Autopsy Round 7, 2022: Hawks fail against Dees

A Diakos

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I come in peace guys. I thought you guys showed a lot of heart. We definitely had the best of the umpires too with guys like Ben Brown getting looked after. Yeah we had 7 premiership players out but the spread and dash from your backline was impressive. And that was without CJ. Good luck for the rest of the season. Future looks bright.
we also had 6 out from our best 22 also

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Loves giving us a bath
Umpires and bad kicking for goal aside he was the difference for Melbourne yesterday.

Our midfielders actually did okay against Melbourne's midfield unit but big Maxy completely obliterated our rucks.

This is what happens in the ruck. Two good rucks nullify each other's impact but if you put a good (okay great) ruck up against a couple of second stringers (apologies to Callow and Lynch) they can turn a game.

It's why we need Reeves back ASAP!

A Diakos

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
People may not like to hear this but I personally thought the Dees played in second gear pretty much the whole night ahead of their clash with the Saints next week. Still proud of the boys and loving our year but I didn’t see this as a ten point game against the reigning premiers in the same way others here are doing.
likely true ......they where also heavily favoured by the umpiring so you take both of these points into account

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Oh and Big Max with the lazy 29 possessions, 6 marks, 35 hitouts and 2 goals today :kissing:

Max when he sees he has the Hawks coming up next week in the draw.....

melbourne football club GIF by Melbournefc
How about the nonchalant fist out of the ruck that cleared the stoppage by 30 metres! He was immense

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Who is they? Because it could just be someone rehashing what’s been written here.

It was Ash Browne mate, who I think has a pretty good connection to the club from what I can gather. The other blokes are just nuffies for the most part who offer up some strange Bigfooty like opinions but Ash is good.

"They" is the guys doing the podcast. I have no idea who they are and what inside mail they have (if any) but they seemed pretty confident about it.

Hopefully it's not accurate.
If it came from Ash Browne then it would mean something.

It was Ash Browne mate, who I think has a pretty good connection to the club from what I can gather. The other blokes are just nuffies for the most part who offer up some strange Bigfooty like opinions but Ash is good.
Yeah agreed.

May 4, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am strangely addicted to the podcast but find myself yelling in the car on the way to work with some of the takes.

Interestingly enough I think Bradkli is a contributer.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
we also had 6 out from our best 22 also
Yeah i think commentators and reporters need to report both sides. I couldn't stand the one sided articles from the match reports.
So the outs for both were:

Dees: Salem, Luke Jackson, Pickett, Petty, Neale-Bullen, Sparrow and Hibberd.

Hawks: CJ, M.Lewis, Reeves/Mcevoy, Grainger-Barrass, Ward, H. Morrison.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great, tough disciplined performance. So far this season Mitchell has absolutely got the best out of the group, he’s doing an excellent job

Melbourne are at that stage where they do enough to get wins without needing to hit their straps and the result never really looks in much doubt. That was us a few years ago. But we kept them honest yesterday and if our skills were a bit cleaner, could have really given them a scare.

Hard to complain as a hawks fan with yesterdays game. Continuing to see development and a good brand of footy.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How good was the Will Day contest on the members wing! Someone post a gif (if possible) please

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
People may not like to hear this but I personally thought the Dees played in second gear pretty much the whole night ahead of their clash with the Saints next week. Still proud of the boys and loving our year but I didn’t see this as a ten point game against the reigning premiers in the same way others here are doing.
They played at the same level of intensity they have against other teams this season , from what I've seen.
Yes they cruise a bit and go through the gears but our performance stood up as well as anyone else has against them.

It was a good positive performance for the team . We now need to roll sides we should which is sometimes a different challenge for a young side

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing today proved to me is that without a doubt Sicily is the next captain of the Hawthorn Football Club.

Absolute gun player and I feel he thrives on having the responsibility of being captain.
You will get physical presence from him too. Definitely won't shy away from getting into the faces of the opposition. He did it again yesterday not allowing Melbourne to bully us. Got stuck into Viney. I rekon he will advocate flying the flag in support of his team mates and we definitely need more of that. Hate seeing teams just walk over us physically.

Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Saints
Can't ask for more than every player having a crack, and the team trying their best to play fast, exciting football. Just gotta get cleaner.

Sidenote: is there anything more boring in football than s**t free kicks to Ben Brown, then watching him take forever to kick for goal 🤮
I agree they were s**t free kicks, but Frost still gave away 3 goals. Right or wrong.

Add that to Gunston and Breust missing some easy ones and we have a winning game.

All other things considered we played really well.

We had 5 missing from our best 22 by my count, but I think just Lewis and CJ back in would've got us the win.

Interesting that on the AFL website Kornes has done a little bit of a backflip on the Hawks in "the round so far". Says now that Mitchell looks like being a special coach, once he has all the pieces around him.

Just went back and checked, Ash brought it up but it was Brad that was running with the "will be traded back to WA" line.
ahh Bradkli, with some uncharacteristic doom and gloom?

Gut Runner

All Australian
Jun 22, 2009
Outer Space
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah i think commentators and reporters need to report both sides. I couldn't stand the one sided articles from the match reports.
So the outs for both were:

Dees: Salem, Luke Jackson, Pickett, Petty, Neale-Bullen, Sparrow and Hibberd.

Hawks: CJ, M.Lewis, Reeves/Mcevoy, Grainger-Barrass, Ward, H. Morrison.

At the end of the day they were missing 6 premiership players and we were missing 1 premiership player who will retire soon and 5 players trying to make it.

Don't assume the same amount as outs as both missing the same quality.

And you can't expect people outside of hawthorn to look at potential the same as proven big game players. It is just the way it is.

Remember when we had a heap of injuries in 2015 and Clarko was ill - we got the job done with Bolton and got lauded for it. It happens when a club is a fine oiled machine. Bolton even got a senior gig out of it.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing today proved to me is that without a doubt Sicily is the next captain of the Hawthorn Football Club.

Absolute gun player and I feel he thrives on having the responsibility of being captain.
If someone had asked me yesterday who was playing in the style befitting of a captain I would've said O'Meara, without hesitation. That may be a reflection of Sicily's leadership, that he appeared to be completely at ease with the © whilst JOM played as if unburdened from the shackles of captaincy.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I reckon Hawks players kicked it to Gawn more than Dees..
Most of the time Melbourne constructed that outcome (I am going to ignore the Sicily brainfade kicking out). Especially when we didn't take on the game.

I sat up on Level 4 and Melbourne's defensive set-up was top class. They are so quick to get into position and had two, not one, floating personnel in the dangerous position very quickly.

Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Saints
Most of the time Melbourne constructed that outcome (I am going to ignore the Sicily brainfade kicking out). Especially when we didn't take on the game.

I sat up on Level 4 and Melbourne's defensive set-up was top class. They are so quick to get into position and had two, not one, floating personnel in the dangerous position very quickly.
I was being a little facetious, but yeah, Melb do that well.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Didn't cost us the win but my gosh the inconsistency in umpiring is just a killer. Either each free kick is paid and we end up with 50-60 free kicks a game or they are provided with a clear intepretation of a rule and adjucate correctly. Its just downright painful.

Absolutely loved the effort of all the boys though

Back