Toast Round 7 = Adelaide 58-59 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep - reinforces the theory that all you get with more umpires is more inconsistency and more incorrect decisions. Astonishing that they can make 50:50 calls so often and then with 4 field umpires on the ground, they fail to correctly interpret blatant free kicks
And yet Four umpires was meant to equate to less mistakes and better consistency wasn’t it? 🤦‍♂️

IMO sr, they are trying to police reckless actions that impact the head. For example, there is no rule that states a sling tackle is illegal. There is no rule that mentions the force of a sling tackle. Ergo a sling tackle is legal at any force. The AFL has deemed it a reportable offence.
Happy to be corrected if I have this wrong.
A dangerous tackle is both a free kick and also citable for the MRO and in the MRO guidelines it mentions arms pinned and slung to the ground as a type of dangerous tackle.

They're treating reckless differently to you, less strictly. If it's a football action accident it doesn't get cited - outside of the few actions that they've listed where they don't tolerate accidents eg bump to the head. And there's a couple of others that were traditional actions that they're trying to remove - eg sling tackles.

Last edited:
The Crows autopsy thread is one of the classiest reads ive seen on here. Theme seems to be its lucky we won otherwise the umpiring would be a massive story. Very rare supporters will admit umpiring was harsh on an opposition. Commendable by them
Yup, especially when you lose the game. Bombers a perfect example the week before of how it usually goes :)

The Crows autopsy thread is one of the classiest reads ive seen on here. Theme seems to be its lucky we won otherwise the umpiring would be a massive story. Very rare supporters will admit umpiring was harsh on an opposition. Commendable by them
I just said the same thing to my son. I've never seen anything like it from an opposition forum after a bitter loss like that. Credit to them.

Last edited:

They all must be Victorian Crows supporters, given their aptitude to make a fair and reasonable football adjudication….

I jest, I jest… Just some lighthearted fun, but kudos to their supporter base!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

5 day break.. check
No Pendles.. check
Player subbed out in q1… check
Playing away against an in form club..check
No recognised ruck..check
Flu through several players..check
Abysmal umpiring?… check
Win?.. check.

CARN THE MUDDAFUGGIN POIZZ!!
So I’ve been fortunate my latest stint in Adelaide (I’ve been there some 5 times this year, including the Showdown, but not the Gather Round) coincided with the Pies visit, and what a privilege to witness another epic remarkable win - just like last year‘s Essendon and Carlton amazing finishes, this is one I’ll never forget. The reasons outlined above by Mongo Ming are all valid reasons why we should never have won this game …. and yet, once again, they found a way. By all common logic, the Pies should’ve been out of our feet in those last few minutes - but there they were, throwing themselves as hard as they could, running, smothering - and believing. Three scoring shots in the last 2 minutes, desperately getting the ball back each time from the kick outs, defying all odds.

One slight criticism of Mongo‘s post - he describes the umpiring as “abysmal”. Now, I’m (normally) not one to slag off at umpires, but in this case, I think’s Mongo’s description of “abysmal” was being too kind to them. Never seen a worse umpired quarter than the last quarter.

One other thing - I was with a bunch of Crows supporters at the game and others were all around me. They were whinging about the umps even as they were racking up free kick after free kick, seemingly umpiring to the crowd noise, but they did wind back the whinging a lot in the last quarter and some even admitted they were getting a great ride like never before. But as I was celebrating rather loudly at the end, one middle age bloke walking down the aisle started yelling about how the Crows were cheated blind by the umps (he was actually being serious!) - and directed all his rage at me. Now I was too euphoric to care what he said, so just laughed and gave him 2 big thumbs up, which, for some reason, only enraged him more. Prodded by others, he walked on, still yelling about the umps cheating to get the Pies their win. He must’ve been totally seduced into his own delusion by the Kane Cornes Vic bias conspiracy theory.

Anyway, of all my many visits to Adelaide (it’s a far better city than either Perth of Brisbane IMO to visit - great food and wine), this is by far the best - FLOREAT PICA!

And if not cheating, you know the umpiring was down right appalling when my Eagles fanatic GF questions why Collingwood don’t receive obvious free kicks.

Why all this focus on the umpires? Yes they made mistakes but as Fly said we all make mistakes but we move on. It just detracts from the quality of the win. In any case the umpiring did not cost us the game. This is one of best Collingwood footy teams in the past 20 years and it’s a great privilege to be able to witness this greatness. Let’s all celebrate and enjoy. There is so much more to look forward to.

Floreat Pica

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a stat on the Adelaide forum that we have beaten them by less than a goal 11 times in our 42 meetings!
That’s incredible, last night and the Chris Tarrant goal after the siren in 2003 rank as my top in those close wins.

I have watched it. Stevo actually followed him and despite clear indications from RR to stop, continued to suggest the Melbourne player had ducked. It wasn’t until he re-enacted the ducking motion that RR gave the 2nd 50m. Absolutely nothing wrong with RR’s actions. Not sure how you think it wasn’t justified, it was clear dissent. I’ll leave it there.
Was only descent if you're a soft utensil or an attention-seeking whore

Last edited:
Won't get cited - it was a football action and in-play
Funny, that didn’t seem to matter when Maynard got cited for his awkward spoil attempt last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back