Review Round 7, 2022 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst of it was during that 4 goal blitz, under the 6,6,6 set up we were especially vulnerable because after each bounce they won the clearance.

Need to watch the replay but my recollection is it wasn't until we finally won a centre clearance that we were able to arrest the momentum.
As soon as Fort went into the ruck their supply stopped.

Obviously there were other factors at play but Oscar was particularly poor in that 6 minutes , just gave us nothing.

And I think that's just about the first time I've had to say anything negative about Oscar on here.

Confirmation bias is rampant here. Ever consider the fact that the Sydney forward line didn't appear multifaceted because our defence were doing a good job on the rest of them?

It really feels like you have a view and then interpret the evidence in a way that fits it. It's meant to be the other way around.
Yes I have a view, it’s the same one Quigley has.

But it didn’t influence my comments today, or what I was thinking during the game. Buddy repeatedly marking over the top of Gardiner and Adams influenced my comments.

It’s just coincidence that I’ve been saying our tall defensive set up has been all wrong this season (except for the Gold Coast game, I believe it was, but that could have just been a function of who we were playing).

I've been an advocate of Zorko playing in defence this year.

But I have to be honest and say those 2 goals he kicked were very valuable pearlers.

I don't know whether this is just my impression but since he's played a few games in defence his kicking around the ground seems to have really moved from the sometimes spasmodic to the elite class. Is his foot better ??

But it didn’t influence my comments today, or what I was thinking during the game. Buddy repeatedly marking over the top of Gardiner and Adams influenced my comments.

It’s just coincidence that I’ve been saying our tall defensive set up has been all wrong this season (except for the Gold Coast game, I believe it was, but that could have just been a function of who we were playing).
I don't think Adams has been outmarked all that often this year in a contested situation Britzoon. He's fairly good at getting a hand in there.

To be honest what would you have included from our game in the 10?
Charlie's one on three, four time effort to get the ball over the boundary at the forward 50 arc. That was awesome.

Also Fort is now in the record books - it's impressive to get a record in a professional sport, even if it is a quirky record. I still brag about the 50m breaststroke state record I held until the heat immediately after mine and I didn't even get mine recorded.

Remember when we had an exodus of young players at the end of every year, struggled to keep the margin below 60, couldn’t attract more than 15k at our home ground, had a butter as our major sponsor, and a head coach throttling players.

Now we’re worried about our top 2 team not having any plays in the afl.com top 10, and our first round pick next year being too good.

What a time to be alive.

That was so positive I thought you were sausages.

I can only recall 1 time Adams was marked over and it was a double grab from Franklin on the lead which he has done better than anyone for the last decade. Adams is our best defender and I would trust him getting switched onto any key forward in the competition. I agree with the idea of having Payne's size and athleticism in the team but if he's not good enough at the moment to replace Gardiner then I can't expect the coaches to swap them, having said that I don't think Gardiner is too far off finding himself in the Robinson position potentially, outside of the younger fringe guys I think he is the next position in the team to improve.
Also interested to hear which teams have the good genuinely tall forward lines that you think will give us trouble. Melbourne will have 3 of Brown, Jackson, Weideman and McDonald but I don't believe any of them are good enough to truly take advantage of
Gardiner (our smallest key defender) if there is enough pressure on up the field.

I can only recall 1 time Adams was marked over and it was a double grab from Franklin on the lead which he has done better than anyone for the last decade. Adams is our best defender and I would trust him getting switched onto any key forward in the competition. I agree with the idea of having Payne's size and athleticism in the team but if he's not good enough at the moment to replace Gardiner then I can't expect the coaches to swap them, having said that I don't think Gardiner is too far off finding himself in the Robinson position potentially, outside of the younger fringe guys I think he is the next position in the team to improve.
Also interested to hear which teams have the good genuinely tall forward lines that you think will give us trouble. Melbourne will have 3 of Brown, Jackson, Weideman and McDonald but I don't believe any of them are good enough to truly take advantage of
Gardiner (our smallest key defender) if there is enough pressure on up the field.
Fritsch plays like a tall leading forward.

He's been underestimated and teams need to put a lot more time into him.

Fritsch plays like a tall leading forward.

He's been underestimated and teams need to put a lot more time into him.
I think Starc or Answerth is the matchup for him. Would be happy with Adams on him but I think he's needed elsewhere and I wouldn't trust Andrews or Gardiner on him.

Yes I know both you and Quigley have a particular view on our tall backs, I just disagree with it.

