Preview Round 7, 2021: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 1st May, 4:35PM AEST *CROUCH 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Hawks

Votes: 26 53.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Why does Ratts hate Carlisle

Probably goes back to the old Carlton v Essendon rivalry, he just hates Essendon players.

Paddy played for Essendon too but he's too good to drop.

I think Jake is too good to drop too but he's an easier whipping boy for Ratts.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ryder and Webster back will help a lot. Good to see Bytel back in the best 22. Im guessing Ross and Jones will spend more time on the wing with Dmac out. Long's omission from the entire 25 is well over due.

Lonie extremely stiff to be the small forward dropped. He's been better this year then Butler, and also has a good record again Hawthorn which always comes in handy.

I am slightly surprised Byrnes is in. After watching the Sandy game, I thought he might need another week at the lower level but I am excited to see how he goes. Hopefully he gets some midfield time.

Now Carlisle, is he out because of his back or is he just omitted? Because if it's injury, then list that. If he is omitted and plays at Sandy, then I am disappointed because he is a better defender than Joyce and should be playing in front of them. This one is a wait and see.

No excuses tomorrow.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Carlisle is playing bruise-free footy, a big bloke who wont commit to the hard contest (got a few mates though). Lonie isn't strong enough- cant grab a contested mark..mind you King is over 200cm and cant grab a contested mark.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
I find it amazing with how sh*t we’ve been that people will quibble over fringe selections and which forward pocket is in the team.
I guess when you're getting belted and players you like are getting dropped over others doing worse then it's going to be frustrating.

Carlisle & Lonie were made examples of last year too and then we had our worst patch of the year, seems like a similar cheap out this year.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Carlisle love on here is bizarre. Have you watched him play the last few weeks?
And for those saying he should be in the backline, he’s way too slow. Joyce is no world beater but at least structurally we look better with him in the backline over Carlisle, and he can actually run.
Yeah I love Snake but this year he’s shown he’s simply not up to it. Played brilliantly against west coast but apart from that - meh.

Roddy Grant

Tier 5 ITK - formerly Indie Rock
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
My boss baracks for Hawks, I literally haven't said a word to him all week in fear of jinxing the outcome. His wife brought it up to me this arvo that they were playing lol.

Last time I didn't mention the game ahead of time was when we beat them by 70 or so points in 2017, make of that what you will.

I might also try and buy a win by putting money on Hawthorn to win, I did this with the Swans game last year which worked excellently.

I put $100 on us to miss finals last year just before the GWS game.

Decided if the universe was going to screw me it at least had to pay for it.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
The Carlisle love on here is bizarre. Have you watched him play the last few weeks?
And for those saying he should be in the backline, he’s way too slow. Joyce is no world beater but at least structurally we look better with him in the backline over Carlisle, and he can actually run.
Why would we look better structurally with an absolute potato in the side vs a proven quality player?

Joyce will be lucky to play 10 AFL games, he looked completely lost last week.

saintbill

Premiership Player
Apr 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

100% agree. Carlisle has zero agility, and is a liability.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
We haven't seen Carlisle in the backline this year to determine if it is structurally better or worse.

What we do know is we are leaking goals at a rapid rate and our backline was better last year when Carlisle played in it.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Why would we look better structurally with an absolute potato in the side vs a proven quality player?

Joyce will be lucky to play 10 AFL games, he looked completely lost last week.
Carlisle is no longer quality. Recognised by everyone else at trade time when no interest, a one year contract and our admin who went after Frawley.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Carlisle is no longer quality. Recognised by everyone else at trade time when no interest, a one year contract and our admin who went after Frawley.
Well we have the second worst points against in the comp currently… last time Carlisle played in the backline we beat the dogs in a final, so possibly worth a look IMO, obviously Ratts knows better saints are flying.

Roddy Grant

Tier 5 ITK - formerly Indie Rock
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Carlisle obviously dropped for Ryder.

Shows he was just being played so he could back up ruck and was then stuck forward for the rest of the time having no impact.

Obviously his time as a defender at Saints is done barring a few injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back