austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Nope, we’ve been trying to do that all year, I thought that was pretty obvious, but we haven’t been winning enough contested ball to make it work. So then it just looks like the guys on the outside aren’t going in. So then they start collapsing into the contest because they feel guilty.
Very good point

May 29, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well not much add to here .... most has been said .... but finally we got on our bikes and started moving and presenting and supporting each other.

We looked inbounds and moved the ball through the middle and moved it on quickly and we were all the better for it.

Huge must win game this week v Suns with the Cats and the Dogs the weeks after ...... and we a good chance to pinch one of those given they are at Marvel

Carn the Saints!!

I don't get the significance
I'm insinuating that Clarkson (who questioned the St Kilda game style last year) has managed to piece together a team, and a game plan, that has played the Saints back into form and generally restored the peace between warring Moorabin marauders.

To be fair he did say in his post game presser:

"You've got to give credit to the opposition, they were pretty good. Probably for the competition (sic) they haven't seen the Saints like that for the year. Which isn't meant to be a slight on them. But they're a very, very capable side and I don't know the reasons why they haven't been playing to the level they produced today. But they were very, very good today."

malevu

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2013
Animal Enclosure
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just a few random thoughts for what it's worth.

The Hiil move to half back looks a winner and should be persisted with. We do need to be careful with his match up though because he could easily be exposed by someone who is a strong overhead mark.

The Ryder and Marshall combo is pivotal to our year. Both need to play as many games in tandem as possible. No surprise that our clearance numbers / stoppage work, forward structure and team defence all improved considerably. The two of them impact all areas of our game. However, we did really need to draft a young ruck and develop him as a project player. It's been the main flaw in our drafting in the last 2-3 years. Hopefully Ryder can go another couple of seasons. As long as he still has his spring I can't see why not.

Two players who I reckon get an unfair wrap on here are Billings and Ross. Both try their guts out and play far more good games than bad. I'd like to see Billings play nearer to goal because he's the one smaller type capable of blowing a game apart. Especially with Gresh out.

As posted previously Clark needs to play wing with a licence to roam forward. Reckon he'd get regular bags of 2-3 goals if he does.

Props to Membrey. He's become a genuine leader of the club.

If anyone has seriously suggested Doogs should be dropped they must have rocks in their head. He's clearly the best of our recent trading.

I'm not sold on Joyce. Happy to play him next week but think he might get exposed against the Dogs and the Cats. Happy to be proven wrong. Reckon it's a tough call on Jake. Okay he's got the turning circle of a Mack truck but he's reinjured his back having to help out playing in unfamiliar and unsuitable positions. When fit again he's deserving of another crack at CHB.

I think it's time to bed Battle down in defence. Let him play the James Sicily role. Intercept marker with a touch of mongrel, capable of pinch hitting in the forward line.

That's me done.

Love a stat.

He had a great game, He seemed to be played similar to Byrnes as a high half forward that becomes an extra wingman. His form turn around has been extraordinary. He's looking like a more effective player than he was even in his B & F era. He actually looks quick this year, his turn overs have dropped right down and he's even winning contests. Seb and McKenzie are the two most improved on our list. Played more inside midfield minutes last week and was BOG and moves to a wing and is less dominant but still super effective. His kicks to set up forwards were really good vision often under pressure.

It’s hard with Battle because he’s obviously a quality player but I can’t remember a premiership team that had a key position player on a wing. At some point we have to make a decision about which end of the ground he settles in because he can’t stay where he is if we want to win a flag.

Jack Steele contested possession average: 13.1. Tick tick tick.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s hard with Battle because he’s obviously a quality player but I can’t remember a premiership team that had a key position player on a wing. At some point we have to make a decision about which end of the ground he settles in because he can’t stay where he is if we want to win a flag.

He’s lost this year.. I honestly think the utility style has hurt his game. Want to see him played in one spot. Either back or forward, don’t mind. Consistently for a month.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
He’s lost this year.. I honestly think the utility style has hurt his game. Want to see him played in one spot. Either back or forward, don’t mind. Consistently for a month.
Agreed. I feel for the guy because he’s probably in his own head about what exactly he’s supposed to be doing and I’m not sure he’s the fittest bloke to be going back and forth. I’d like to see them stick him up back for a month or swing forward for crucial help when we play teams with more key defenders.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Watching him last night he looked a lot like Caydn Beetham. Hope his career turns out better!

aug-2001-caydn-beetham-for-st-kilda-in-action-during-the-round-19-afl-picture-id72526386
49481722577_fe9218b4f7_o.jpg

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes

Was wondering if we should put Battle to FF & give King a run on the wing for a few games. We all know Battle is good enough & this just might help protect King from the buffeting he gets, it’s a long season for a young guy.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've said it for a while but for young KP players its so important that early on they are developed in one position. otherwise it can really stunt their growth after 5/6 years then maybe you can think of moving them around but in the early years it s crucial that they settle.

Example Weitering, Hurley, Carlisle, Howard, Moore, Lachie Henderson

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just watched the Hunter Clark candy selling and thought that he looks like that dickhead dad who rolls up to Auskick and starts playing his heart out against the six year olds.

Like when Jason Akermanis played in that charity legends match lol, weaving around fat units like he’s still playing for Brisbane.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who would have thunk Richo's run and gun game plan might make a come back. Seriously though we worked for each other and gave options and not just one, multiple players found space and spread the opposition out. It was so much better than the last 6 game or what eve we are up to. We did to them what others usually do to us.
This is nothing like Richo's gameplan. Richo's gameplan was "try not to lose too badly". The first 6 rounds looked more Richo-esque than anything else under Ratts. No forward structure, no one to kick to, repeated long panic kicks down the line to a contest we would lose or cause a stoppage at best. No stoppage setup and getting dominated around the ball. Defenders under constant pressure all day and always out of position from the instant repeat entries. You really do glorify the Richo era sometimes Gringo old mate.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Was wondering if we should put Battle to FF & give King a run on the wing for a few games. We all know Battle is good enough & this just might help protect King from the buffeting he gets, it’s a long season for a young guy.
I don’t mind Battle & Members deep forward and King at CHF. Can push Members up if there’s no target to help King out and leave Battle deep forward. Our small forwards and mids would have a field day roving to King just forward of centre.

Back