Toast Round 7 = Adelaide 58-59 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure of his official role, but Roughie certainly seems to have the ear of Fly on the bench. Seems to be a vital cog in the coaching team.

You can see him laughing on the bench with one of the other staff members when the final siren goes. Like a "you're joking, again?" laugh. Was funny to see.

I'm not sure of his official role, but Roughie certainly seems to have the ear of Fly on the bench. Seems to be a vital cog in the coaching team.

Interesting point. I’m trying to recall if Roughie always sits on the bench and interacts with Fly in that way.

Fly also seems to stand throughout games. No skulking up the back of the coaches box for him, like Hardwick.

He should probably give that back, coaching with one ear would surely be at least a little more difficult

Interesting point. I’m trying to recall if Roughie always sits on the bench and interacts with Fly in that way.

Fly also seems to stand throughout games. No skulking up the back of the coaches box for him, like Hardwick.
Just checked:

Jordan Roughead​

Opposition and Development Coach

Yeah exactly. I was waiting for the other shockers to be addressed. Did they think there was only one?

The Murphy sequence was a bit different because it involved duty of care to an injured player and support staff. It’s the kind of thing that transcends sporting codes - even somebody who’d never seen a game of AFL before would recognise it as ugly and plain dumb. The AFL would want to send a message that that’s unacceptable up and down the leagues.

The others were simply poor application of the rules, which happens to some extent in every game which the AFL prefers not to be accountable for (“Umpiring AFL footy is hard …”)

So he scouts opposition games, documents their processes etc and advises on tactics. Spends a lot of time on planes.
Either that, or in front of the TV watching tapes. Also Senior Assistant and Midfield Coach for our AFLW team.

The Murphy sequence was a bit different because it involved duty of care to an injured player and support staff. It’s the kind of thing that transcends sporting codes - even somebody who’d never seen a game of AFL before would recognise it as ugly and plain dumb. The AFL would want to send a message that that’s unacceptable up and down the leagues.

The others were simply poor application of the rules, which happens to some extent in every game which the AFL prefers not to be accountable for (“Umpiring AFL footy is hard …”)
Given Richardson stated both the Murphy high contact non-call and the blood non-call were both errors, I am not sure how much more accountable they could be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want to commend Jordan on his restraint when he was pinged for deliberate in the last.

At that point I wanted to live in Florida and assuage my grievances by purchasing an assault rifle to take my frustrations out on something fluorescent.

As a player, every part of my being would have wanted to express some very vigorous dissent.

I know that umpiring is a hard job, just like I know that umpires can be daft w*****s.

I just want to commend Jordan on his restraint when he was pinged for deliberate in the last.

At that point I wanted to live in Florida and assuage my grievances by purchasing an assault rifle to take my frustrations out on something fluorescent.

As a player, every part of my being would have wanted to express some very vigorous dissent.

I know that umpiring is a hard job, just like I know that umpires can be daft w*****s.
The win helped me get over it, but even better, now that Richardson has conceded the errors, you know there has to be some woke little snowflake of a scump who feels let down by the AFL as they didn't support him.

Didn't even mention the Johnson free. Nor the points raised by three other coaches. Limited accountability

I too was impressed with how De Goey handled that. Very disciplined, and the right thing to do given our ‘live the moments’ mindset.

AJ, on the other hand, ripped into the umpire which I thought was good too. Best of both worlds.👏

Just out of curiosity, was anyone here watching the game on Sunday at The Grand Hotel in Richmond?

Cracking pub and there were a few Pies fans who were well and truly up and about come the end of the game.

Thing is he made his point, put across his criticism but he did it diplomatically.
"We all mistakes.
I thought what the hell is that?
We move on!"

"Does it need explaining?
It probably does.
I'm not going to pursue it"

The Crows autopsy thread is one of the classiest reads ive seen on here. Theme seems to be its lucky we won otherwise the umpiring would be a massive story. Very rare supporters will admit umpiring was harsh on an opposition. Commendable by them
I’ve noticed some excellent comments by some good sports on the Crows site.
Many said well done to Collingwood and we’re just an outstanding team.

I’ve noticed some excellent comments by some good sports on the Crows site.
Many said well done to Collingwood and we’re just an outstanding team.
The Crows have been amazing in terms of sportsmanship. Even the Dons were decent. It's been the Saints so far who have been the most feral, with many of them cheering on Murphy's off-ball concussion even days after the event. Makes the victory against them all the sweeter though.

Given Richardson stated both the Murphy high contact non-call and the blood non-call were both errors, I am not sure how much more accountable they could be?

Agreed!

(And I said as much about the Murphy sequence because it was a duty of care issue)

It was the other stuff (Johnson, Moore, etc) that I was referring to with accountability.

The Crows have been amazing in terms of sportsmanship. Even the Dons were decent. It's been the Saints so far who have been the most feral, with many of them cheering on Murphy's off-ball concussion even days after the event. Makes the victory against them all the sweeter though.
That’s pretty poor form on their part. They should know better than to make light of concussion after poor Paddy McCartin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back