Review Round 7, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

People seem to begrudge Lester getting a game and almost wilfully ignore his contribution yesterday.

Compare Lester with Starcevich yesterday to see what I mean.

Lester: 13 Disposals with 84% Efficiency, 4 Marks, 2 Tackles, 1 Clearance, 0 i50, 148 metres gained.

Starcevich: 13 Disposals with 76% Efficiency, 3 Marks, 1 Tackle, 1 Clearance, 2 i50, 115 metres gained.

Lester +1 on marks, +1 on tackles, -2 on i50, +33 on metres gained and +8% on Disposal Efficiency.

Additionally, Lester racked up more one on one spoils as he went the fist. Upshot?
19 people say Starcevich was in our top 5 players / while 7 say Lester was. On the back of his performance people are also calling for Lester to be dropped. Makes no sense. Massive exercise in group think.

I love Lester but not a direct apple for apple comparison.

Starc was on a harder opposition player.

344395834_939308963977567_8920499747129968219_n.jpg

We're all winners!!

FFS, we are meant to be a professional football club and Bailey and Cam are eating big macs.

FFS, we are meant to be a professional football club and Bailey and Cam are eating big macs.
It's an older reference, sir, but it checks out.

I was a little confused with the Answerth sub. What role was he playing? Wonder what they’re trying to do with him - perhaps mould him into a mid/hf?

In Rugby if you tackle a player while they’re jumping it’s a straight up red card.
Yeah, I agree that dangerous acts in tackles need to be controlled, but I don't think landing in the back is actually dangerous. Basically every second open play run down tackle in rugby league is in the back. It does not cause injuries. If you rundown someone from behind and land on top of them . . .it's not dangeous, it's just a darn good tackle and should be rewarded not penalised.

Tunnelling, hip drops, slings, head highs, cannon ball, shoulder charges . . .they're all dangerous and are, rightly, outlawed. In the back in a tackle is nothing.

Yeah, I agree that dangerous acts in tackles need to be controlled, but I don't think landing in the back is actually dangerous. Basically every second open play run down tackle in rugby league is in the back. It does not cause injuries. If you rundown someone from behind and land on top of them . . .it's not dangeous, it's just a darn good tackle and should be rewarded not penalised.

Tunnelling, hip drops, slings, head highs, cannon ball, shoulder charges . . .they're all dangerous and are, rightly, outlawed. In the back in a tackle is nothing.
It was introduced to protect marking players, because they have no real way to protect themselves. Been around forever. It'd be tricky to try to extract it from just the tackle definition versus marking/rucking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes-​

Brisbane v Fremantle​

10 Lachie Neale (BL)
7 Will Ashcroft (BL)
5 Oscar McInerney (BL)
3 Brandon Starcevich (BL)
3 Dayne Zorko (BL)
2 Josh Dunkley (BL)

I watched the game again this morning and was struck with how good Starcevich was, has been down on his best this season, fantastic to see him hit some form.

Coaches votes-​

Brisbane v Fremantle​

10 Lachie Neale (BL)
7 Will Ashcroft (BL)
5 Oscar McInerney (BL)
3 Dayne Zorko (BL)
2 Josh Dunkley (BL)

I watched the game again this morning and was struck with our good Starcevich was, has been down on his best this season, fantastic to see him hit some form.

Silly coaches forgot about Lester

Coaches votes-​

Brisbane v Fremantle​

10 Lachie Neale (BL)
7 Will Ashcroft (BL)
5 Oscar McInerney (BL)
3 Dayne Zorko (BL)
2 Josh Dunkley (BL)

I watched the game again this morning and was struck with how good Starcevich was, has been down on his best this season, fantastic to see him hit some form.

Has he though? Beat Green & Walters. Beat Fritsch pre blackout. Performef against the Dogs. Bobby Hill had little influence.

If anything, he's had an underrated season.

Has he though? Beat Green & Walters. Beat Fritsch pre blackout. Performef against the Dogs. Bobby Hill had little influence.

I think he hasn't been as clean with his marking and with the ball in hand as he has been in prior years and that's led people to believe he's not going well.

Last week he was starting to take clean one grab overhead marks.

Defending a man he has still been very good. But to my eye he has been rusty re his ability to take a contested mark + ball use hasn't been as good (haven't confirmed this against stats).

Defending a man he has still been very good. But to my eye he has been rusty re his ability to take a contested mark + ball use hasn't been as good (haven't confirmed this against stats).

Yeah would definitely agree his intercept marking has improved the past fortnight.

Back