Review Round 7, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All of them. Can't hip drop in NRL. Can't horse collar in NFL. Every tackle code has eliminated particular forms of tackle because of the risk of injury. The one that annoys me is the forceful contact below the knee because it's such a lotto - hardly ever paid, most could go either way because it often involves high contact, and added in response to a single incident unlike most rules which are based off a trend of problematic tackles.

In Rugby if you tackle a player while they’re jumping it’s a straight up red card.

Especially with our lack of key position depth.
People seem to begrudge Lester getting a game and almost wilfully ignore his contribution yesterday.

Compare Lester with Starcevich yesterday to see what I mean.

Lester: 13 Disposals with 84% Efficiency, 4 Marks, 2 Tackles, 1 Clearance, 0 i50, 148 metres gained.

Starcevich: 13 Disposals with 76% Efficiency, 3 Marks, 1 Tackle, 1 Clearance, 2 i50, 115 metres gained.

Lester +1 on marks, +1 on tackles, -2 on i50, +33 on metres gained and +8% on Disposal Efficiency.

Additionally, Lester racked up more one on one spoils as he went the fist. Upshot?
19 people say Starcevich was in our top 5 players / while 7 say Lester was. On the back of his performance people are also calling for Lester to be dropped. Makes no sense. Massive exercise in group think.

Last edited:

David King on First Crack showed a brief highlight package of Big O doing the no look handballs. Some of it might be planned I don't know, but it kinda drives me crazy as well. I hate this because Big O is my boy.

People seem to begrudge Lester getting a game and almost wilfully ignore his contribution yesterday.

Lester: 13 Disposals, 4 Marks, 2 Tackles, 1 Clearance, 0 i50, 148 metres gained.

Starcevich: 13 Disposals, 3 Marks, 1 Tackle, 1 Clearance, 2 i50, 115 metres gained.

Lester +1 on marks, +1 on tackles, -2 on i50 and +33 on metres gained

Additionally, Lester racked up more one on one spoils as he went the fist. Upshot?
19 people say Starcevich was in our top 5 players / while 7 say Lester was. On the back of his performance people are also calling for Lester to be dropped. Makes no sense. Massive exercise in group think.
To be fair I don’t think anyone has called for Lester’s head because he played a bad game.
Just that a lot including myself think we need a bigger body against the taller forward line in Curnow and McKay.
Which will allow Andrews to play a bit more freely which is when he plays his best football.

David King on First Crack showed a brief highlight package of Big O doing the no look handballs. Some of it might be planned I don't know, but it kinda drives me crazy as well. I hate this because Big O is my boy.
38% Disposal Efficiency from Oscar yesterday. Worst in team.

To be fair I don’t think anyone has called for Lester’s head because he played a bad game.
Just that a lot including myself think we need a bigger body against the taller forward line in Curnow and McKay.
Which will allow Andrews to play a bit more freely which is when he plays his best football.
I think we need bigger intelligence, bigger desperation and bigger tank, all of which Lester has over Joyce.
If people care to look at Joyce’s numbers for the GWS game, they were poor, only 7 disposals and zero tackles.

Lester: 13 Disposals with 84% Efficiency, 4 Marks, 2 Tackles, 1 Clearance, 0 i50, 148 metres gained.

Starcevich: 13 Disposals with 76% Efficiency, 3 Marks, 1 Tackle, 1 Clearance, 2 i50, 115 metres gained.

Lester +1 on marks, +1 on tackles, -2 on i50, +33 on metres gained and +8% on Disposal Efficiency.

That represents the stats of what they did personally ... what are the stats of the players they were on ... against whom were they playing ... were they playing the same role?

People are talking about omitting Lester not because of performance but because Joyce has extra height that may be needed for Carlton. I haven’t seen a single comment actually bash Lester or his performance on the weekend and are only concerned about the matchup not being favourable.

Also I feel like you have omitted some key parts of those stats. All three of Starcevich’s marks were contested (most likely all intercepted as well) compared to 0 from Lester. Starc also had 9 intercept possessions (a team high) compared to 5 from Lester. It’s very clear from these that Starc was much more impactful than what you’re making out since these are much more important than metres gained (since neither of these players are halfbacks where this is more expected).

You can look back on some of my old comments and I’m not praising Joyce but I feel like you’re being disingenuous with your statistics. I know you have also sited AFL fantasy points before and I don’t want to be too rude but I feel like you place too much value in statistics that don’t carry any weight. Aaron Hall has racked up so many disposals in the VFL and yet I feel like North Melbourne are silly playing him when they already have two more damaging halfbacks.

