AFL Autopsy Round 7: 37 Point loss to Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe some of the call for Colyer to be dropped or to be even let go of.
He's been a bit inconsistent coming back from the year off but has had a few really good games, is a very important player for us and is still only 25.
Rest him if he needs a rest but otherwise he should play as many games as possible this year to help get his touch back IMO.

From early in the third what was really apparent was our lack of spread. And not only that, it seemed like we were barely ever winning the ball when it came to ground.

In some ways, in light of that it seems remarkable that it took as long as it did for the floodgates to open.

I think what pisses me off is that it was frustratingly predictable.

We were never going to run away with the game, we were always going to capitulate late.

And I've had a gutful of it to be honest.

We show no ability to adapt, and I strongly question the fitness level of the players.

From early in the third what was really apparent was our lack of spread. And not only that, it seemed like we were barely ever winning the ball when it came to ground.

In some ways, in light of that it seems remarkable that it took as long as it did for the floodgates to open.

I was at the ANZAC day game.

You were noticably out of juice compared to then

We were never going to run away with the game, we were always going to capitulate late.

We show no ability to adapt, and I strongly question the fitness level of the players.

I think this is where the annoyance for the fanbase comes in. We know it's coming, and it's been happening repeatedly for about 7 years without any real change. They get themselves into a very winnable position and then let it slide away; you can forgive last year as an outlier, and yes there's some returning players still finding their feet, but when the same s**t has been happening for close to a decade questions have to be asked about just what the hell is on going on.
I didn't watch the game yesterday as I was out with family, but checking the scores on the phone and both my brother and I turned to each other when we saw that we were only 2 points up at 3QTR time and said "it's over".
Where is the plan and tactics that are going to stop this? It's not 'get more kms into the legs' because that's a strategic aim and it seems to have done SFA for most of the playing group, so what's the actual plan when we begin to slow and start leaking goals?
Outside of the crapfest that was the Carlton game we've conceded over 80pts to our position in every game, yet we don't really seem to be doing anything different through the midfield or backline.

And yes, you can blame the weather and compressed schedule to explain some of it away, but none of that was really unexpected. We got the fixture last year and knew Anzac Day into the Demons was a short turnaround, but seemingly had no real plan in place on what to do about it. It's hotter in Perth than Melbourne during the footy season, and you can get stupid weather conditions in Melbourne on a weekend. None of those things should have had the level of impact they seem to have had. It's like we get caught by surprise for everything and just take a guess on the best way to muddle through

Yes. The theme that seems to be emerging is that we are not as fit as we should be.

Perhaps, but it was stinking hot yesterday. Like sitting still and sweating like a pig hot
I think this week you'll struggle more. 6 day break, traveling after that heat is going to suck arse

Perhaps, but it was stinking hot yesterday. Like sitting still and sweating like a pig hot
I think this week you'll struggle more. 6 day break, traveling after that heat is going to suck arse
Was it stinking hot up at the Gold Coast for Geelong's game? I hope so because there's no doubt the heat was a factor and will be a factor.

Mental Toughness is an issue with this team as a whole. Our resilience and composure when we have the ball is inconsistent and our determination and pressure on the opposition can't be maintained over a game. We can't even protect a lead. A few have predicted that this team will be cherry ripe around 2019-2020 so if we compare that to our last strong period of 1999-2001, then is it too far fetched to compare our current stage of development to the Marshmallow years of 1997-1998? Are the Marshmallows back folks!

Was it stinking hot up at the Gold Coast for Geelong's game? I hope so because there's no doubt the heat was a factor and will be a factor.
24. Not stinking but definitely warmer than Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mental Toughness is an issue with this team as a whole. Our resilience and composure when we have the ball is inconsistent and our determination and pressure on the opposition can't be maintained over a game. We can't even protect a lead. A few have predicted that this team will be cherry ripe around 2019-2020 so if we compare that to our last strong period of 1999-2001, then is it too far fetched to compare our current stage of development to the Marshmallow years of 1997-1998? Are the Marshmallows back folks!

