Opinion Round 7 Changes vs. Essendon (Sutty & Tabs in for Sherro & Logue)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts exactly. Collins is what? 22/23 years old and is 194cm and 90kg. He played 12 games in his 1st season last year because we had no choice and were down to our bare bones in Key defenders. At one point, We only had 2 key defenders at one point that were not injured and that was Sam Collins and Zac Dawson.

Again, I can understand why freo haven't played him in some games as we are rotating the team and playing youth. At least we know what we get with Collins. Yeah we could take the risk of getting another 18 year old and develop him for 3-5 years and theres a good chance he wont be a good as Collins. Again, I hope we sign him to a long term deal. 2-3 years is fine with me. It would be Bad List management if Dawson, Johnson and Collins All leave in2017 and all we got left as talls down back is Logue, Hamling and an Injured Alex Pearce
Cox ?

[Re: Docker82's post though not having a crack at him specifically which is why this isn't a reply]

I'm like most of us that want APearce to meet the potential we have hoped for him, and also that he gets over his serious leg injury, has no more such serious injuries, and hasn't lost any of his pace and agility. HOWEVER, I'm getting a little tired with the propping up of the shiny new toys, just because, well they are shiny, were a high pick so we need them to do well to justify Freo using that pick for them, and their hair is just so thick and lustrous.

I'm rarely one to go to stats as I realise their deficiencies but seriously, for their small number of games, Collins beats Apearce in every stat. Check the Freo site. The only thing Apearce has over Collins is 3cm of height and 1 goal when the forward experiment failed and we realised Alex struggles to kick over 40m for goal. Collins also has the VFL experience with the Box Hill Hawks, was their CHB, and helped them to the premiership before Freo took him. He would have been trained in the Hawks ways during their period of success. Everything I have seen when he has been out there is a smart footballer, sidestepping experienced forwards, taking his marks, and usually marking smart disposal decisions. He seems to be doing well for Peel too.

The contrast in the lack of respect given to Collins for what he has done in his small number of games, and the pedestal given to Alex, I find just absurd (though common on BF). I can see him going elsewhere from lack of opportunities while Ross continues to play 10 second Igbu, and becoming an important cog in a Vic club's defense.
Absolutely spot on. Couldn't agree more.

Absolutely spot on. Couldn't agree more.

Collins isn't blessed with pace. Do we need another slower tall back with the way we are trying to run the ball out. Ibbo is in the firing line but could Collins line up on the smaller quicker forwards . I like Collins but playing devils advocate maybe he has been told to work on his pace. I hope that Nyhuis, Ryan and Collins all get an extended run at it later in the season.

As I said before... I do live in SA and Yes I have Seen Brennan Cox Play, Like Griffen Logue, can play both ends on the ground. From the same club we got Pav: Woodville West Torrens In the SANFL. As I said when we got him, I am a south Adelaide Panthers fan in the SANFL and I saw him play well in Both souths vs WWT games.

too early to predict he can make it. I don't expect him to play any games for freo this season. He Might get a debut game late In the season. He is definitely behind Sam Collins in the pecking order though.

Collins isn't blessed with pace. Do we need another slower tall back with the way we are trying to run the ball out. Ibbo is in the firing line but could Collins line up on the smaller quicker forwards . I like Collins but playing devils advocate maybe he has been told to work on his pace. I hope that Nyhuis, Ryan and Collins all get an extended run at it later in the season.
Can't you move hamling to play ibbo role he look quick to me and move collins to play daniher . you need some flexibility when come to that . who would have thought Neale and mundy can kick so many goal before Melbourne game . I am not asking for big change just tweak a bit with personal with their current role.

Can't you move hamling to play ibbo role he look quick to me and move collins to play daniher . you need some flexibility when come to that . who would have thought Neale and mundy can kick so many goal before Melbourne game . I am not asking for big change just tweak a bit with personal with their current role.

Yep for sure that could happen but that still doesn't change Collins lack of pace. Daniher is quick for his size and not a stay at home forward.

I am OK now with those changes , hope collins have a good game vs Claremont and keep knocking the door with peel , salim I not disagree with you regarding collins pace.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep for sure that could happen but that still doesn't change Collins lack of pace. Daniher is quick for his size and not a stay at home forward.
;) you worried me when you said lack of pace , normally your lack of pace to me is griffin and hannath pace :p

Name one tall defender in our side that is blessed with pace?

Put it this way, If you had to choose between Sam Collins and Zac Dawson to play this round, who would you play? I will give you a clue: Collins at worst is a semi reliable kick and Dawson cant kick if his life depends on it.

Put it this way, If you had to choose between Sam Collins and Zac Dawson to play this round, who would you play? I will give you a clue: Collins at worst is a semi reliable kick and Dawson cant kick if his life depends on it.
To add a bit more How many intercepted mark Dawson take in his whole career. I will take collins anytime can intercepted mark ,fists the ball, and average kick . Dawson ,ibbo mix into one with lack of pace compare to hamling .

totally agree. Our backline is in transition. No need to get rid anyone except the older crew. Ridiculous to be thinking that because he hasn't been played early in the season that he is therefore unwanted. If A Pearce gets the all clear and if Cox and Logue power ahead, then things may change. But those are big ifs.
Agreed.... Logue has been given a few games and has shown something. As I have said, Collins will play at leas 10-12 games for the dockers this year, most of them in the 2nd half of the season. Mainly because Alex Peace is injured and Cox is only 18 fresh from the SANFL and still needs to develop.

Thank * Sheridan out. Happy with Tabs in. Don't mind Logue coming out he's had his taste and first goal now, could benefit from a spell in the WAFL

Sutcliffe though....

But there isn't really anyone else is there?

Hamling is super quick.

Tabs in is good news, hope he's 2nd ruck and MJ stays back

Hamling is quick and Johnno is quick thinking and evasive. Zac D is not playing and isn't being considered. I don't follow what you're getting at there. Whats wrong with Sam being told what he is deficient in and working on it. I say more power to him because he is working hard and not bitching and sulking in the seconds. His time will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back