Is the make up of our KPDs ideal? For me no - I'd love to have a Sicily or Ryan style interceptor, or Darcy Moore instead of dizzy. But we can't have everything we want and based on our list, I think its the best one. In the VFL games I've seen Payne has done some good things, and turned the ball over quite a bit just as he always does. More important than that though, Dizzy, Marcus and Harris are settled and we are starting to see Harris back to his best as a result. Bringing in Payne disrupts that. In the future I hope I'm wrong and Payne steps up when he gets a chance - but I think his output has been poor-mixed in most games he has played.

Buddy is in my view arguably the greatest forward ever (certainly the best I have ever seen) and is still a great player. I can't fault Dizzy for being beaten by silver service out of the centre bounce just as I can't blame Marcus for being beaten by Hawk in round 4. Buddy going off the chain is going to happen.

Defence is a team thing and bringing consistent pressure is the most important thing we can do to shore things up. We restricted Sydney to 16 points in a half yesterday - but when our pressure dropped off in the third quarter and they waltzed out of the middle, they scored in a burst. We survived something like 30 inside 50s in the first quarter yesterday because we were pressuring the ball and our talls were in position to sweep it up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you've got time Britzoon I'd be interested to hear you expand a little on that.

There's something not quite right about our tall mix when we have Franklin getting height and agility off his opponent. Of course I know it's Buddy.

I think they're the best players we have and all very good players , I sometimes wonder whether we have the right mix with what we have.
Yes I'm keen cause I don't think you're right. Just watching the VFL and I reckon we've got an abundance of riches

Yes I'm keen cause I don't think you're right. Just watching the VFL and I reckon we've got an abundance of riches
With the start of the season, I haven’t been talking about the mix being wrong, simply that our tall defender set up has not been working all that well.

I don’t know if it’s simply because Harris and Dizzy have been out of form.

Or if it’s us playing a zone, which sometimes sees our defenders guarding space rather than a direct opponent, and an opposition tall forward continually leading in to space, with a tall defender caught out of position.

Or if it’s a bit from column A and a bit from column B.

Or if it’s us playing a zone, which sometimes sees our defenders guarding space rather than a direct opponent, and an opposition tall forward continually leading in to space, with a tall defender caught out of position.

By what quantitative measure is it not working? We’re not conceding scoring shots despite conceding a lot of inside 50s and are transitioning well out of D50.

There’s no defensive unit in the competition that doesn’t occasionally give up marks to tall forwards when the opposition midfield gets a run on. If there is a specific problem with our mix, what is the evidence of it?

A lot of tall forwards from a lot of different teams are kicking bags this year.
I don’t think our defence is the only one struggling against tall forwards.
As a team we are currently the 4 th best defence for points against also one of the highest rated teams for points scored from D50.
And the highest scoring team in the league by quite some margin.
And that could possibly extend even further if they are on the ball against WC.

Last edited:
With the start of the season, I haven’t been talking about the mix being wrong, simply that our tall defender set up has not been working all that well.

I don’t know if it’s simply because Harris and Dizzy have been out of form.

What would you do? Please don’t say Payne because he simply not as good as any of the 3 playing.

We just beat Sydney in Sydney fairly easily did we not? We have lost 1 game at a venue that is s**t and you have to beat a good team and at least 2 of the 3 umps. I know we all hoping for flag but enjoy the journey and these kind if wins.

We just beat Sydney in Sydney fairly easily did we not? We have lost 1 game at a venue that is s**t and you have to beat a good team and at least 2 of the 3 umps. I know we all hoping for flag but enjoy the journey and these kind if wins.
I'm sure we all do.

We're just talking crap and hypotheticals to pass some time reveling in our enjoyment of the footy club.

Not much point going over how good we are ,we all know that . May as well put in our two bob's worth about how we could be a bit better.

It is nice to have that luxury.

It is a little ironic though that no one seems to have anyone in the team currently in the gun , it's some of those not in the team.

Would be really good if these so-called experts of the game did some research into the subject they are talking about......Dwayne Russell on SEN this arvo

was talking about RYAN Gardiner, then tonight on AFL360 Robbo referred to AINSWORTH as playing a good game.

Dumb, lazy reporting.

Would be really good if these so-called experts of the game did some research into the subject they are talking about......Dwayne Russell on SEN this arvo

was talking about RYAN Gardiner, then tonight on AFL360 Robbo referred to AINSWORTH as playing a good game.

Dumb, lazy reporting.

Browny calls him Ainsworth too. It really feels like he only casually follows us these days.

Dumb, lazy reporting.
I like Robbo but elocution is not his strong point!

Back