Yeah it is :)
The '97 team was bad (injuries played their part), but the 98 team was ok, just had to go up against a powerhouse Nth Melb in their first final. Remember that in the lead up to '99 we went Semi Final in 95 (should have beaten Richmond), Prelim in 96 (could have beaten the Swans) and then a step back in 97/98 while we solidified the roster. The current lineup doesn't have that kind of development behind them, and they especially don't have the experience that the older players of that era had which included a heap of finals experience.

None of that is to say that we can't build the group coming through now into a good finals team, it's just that they'll have to discover a different way to do it

Yeah it is :)
The '97 team was bad (injuries played their part), but the 98 team was ok, just had to go up against a powerhouse Nth Melb in their first final. Remember that in the lead up to '99 we went Semi Final in 95 (should have beaten Richmond), Prelim in 96 (could have beaten the Swans) and then a step back in 97/98 while we solidified the roster. The current lineup doesn't have that kind of development behind them, and they especially don't have the experience that the older players of that era had which included a heap of finals experience.

None of that is to say that we can't build the group coming through now into a good finals team, it's just that they'll have to discover a different way to do it
1997 was an aberration with horrible injuries being the main reason as to why. We'd just come off a prelim in 1996 and returned to being decent, if inconsistent, in 1998 - and then of course we went bang from word go, more or less, in 1999.

Poor scheduling, should never have had to go and play in Perth on the back of playing 2 games in 6 days.

Poor scheduling, should never have had to go and play in Perth on the back of playing 2 games in 6 days.

But we did, and we knew it back in November. It's a national game and we're going to have to travel. At some point (hopefully) as a club we are going to have to learn how to deal with uncomfortable stuff such as playing in inclement or adverse weather and spending a few extra hours on a plane

But we did, and we knew it back in November. It's a national game and we're going to have to travel. At some point (hopefully) as a club we are going to have to learn how to deal with uncomfortable stuff such as playing in inclement or adverse weather and spending a few extra hours on a plane

Its all very well to say we knew it and had the chance to plan for it, but maybe there is no planning for that, what could they have done different? They were clearly out on there feet in the second half.

We are the only Victorian based club to have played 3 matches interstate in the first 7 rounds, Melbourne haven't played any, it has been poor scheduling no doubt about it.

Its all very well to say we knew it and had the chance to plan for it, but maybe there is no planning for that, what could they have done different? They were clearly out on there feet in the second half.

We are the only Victorian based club to have played 3 matches interstate in the first 7 rounds, Melbourne haven't played any, it has been poor scheduling no doubt about it.

Without knowing what they actually did it's hard to say what else they could do/change, maybe try flying to Adelaide immediately after the game or the next morning and then heading to WA midweek to start acclimatising might help. But my greater point is that within any schedule there will be at least on period that's pretty rough and will have to be overcome. We (as in the team/club as a whole) never seem to be able to overcome this, it's always the weather or the travel or the fixture or something else that allows us to pass off another loss as the fault of something outside of our control

I think the most frustrating part is that we are capable of winning games like this. In the first half, Fremantle simply couldn't match us. We were amazing. Our midfield was firing, but we didn't take advantage of it on the scoreboard. Still, 27 points is a sizeable lead. Then we conceded two late goals before half time and the rest was just so predictable. Just like the Brisbane game was predictable. And the Melbourne game. We even lost the lead to Collingwood in the 3rd and Hawthorn in the second after being 20 odd points up in both games, but they aren't great.

Basically, we will always lose a lead no matter how big it is. How we win is if we can find another gear, which we can't seem to do consistently at the moment.

I actually thought we played really well for a large part of the game. Sure we coughed up another relatively substantial lead which is frustrating but some of the footy we played was pretty darn good. I agree throwing out the baby with the bathwater would be absurd.

This joint after wins and losses, lol. Footy fans are so damn bipolar.

Exactly. Hell, that first half was easily some of the best footy we've played all year (imo).
Not bad for 3 games in 12 days.

Calthorpe, Sommerville, Grenvold and Wallis as well. You're absolutely correct, it's not about a team of superstars, it's about the right players in the right positions as part of a team and ensuring that areas of weakness are offset but areas of domination
Disagree with Grenvold. He was an outstanding player and not a plodder. Watch his 93 prelim, cos he was phenomenal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back