I liked Lester’s performance over Joyce’s performance in previous weeks because he knew his limitations as a player and didn’t turn it over horrendously because of it. He’s also much smarter defensively and a good leader. None of these are present in the stats and while I know you know this there’s no need to compare empty stats to try and convince others if they don’t see it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think we need bigger intelligence, bigger desperation and bigger tank, all of which Lester has over Joyce.
If people care to look at Joyce’s numbers for the GWS game, they were poor, only 7 disposals and zero tackles.
I see it as a similar situation to why Fort come into the side against the Melbourne Ruck duo and why Lester come into the team against Freo due to their smaller forward line.
Joyce may need to come in against Carlton to help with their taller forward line.
It makes sense.
For what it is worth I though that Lester played a really good game yesterday.

And with Rich going out there is a chance that Joyce may come in for him and Lester remains in the team.

I know the one. This isn’t a great opinion but I’m somewhat ok with him doing it. He is clearly comfortable with that move and I’d prefer he doesn’t start second guessing whether to do it when he is easily in range.

This moment was so overblown on the forums. When I read people's comments around it, I assumed he'd done something terrible. After watching the game, I absolutely agree that taking a shot wasn't a bad option. It wasn't like he was strolling in under no pressure. He had a second to act and took what he felt was the best option. He's been working his ass off to support team mates and set up goals all year, so people need to stop acting like making a bad decision is the same as being a selfish footballer.

Sorry for the rant, I'm still worked up after BRAB shouted down Rip.

This moment was so overblown on the forums. When I read people's comments around it, I assumed he'd done something terrible. After watching the game, I absolutely agree that taking a shot wasn't a bad option. It wasn't like he was strolling in under no pressure. He had a second to act and took what he felt was the best option. He's been working his ass off to support team mates and set up goals all year, so people need to stop acting like making a bad decision is the same as being a selfish footballer.

BRAB used to be a good man, a kind man. But then he started playing that fantasy football which I don't understand and it changed him. He has become more violent and prone to outbursts. He is breaking my heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legitimate rant. Plenty of cases this weekend of players being too unselfish in front of goal.

You obviously didn’t watch the game again and stats don’t paint the whole story

Lester was good but not great and Starc was the much better player.

You’re clutching at straws week after week for your favourites which would be great if you didn’t ignore the obvious.

Joe has actually done this several times and is a frustration to some of the other players. He had a look ,he knew where Charlie was and decided to ping it from a lot further out . I don't mind anyone having a ping at all mostly but in the situation which he clearly saw he then needed to kick it if he was prepared to ignore better options. Don't want to go back to the situation we had at the start of the year .

Without boring people on the other thread re changes for this week we've now got a good core of players capable of Senior footy who are waiting in the wings so I don't think it matters much who we put in as replacements ,they're all reasonable players and deserve a shot.

For me its not even a question if its a choice between Lester and Joyce - Frog every day of the week primarily for all the reasons you said plus Lester has something Joyce, never will - footy IQ. That being said, I still expect Dizzy to be the choice of the 3 when hes fit again - providing Harris and Payne are ok.

Never had to get out of second gear and still won with a leg in the air.

That was a really poor game of football played in perfect conditions, punctuated by a handful of highlights: Will’s goal; Chuck’s goal, Dunks’ specky (which happened RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME); and, best of all, Eric’s updated choice of goal song.

Lachie wondrous, cameos from everyone else. Thought Starce started showing signs he’s emerging from his funk. Not sure Gunston’s smarts outweigh his declining athleticism.

Hope we get the tackle bags out this week.
A bit long winded, but a good review nevertheless.

Starcevich 9 intercept possessions and 3 contested marks, Lester 5 and 0. Also, played on a more dangerous opponent

Not in the Under 11’s
Saw the best checkside kick for goal from open play yesterday.

Admittedly it was in my daughter's U10s and I'm not sure it was deliberate, but watching the girl bend it through from the left pocket with the ball going left to right was amazing.

But more on topic, she probably should have hand balled it to someone in front of goal... ;)

Joe has actually done this several times and is a frustration to some of the other players. He had a look ,he knew where Charlie was and decided to ping it from a lot further out . I don't mind anyone having a ping at all mostly but in the situation which he clearly saw he then needed to kick it if he was prepared to ignore better options. Don't want to go back to the situation we had at the start of the year .

Without boring people on the other thread re changes for this week we've now got a good core of players capable of Senior footy who are waiting in the wings so I don't think it matters much who we put in as replacements ,they're all reasonable players and deserve a shot.

If it was the same play. the mistake was not going the 1-2 handball with Ashcroft - who would have looped it over the top to Charlis for a stroll in goal.

344395834_939308963977567_8920499747129968219_n.jpg

We're all winners!!

You’re clutching at straws week after week for your favourites which would be great if you didn’t ignore the obvious.
Believe Fagan does the same. Admittedly I don’t like seeing players get injured but this actually is an opportunity and it will be interesting to see who comes in.

Back