Strategy Round 7, 2023: Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't mind Xon for Trew he didn't touch it in the first half. Xon and Trew would be well aware how tenuous their spot on the list is. It's show or go time this year.
So we punish Trew's lack of touches by bringing in a guy averaging 9 touches?

Trew was played out of position for much of the first half, then looked good when played on ball. I'm befuddled by the omission after one game.

To be fair - XON has played out of position also, I remember last game he was with the forwards during the break. Not sure what they're expecting of him there. Culley at least has some points of difference that XON lacks.

That O’Neill over Trew call could cost us finals this year

Yes, it's a bad call. I wanted Trew to have a good run at it. He has been mostly injured the last couple of years, and we need to see if he can shine. He did well in the 2nd half against Port playing where he should be, at the CB.

So we punish Trew's lack of touches by bringing in a guy averaging 9 touches?

Trew was played out of position for much of the first half, then looked good when played on ball. I'm befuddled by the omission after one game.

To be fair - XON has played out of position also, I remember last game he was with the forwards during the break. Not sure what they're expecting of him there. Culley at least has some points of difference that XON lacks.
I think Trew and Xon average the same so it's really up to one of them to show they can perform at a higher level. ATM neither of them have shown enough to suggest they have much of a future at this level. Maybe Trew will get another chance as the sub.

I reckon XON has the tools - if he threw himself at the ball like a madman he could have a breakout like Bailey did on the weekend.

I don't think Trew has been hard done by. He barely even made it to this year and hasn't really shown anything suggesting he'll make it. Not going to write anyone off while they're still on the list but let's be real, he's a penny stock at the moment.

I reckon XON has the tools - if he threw himself at the ball like a madman he could have a breakout like Bailey did on the weekend.

I don't think Trew has been hard done by. He barely even made it to this year and hasn't really shown anything suggesting he'll make it. Not going to write anyone off while they're still on the list but let's be real, he's a penny stock at the moment.
What have you made of Trew's WAFL performances?

Simpson leans towards more of a back half side and you complain about him leaving a forward in?

We'll get pumped because the team balance is all wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I Dont Get It Over My Head GIF by Lil Jon

I was backing in XON last year, thought he was tidy when he got the opportunity. Not saying he’s regressed, but certainly hasn’t taken any steps forward this year and the impact of Ginbey, long etc don’t help the optics.

His numbers are very average, but I don’t feel unsafe when he has the ball, he usually makes the right, albeit vanilla decisions and his endeavour is hard to question. He just isn’t getting amongst it enough to keep his spot.

Needs to fire himself up and have some swagger. Plays like he doesn’t feel like he belongs at the level even though he seems to have the tools.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There are about 20-30 fairly non descript midfielders knocking around in the state leagues who are in their early to mid twenties with solid endurance, average pace and skills but not really good enough to make it at AFL level. Those are the kinds of guys who maybe get an invite to play as the extra numbers at intraclubs, and job around the WAFL for a decade trying to have a year good enough to maybe get the last rookie spot on an AFL list.

Those guys must wonder what the * XON has done to win the golden ticket.

Last edited:
There are about 20-30 fairly non descript midfielders knocking around in the state leagues who are in their early twenties with solid endurance, average pace and skills but not really good enough to make it at AFL level.

Yep. The stronger clubs delist blokes way better than XON every year. Same goes for Trew as well actually, and lots of others. Our standards are just way lower.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm worried about the three tall forwards vs Barrass and Rotham; really think we should bring Bazzo into the team.
yeah that's clearly the worrying area. Nice night too so gonna be tough.

Obviously their midfield is better than ours too so we need to be on.

Both Adelaide and StKilda showed that their backline can be scored against so hopefully we get the ball down there cleanly enough to give the big guys a run at it.

Oscar 7

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disappointed Bazzo isn't starting at CHB. Rotham was ok last week, but he's not a CHB. Even if Bazzo gets flogged by Mckay or Curnow it's another valuable learning experience. This kid is going to evolve into one of our elite talls in the next couple of seasons. He's composed, good by foot and hand, and he's an above average mark. The Trew/O'Neill argument is a toss-up, I'd go for O'Neill, his arsenal has more in it. When Trew realises he has two feet and can use them to kick the pill he might well prove to be somewhat of a revelation (here's hoping).

There are about 20-30 fairly non descript midfielders knocking around in the state leagues who are in their early to mid twenties with solid endurance, average pace and skills but not really good enough to make it at AFL level. Those are the kinds of guys who maybe get an invite to play as the extra numbers at intraclubs, and job around the WAFL for a decade trying to have a year good enough to maybe get the last rookie spot on an AFL list.

We picked up two of the best state league mids available and they have shown less than XON despite being older, making s**t up.

Need a big game from Darling, on the scoreboard as well...

I'm not disappointed with anything any more (regarding club news, injury list or match list or scores)
I just roll with the punches, maybe I'm punch drunk?
We're on the bottom (fact), but one day our time will come...again!

Name them.
For me, players I rather on our list than XON are as follows (2022 delistings.)

Paul Seedsman (concussion but delisted)
Ely Smith
Caleb Poulter
Cooper Murley
Mitch Crowden
Quinton Narkle
Seamus Mitchell*
Tom Phillips (and trade Gaff - Lol)
Jared Polec (yes - Lol)
Sam Skinner
Matt Parker
Sam Naismith (stop gap)