Women's Footy Round 7, 2023 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• [3] Breanna Koenen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [4] Caitlin Wendland

• [8] Jennifer Dunne

• [9] Orla O'Dwyer

• [11] Phoebe Monahan

• [15] Poppy Boltz

• [21] Courtney Hodder

• [23] Dee Heslop

• [28] Charlotte Mullins

• [31] Taylor Smith

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawes is putting together a great season. She has a real ability to bob up anywhere and influence the game. She is now safely our number two mid after Ally.

Hickie hitting her groove now. Ellinger bounced back from her indiscretion. Ally was Ally. I thought there were plenty of contributors.

Also well coached. We didn’t get drawn into too many aerial battles and made them have to run more than they wanted rather than win marking contests. There are some big units in that team and that is both their strength against similar teams and weakness against our girls who seemed to run them ragged by the end.

Gotta say, the standard of that match was the best between the two teams.
If Gold Coast had more players who could kick as well as ours, they'd be very hard to beat with their talls.

Hodder Mark of the Year it was like Brown’s mark back in 2002.
Goodness me, just saw this, it actually is. Except Brown went back and kicked the goal.

Two in two weeks for Hodder. Couldn't believe she bounced straight up after getting smashed when she took that mark against Collingwood last week.

Too brave for her own good perhaps. Like Browny.

First time I've seen Dunne's touted athleticism on display. She seems to be getting into the swing of things - handballing still looking a little Gaelic thought. Similarly, Boltz looking more comfortable which is allowing Koenen to play on ball.

Wasn't the leading possession winner, but geez that was a game from Ellenger. Practically every one of her disposals were damaging, plus her run.

On Orla, you'd love to see her fumble a little less - it puts her under pressure when she eventually gathers.

I'm not normally one of the Kelli Underwood detractors but her refusal to pronounce Lily Postlethwaite's entire surname has given me the pip today
I didn't notice, but if she was saying "posslewait" that's how it's pronounced if you can believe it.

First time I've seen Dunne's touted athleticism on display. She seems to be getting into the swing of things - handballing still looking a little Gaelic thought. Similarly, Boltz looking more comfortable which is allowing Koenen to play on ball.

Wasn't the leading possession winner, but geez that was a game from Ellenger. Practically every one of her disposals were damaging, plus her run.

On Orla, you'd love to see her fumble a little less - it puts her under pressure when she eventually gathers.

I think Orla really has been a bit more fumbly this season and I think, oddly, it may be because her understanding of the game has gone up and she better knows what she wants to do, but is rushing to get it done, rather than just get the ball and play more instinctively as she has in the past.

I feel her mind is just a touch ahead of her hands at the moment. I think she will find the right balance gradually.

Hodder didn't even win mark of the week let alone mark of the year 😳
View attachment 1836057
Hickey took 3 better marks than Jones in the one game last week.
But both players were talls taking a solid mark over other players.

Maybe voters thought Hodder should have been suspended for a high hit on her opponent while taking MOTY

"That's almost the highlight of AFLW over eight years and it's not Mark of the Week?" Starcevich said on Friday morning.

"I know it's a fan vote, but at some point we have to acknowledge something that was exceptional in our competition, because it drags your audience in as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"That's almost the highlight of AFLW over eight years and it's not Mark of the Week?" Starcevich said on Friday morning.

"I know it's a fan vote, but at some point we have to acknowledge something that was exceptional in our competition, because it drags your audience in as well.

Check out Adelaide's record of Goal and Mark of the Week this season if they're nominated.

Pretty clear someone's spamming the votes.

Back