogs should be in white shorts this weekend. Black vs royal blue works just fine – no different to red IMO, which the AFL keeps in its own little category.

30196.jpg
Just because I've always loved the Bulldogs's home strip with white shorts, I'm going to respectfully disagree 🙂

You are 100% right though.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
When North first introduced their royal inverse, they wore it away vs Richmond, Brisbane and Hawthorn, complete with blue shorts. The other three teams wore their normal home kits.

Pretty much proves that royal blue clashes with sweet **** all.

Lemon Boi

High quality
Nov 20, 2019
The Citrus Grove
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
North QLD Cowboys, Las Vegas Bears
Here’s a crappy MS Paint edit I did of an Essendon–Carlton match with contrasting shorts and socks.
Shorts, socks.png

The idea is that they keep their regular guernsey, pleasing the traditionalists, while also having noticeable contrast, pleasing the revisionists.
Although it would require players to pull their socks up, which just doesn’t seem to happen anymore.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Socks don't matter too much. Shorts and Guernsey are the ones that stand out.

The above scenario, with both teams in their home socks, but with the jumper and shorts combinations, would actually be a half decent contest whilst allowing both teams to wear their home jumpers.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Rd 8 related.

Words from kochie that the afl hasn't decided on the use of the pb is ridiculous. Should be decided by now, on a logistics side especially.

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Here’s a crappy MS Paint edit I did of an Essendon–Carlton match with contrasting shorts and socks.
View attachment 1113606

The idea is that they keep their regular guernsey, pleasing the traditionalists, while also having noticeable contrast, pleasing the revisionists.
Although it would require players to pull their socks up, which just doesn’t seem to happen anymore.
It happened in 2006 (the Bryce Gibbs cup) aside from the socks but with most players wearing short socks now, I don't think it matters.
Screenshot_20210428-201531.png

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Rd 8 related.

Words from kochie that the afl hasn't decided on the use of the pb is ridiculous. Should be decided by now, on a logistics side especially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
I just don’t understand why players don’t wear their socks up these days.

Does anyone know?
As a player myself, part of it is just preference I just personally think shorter socks looks cooler. Another part is, when the socks are up chances are they are going to roll down at some point. Now this can be fixed with tape but honestly cant be arsed doing that for every game so I just go with short socks.

Lemon Boi

High quality
Nov 20, 2019
The Citrus Grove
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
As a player myself, part of it is just preference I just personally think shorter socks looks cooler. Another part is, when the socks are up chances are they are going to roll down at some point. Now this can be fixed with tape but honestly cant be arsed doing that for every game so I just go with short socks.

Fair enough. I’ve always worn them up; always felt I could kick better that way.

I’m trying to think of the few players that still do wear socks up; it’s probably a smaller number than longie-wearers.

There’s Buddy, Dangerfield, Daniher, Mitch Robinson, Tex Walker, Touk Miller, Phil Davis, Shaun Burgoyne, Jack Ziebell, Jack Darling… anyone else?
(not including ruckmen)

Lemon Boi

High quality
Nov 20, 2019
The Citrus Grove
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There's heaps, at least a handful from every team.

It’s less than you think, especially for non-ruckmen.
Here are some photos from last round (see attachments).

St Kilda — 0
Essendon — ½, Phillips (ruckman)
Collingwood — ½, Grundy (ruckman)
Adelaide — 1, Walker
Hawthorn — 2, McEvoy (ruckman) and Burgoyne

Attachments

• 1619619091316.png
    1619619091316.png
    240.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 1619619164447.png
    1619619164447.png
    297.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 1619619210688.png
    1619619210688.png
    186.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 1619619357008.png
    1619619357008.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 1619619699830.png
    1619619699830.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 50

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It happened in 2006 (the Bryce Gibbs cup) aside from the socks but with most players wearing short socks now, I don't think it matters.
View attachment 1113696

I still think it looks pretty awful. Just confirms to me that one of them needs to be in their clash jumper. No one wants to be staring at shorts or socks to tell teams apart, I want to watch the ball and general play.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Fair enough. I’ve always worn them up; always felt I could kick better that way.

I’m trying to think of the few players that still do wear socks up; it’s probably a smaller number than longie-wearers.

There’s Buddy, Dangerfield, Daniher, Mitch Robinson, Tex Walker, Touk Miller, Phil Davis, Shaun Burgoyne, Jack Ziebell, Jack Darling… anyone else?
(not including ruckmen)
Yeah fair enough, its different for everyone. What I've always wondered is the idea of having one sock up, one sock down. I've seen it quite a number of times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back