Review Round 7, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Think About It GIF by Big Potato Games
Brett, if you seriously think the umps don't sometimes allow things other than the pure play influence their decisions, you are the one living in a dream. They are human beings. I agree it is less at the pro level (but it still would happen). . .at community level it is extremely bad. The issue is not the umps it's that the rules allow them scope to make a choice either way.

He's that predictable with it that I nearly blame the other players for not getting to the spot. Same when he punches the ball long from a centre bounce - only Zorko seems to recognise the benefit of getting to the right spot then.

But yes, I do agree that the loopy handball doesn't seem like a great play overall, particularly when he often has someone close to give a short handball to. Still, 9 clearances against a quality ruck combo is worthy of a vote IMO.
38% disposal efficiency shows those 9 clearances where next to worthless

Granted. But there is one leaf I'd like to take from the Rugby rules playbook. Back in the 90's (I think), it was against the rules to lift in the line out. But everyone did it and it was no big deal yet once in a while a ref would pull a penalty out of their arse over it. So, you know what they did? They just said, fk it, lets just allow it. That will stop the ref's being w***ers over it. AFL need to do the same for:
1) Hands in the Back (just allow the contest - players will get the hang of it)
This one I'm ok with because there's nothing a player can do about it. They're on a lead and get shoved in the back under the ball - what can they do to protect themselves from that, when they're the ones playing the ball?
2) Same for the pushing a player over in the contest - just allow it . . .always. If you are strong enough or smart enough to defeat your opponent, well done.
Fine with this one, and they do tend to let it go.
3) The landing in the back rule - what other sport involving tackling limits the tackle in such a stupid way
All of them. Can't hip drop in NRL. Can't horse collar in NFL. Every tackle code has eliminated particular forms of tackle because of the risk of injury. The one that annoys me is the forceful contact below the knee because it's such a lotto - hardly ever paid, most could go either way because it often involves high contact, and added in response to a single incident unlike most rules which are based off a trend of problematic tackles.
4) Deliberate out of bounds - they always work a way to put the darn ball over the boundary if they need to anyway . . .just allow it . . .or ban it totally
100% agree. I actually really like the AFLW rule after watching it more the last few seasons. It's a lot clearer and less judgement based on intent.
5) Requirement to make a genuine attempt to get rid of it . . .get rid of it . . .players vigorously jerking off the ball after being tackled is such a bad look
This seems to have randomly disappeared from a lot of umpires' calls because I've noticed a lot less spasming on the ground, but I agree it really just asks "can you act?"
Re holding the ball - I don't think they should get rid of prior opportunity, but I think they should set some clearer guidelines:
1) make it so there is no such thing as ball being knocked out in the contest - if you have possession and prior op, dispose of it correctly or else it is a free
2) a 360 without disposal DOES equal prior opportunity
3) a tackle that puts a player on the ground DOES equal prior opportunity
4) a player taking two steps DOES equal prior opportunity

More black and white is needed in the holding the ball "interpretations"
Simpler - if the tackle starts more than a second after collecting the ball, you've had your prior opportunity. And agree on the "knocking it out" - that's incorrect disposal, penalise it.

Fun game to watch.

Joe really needs to change his celebration tune, I think maybe "The Gambler" would be more appropriate.

CheeryLonelyGreendarnerdragonfly-max-1mb.gif

AFL needs to call time on human umpires and start developing an AI alternative.

Couldn't possibly make more mistakes and won't get in the way of the players.

Oscar had 81 ruck contests for 30 hit outs, he had 9 clearances from 13 disposals but only 5 effective disposals meaning a lot of time he probably handed the footy back to the opposition

I thought it was one of his better games though because he did limit the influence of quite a good ruck

What I would like to see from him is one contested marking around the ground which has disappeared the last few weeks

Fun game to watch.

Joe really needs to change his celebration tune, I think maybe "The Gambler" would be more appropriate.

View attachment 1674123

Not in favour. Our game has a massive error rate that makes the game exciting and frustrating and infuriating and even laughable.

Umpiring is the same. Take away umpire errors and we'd have nothing to talk about.

