Review Round 7, 2023: Northern Bullants v Box Hill Hawks, 6 May 2023, 2.05pm @ Preston City Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Any reports on Hustwaite and his future star status?
He's being played as a HBF due to no room in the guts. Stephens played a lot more around the stoppage so HH does not have a slot. HH is clever with the footy but this season should be all about him gaining weight. HH started the game strongly but as BHH took control the defenders did not see much of the footy.

He's being played as a HBF due to no room in the guts. Stephens played a lot more around the stoppage so HH does not have a slot. HH is clever with the footy but this season should be all about him gaining weight. HH started the game strongly but as BHH took control the defenders did not see much of the footy.
HH is a great prospect. Looks too lackadaisical sometimes, especially as the seniors is a lot quicker. He could be a ripper this kid

I ventured out to Cramer st yesterday, second vfl game in person for the year. Ramsden was exceptional. Thought he was stiff to get dropped after 1 week and he played like he thought the same. McKenzie really powerful, going to need all the tricks as his pace might be questionable at next level. Can’t understand why dgb and blank don’t play afl, as KP players they need to play have good days and bad. Wasting time at VFL level. Butler had some luck but it was just reward for being hardest working player on the ground. Mightn’t have all the tricks but work ethic afl standard. With the exception of Morris throw a blanket over the majority other Hawthorn players who regardless of age are good vfl players but won’t play in a good Hawthorn senior side.
Unsure of this because bmac is an exciting player and we have just scratched the surface with him

Reckon HH is also being played at hbf to get him to kick the ball more. He dishes off by hand a bit too much.
I think his hands might be more reliable than his feet, from the smallish sample size of my observation.

His kicking is not 'bad', but I think his best trait is that finding of time and space while not really moving ("OMG...Did someone say Pendlebury???") and finding someone in a better position by hand.

Box Hill social media is fantastic during the week, but why does the match report always take 24+ hours to appear?

My son interned at another VFL alignment and had to have the match report up within 30 minutes of the end of the game every week.

Box Hill social media is fantastic during the week, but why does the match report always take 24+ hours to appear?

My son interned at another VFL alignment and had to have the match report up within 30 minutes of the end of the game every
Hey mate, I do the BH content and just for context, I'm a team of one.

Game day is a pretty long day once I've covered it from go-to-woah on socials and behind the lens (helped out by our brilliant action photographer Jordan), interviewed a player or coach, edited that together, published it etc... Last night and today I simply didn't have the time to put together the match report in and around other commitments.

More, this weekend would be the first round of the year a match report hasn't been live on our website the same day as the game. It'll go up tonight.

And really, I'll let you guys be the judge, pound-for-pound our socials go alright.

Sean

I ventured out to Cramer st yesterday, second vfl game in person for the year. Ramsden was exceptional. Thought he was stiff to get dropped after 1 week and he played like he thought the same. McKenzie really powerful, going to need all the tricks as his pace might be questionable at next level. Can’t understand why dgb and blank don’t play afl, as KP players they need to play have good days and bad. Wasting time at VFL level. Butler had some luck but it was just reward for being hardest working player on the ground. Mightn’t have all the tricks but work ethic afl standard. With the exception of Morris throw a blanket over the majority other Hawthorn players who regardless of age are good vfl players but won’t play in a good Hawthorn senior side.
Sorry, can you explain who this includes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone has covered the main guys. I really like BMac I think we’ve got one there. what I am liking is his disposal by foot seems to improve week on week and he is tougher than I thought especially given his size. Thank god we have a back flanker coming through…
ann b davis alice nelson GIF by HULU

Everyone has covered the main guys. I really like BMac I think we’ve got one there. what I am liking is his disposal by foot seems to improve week on week and he is tougher than I thought especially given his size. Thank god we have a back flanker coming through…
ann b davis alice nelson GIF by HULU
Yep looks likely. With Seamus and Weddle it's going to be exciting to see them run and gun in the future. We need one of them to move up the ground and give us break away speed and add something different to our midfield.

I find great value in reading the opposition’s take on the day. Here is what the Ants said:

By: Daniel Kelly (ukurrie)

The Northern Bullants couldn’t maintain their fast start against Box Hill during Round 7 of the 2023 VFL Premiership and were defeated 15.18 (108) to 8.3 (51).
The Ants leapt out to a 22-point lead at quarter time, kicking the first four goals at Genis Steel Oval, taking full advantage of the ever-present Preston wind.
But the Hawks fully capitalised with their turn with the breeze, piling on nine goals in the second quarter to take control of the match.
Whilst the Bullants slowed the Hawks momentum after half time, Box Hill still cruised to a 57-point victory.
The Ants welcomed back Finnbar Maley, Matthew Gundry, Ben Hurley, and Sam Hayes to the side. Cam Wild was also a late out which gave Marcus Kane his debut for the club. Making way were Sean Martin, Zach Morris, Billy Barnes, and Mitch Jorgensen. Saad El-Hawli, expected to be a weapon off half back when recruited, continued to show his forward capabilities, kicking four goals. Jean-Luc Velissaris, Brandon Ryan, Perry Lewis-Smith, and Nathan Honey added singles.
Velissaris was again the Ants main ball winner (28 disposals), Tyson Young was also busy (23 and six clearances), and Patrick Fairlie, Spencer Johnson, and Matthew King (21, 21, and 20 disposals respectively) were the other key drivers. King took a game high 10 marks.

Sam Butler kicked four goals for the Hawks and Jaylen Thorpe three. Cam Mackenzie (30 disposals) and Callum Porter (29) were the key possession winners for the Box Hill.
However Max Ramsden was pivotal for the Hawks with 22 disposals, 35 hit outs, 11 clearances and topped it all off with two goals.
Perhaps due to the conditions, the Ants possessed the ball less than their average (-40) and certainly less than the Hawks (-73). Maley was a welcome return in the ruck and the Bullants saw an immediate increase in tap wins. However, as is often the case, this is not always a direct link to clearance wins, with the Ants losing that category comfortably (-25) and down on their season average (-12).

BULLANTS 4.1 5.1 7.1 8.3 (51)
BOX HILL 0.3 9.9 11.15 15.18 (108)

GOALS
Bullants:
El-Hawli 4, Velissaris, Ryan, Lewis-Smith, Honey

Box Hill: Butler 4, Thorpe 3, Ramsden 2, Phillips 2, Stephens, Mackenzie, Koschitzke, Bennetts

BEST
Bullants:
Velissaris, El-Hawli, King, Johnson
Box Hill: Ramsden, Mackenzie, Porter, Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back