AFLW Round 7, AFLW Season 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Friday, 7 October

6.10pm AEDT: St Kilda v Carlton, RSEA Park (7mate: Melb, Adel, Syd & Bris)

5.10pm AWST: West Coast v Richmond, Mineral Resources Park (7mate: Melb & Perth)

Saturday, 8 October

1.10pm AEDT: Sydney v Gold Coast, Henson Park (7mate: Syd & Bris)

2.40pm ACDT: Adelaide v Fremantle, Unley Oval (7mate: Adel & Perth)

5.10pm AEDT: North Melb. v Brisbane, Arden Street Oval (7mate: Bris)

7.10pm AEDT: Hawthorn v Port Adelaide, Skybus Stadium (7mate: Adel)

Sunday, 9 October

1.10pm AEDT: Essendon v Geelong, Reid Oval

3.10pm AEDT: Melbourne v W. Bulldogs, Casey Fields (7mate: Melb & Perth)

5.10pm AEDT: Collingwood v GWS Giants, Victoria Park (7mate: Syd)

I'm tipping:
StK by 3
Rich by 50
GC by 9
Adel by 30
BL by 18
PA by 1
Geel by 6
Melb by 24
Coll by 12

Don't really think Richmond will win by so much. West Coast just make it that easy to have no confidence in them. Why, with the second game in Perth, can't the Friday night matches start 60-90 minutes later than what they've been scheduled? Beats me.

Frankston is the place to be on Saturday night, believe it or not. Free swing for Hawthorn, but the knives will come out for Port Adelaide if they lose this one. And unfairly so. I've heard more about Fremantle missing Gemma Houghton. Weird how that works.

Scenario: Syd def GC, NM def BL, WB def Melb. Those upsets would leave an 8-point gap between 8th and 9th, with 3 rounds left--a sign that the competition is too uneven, which is a reason given by the AFL for only having 10 rounds. Yet those upsets in and of themselves would actually suggest the competition is very even. Weird how that works.

BOM has it absolutely pissing down in Sydney tomorrow, particularly for the second half of the Swans game. Might be the recipe needed for a breakthrough win, as it was for the Giants back in 2017. Looks like it'll be fineish weather or not too bad for all the other games.

Hope Im wrong, but surely Richmond are way under the odds at $1.07. West Coast have had some decent games, we are struggling to score, Brennan out again, it could be close.

Carbone out again. A victim of the league. Super quick, good goal sense, but the league isn't set up for small forwards.
Hawks stacked for Wing's which is her other position

Only way that Dal Pos goal could've been better is if it was kicked by Stevens (not that it would get a fraction of the attention as last week in any case).

Pretty sure Carbone would be getting a game if she could do that.

Moody best captain of all time. And almost went full WWE wrestler by comandeering Sarah Olle's mic in the post-match interview. A proper imposing presence, unlike some of these coat racks getting around.

Have to update this from R2
But Vescio had 11 disposals... which doesn't sound like much, except this is a player who has a 10-1 win-loss record in games of 11+ disposals (whereas Jess Wuetschner, no better comparison, is 6-6).
Make that an 11-1 win-loss record now (and 2-0 this year). Hence smh about Harford's stubborness last week.

North a definite chance against Brisbane I think. Lions forwards are struggling a bit, especially Davidson who seems to have lost some confidence. Usually it's being masked by the sheer amount of ball being pumped inside 50.

One thing I don't like about the AFLW is those blowout type games like Carlton had against St Kilda.

The way the game is once you're few goals up it's over.
A margin of 5+ goals and it's over.

3-4 goals and it's still possible, and seemingly getting more possible over time. I think 2021-present has had 7.3% of games feature comebacks (or close calls--i.e. final margin of less than a kick) from a 3+ goal margin, while the first three seasons was 4.2%.

Season 7
Essendon in R2 trailed by 22, lost by 1.
Carlton in R4 trailed by 19, drew the match.
Hawthorn in R5 trailed by 26, won by 4.
Hawthorn in R6 trailed by 18, won by 3.
W. Bulldogs in R6 trailed by 19, lost by 1.

Season 6
Adelaide in R6 trailed by 24, lost by 1.
Melbourne in R7 trailed by 23, won by 3 (against Brisbane).
W. Bulldogs in R7 trailed by by 24, drew the match.
Gold Coast in R8 trailed by 24, lost by 3 (the "Perkins miss" game).

Carlton in R4 trailed by 22, won by 5.
Fremantle in R7 trailed by 21, won by 4.
Collingwood in R7 trailed by 18, lost by 3.
Fremantle in R8 trailed by 27, lost by 5.
GWS Giants in R9 trailed by 18, drew the match.

Gold Coast in R3 trailed by 19, drew the match.
Carlton in R4 trailed by 18, won by 8.
North Melb. in R6 trailed by 18, won by 46.

Melbourne in R2 trailed by 20, lost by 4 (led by 15 early in Q4).
W. Bulldogs in R7 trailed by 28, lost by 3.

none

Melbourne in R2 trailed by 19, won by 19.
Carlton in R7 trailed by 24, drew the match.

Carlton, despite dominating, only led by a historically not-unassailable margin of 24 points at HT last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been watching Sydney vs Gold Coast for 10 mins and all I have heard is how much Sydney players love the club, how good their coach is and how well their forward line functions. Good pieces of play by Gold Coast completely ignored and they are 22 points in front. Not sure who the commentators are but so one sided it is sickening.

Hampson goes a high hit on Privitelli, and since then the Swans have barely laid a finger on her (a few weak broken tackles at best). Showing not only are they a team light on for talent, but they have absolutely no tough senior players... other than Lauren Szigeti, who's 22, and has 1 disposal to HT.

Been watching Sydney vs Gold Coast for 10 mins and all I have heard is how much Sydney players love the club, how good their coach is and how well their forward line functions. Good pieces of play by Gold Coast completely ignored and they are 22 points in front. Not sure who the commentators are but so one sided it is sickening.

Trying to talk up the new team with 0 wins and finding positives in how we're travelling, can you blame them? Plenty of praise for Rowbottom amongst others.

How can you go to the break without showing ONE replaying of that Gould mark, *en idiots.
And they keep putting up the graphic of Marinoff's most disposals being 35, even though she had 36 two weeks ago. Intolerable, unacceptable!

Great stuff by Mim Strom, legs AND brain working fast there (rare combo for the bigs) to kick that last goal of the quarter. Sets it up beautifully for a grandstand finish.

Fact: Ashleigh Woodland benefits from playing for Adelaide.
Also a fact: She'd kick even more goals playing for North Melbourne.

The way Tahlia Randall is fed... sickening, considering how often she blows golden chances.

Meanwhile the other Randall, Chelsea, burned Woodland quite a bit today. A number of leads that Garner would've honoured rather than going for glory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back