It'd be like talking about the freo game all the time. Boring.

Neale, Ashcroft, Dunkley, McCarthy and Payne got my votes. Rich and Zorko good before going off.

Ashcroft is freakishly good. Wilmot has also developed nicely. Two long term Lions players right there.

Fremantle are really bad. We played some poor footy at stages today but Freo didn’t get close to us. Solid win with room for improvement.
thought Starc was pretty good, especially in the first half and of course goal of the year winner, rising star winning dare I say it...norm smith medalist was great

HTB interpretation yesterday was more lax than normal with both team getting away with dropping it. Problem is that once it's tolerated players start doing it deliberately. Then the umps occasionally ping players for dropping it, which leads to some frustration (although I am personally trying to remain calm during Lions games!).

Rewatched a lot of the game last night.

Ashcroft kicking GOTY and unsure whether it warranted high 5's
Andrews, Payne and Starcevich clunking marks in defence
McCarthy ,Cameron,Dunkley and Hipwood applying defensive pressure
McCarthy getting badly crunched a few times and getting straight up every time
McKenna running from deep in defence to mark where the old Gunston would've been leading to . And slotting it.
Oscar at least providing some sort of rucking contest . And some physical presence around the ground
Bailey showing signs of improved form and McCluggage halving his clangers
Doing enough to maintain a comfortable lead throughout.
Neale.

Dislikes:

Rich and Zorks iced up on the bench
If Daniher is going to be so selfish at least slot the goal
Us turning over Freo's turnovers with amazing regularity
Umps cool with the ball carrier being attacked in the head before anywhere else
Eleni looking like a spectator in the crowd not overly interested in the footy and No 12 throwing up stinker city inexplicably

Last edited:
Rewatched a lot of the game last night.

Ashcroft kicking GOTY and unsure whether it warranted high 5's
Andrews, Payne and Starcevich clunking marks in defence
McCarthy ,Cameron,Dunkley and Hipwood applying defensive pressure
McCarthy getting badly crunched a few times and getting straight up every time
McKenna running from deep in defence to mark where the old Gunston would've been leading to . And slotting it.
Oscar at least providing some sort of rucking contest . And some physical presence around the ground
Bailey showing signs of improved form and McCluggage halving his clangers
Doing enough to maintain a comfortable lead throughout.
Neale.

Dislikes:

Rich and Zorks iced up on the bench
If Daniher is going to be so selfish at least slot the goal
Us turning over Freo's turnovers with amazing regularity
Umps cool with the ball carrier being attacked in the head before anywhere else
Eleni looking like a spectator in the crowd not overly interested in the footy and No 12 throwing up stinker city inexplicably
Yes, that one where Joe ignored Zorko was very selfish, IIRC there were other Lions in space as well.

Fun game to watch.

View attachment 1674123

Or..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally got to watch. Weird reading some of the negative comments about the win - 47 points against a team who threw everything at us is a great result.

Top 5 for me: Neale, Ashcroft, Andrews, Starce, Dunkley.

We've become a really balanced team in attack and defence and have proven our gameplan works against the best in the comp. We've got the tools to win it this year. Need luck to go our way, but this is the exact football you'd hope to see early in the season, especially so with upside in the likes of McCluggage, Berry & Bailey.

Finally got to watch. Weird reading some of the negative comments about the win - 47 points against a team who threw everything at us is a great result.

Top 5 for me: Neale, Ashcroft, Andrews, Starce, Dunkley.

We've become a really balanced team in attack and defence and have proven our gameplan works against the best in the comp. We've got the tools to win it this year. Need luck to go our way, but this is the exact football you'd hope to see early in the season, especially so with upside in the likes of McCluggage, Berry & Bailey.
I think Geelong are back to kicking A$# so for mine, that will be the real test

Yes, that one where Joe ignored Zorko was very selfish, IIRC there were other Lions in space as well.

I know the one. This isn’t a great opinion but I’m somewhat ok with him doing it. He is clearly comfortable with that move and I’d prefer he doesn’t start second guessing whether to do it when he is easily in range.

Back