Preview Round 7 changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been a tough start to the season, with the team selection hampered by a lot of injuries and other issues.

I would have preferred to see Schache and Crozier in the 22 but the MC is obviously trying to get the balance of the team right in the absence of key players. Schache's omission is likely connected to the need to keep playing Bont forward for extended periods, and to inject a bit more pace, i.e. Vandermeer and Roarke Smith.

Hopefully guys like Martin and McComb will be better for last week's run.

Tomorrow will see a golden opportunity for a few of our lesser lights to stand up and make a case for a regular spot in the senior side.
Let's hope they take it.

I hope we can win but far from confident. Over last 9 home & away games (including last 3 in 2021) we have won 2 and lost 7 one of those was against the roos. Our team on paper except for our midfield is looking poor and the GWS demolition of the crows on the crows home deck makes our performance last week look even worst.

The only thing that gives me any confidence is it at Marvel and this game is an absolute must win and Bevo has a good record in these games.

Wallis is a consistent, multiple goal kicker, he doesn't try and take speccies over the back of packs, he gets his hands on the ball, he know where to present away from Naughton, he's patient. All those ingredients have been missing from the forward line all season and we need to win games.
It probably speaks to where this side is at the moment. Back to 2020 levels of mediocrity where our best option is to play Wallis as a pseudo full forward.

It probably speaks to where this side is at the moment. Back to 2020 levels of mediocrity where our best option is to play Wallis as a pseudo full forward.
That's one way of looking at it. Another is to include Wallis in a multi faceted forward line of Naughton/Ugle-Hagan the aerialist, Bruce/Cordy the bull, Weightman the high pressure small assisted by another from among Vandermere/Scott/Johannison etc, English/Martin/Sweet the resting ruck-marking target, Wallis/Hannon third presenter.

Last edited:
That's one way of looking at it. Another is to include Wallis in a multi faceted forward line of Naughton/Ugle-Hagan the aerialist, Jones/Cordy the bull, Weightman the high pressure small assisted by another from among Vandermere/Scott/Johannison etc, English/Martin/Sweet the resting ruck-marking target, Wallis/Hannon third presenter.
Arthur Jones?

um guys im a member going to my first game this season. How do I get into the game when the card they gave me says it doesn’t admit me to games? There’s no text messages with ticket links like last season.
I’m so confused!

um guys im a member going to my first game this season. How do I get into the game when the card they gave me says it doesn’t admit me to games? There’s no text messages with ticket links like last season.
I’m so confused!
You need to download your digital ticket.

I suggest you download the Western Bulldogs App onto your phone (if you haven't already) and hopefully you will be able to download the digital ticket directly to your phone, from the membership section of the app.

If all else fails, there should be some club membership people at Marvel stadium that will be able to help you.

I’m so confused!
Read Proffessor's post first then try

1. Open the Club App on your iphone. You may have to log on using your username/email address and password. Mine appears to be on all the time.

2 At the bottom of the screen, in the middle, you should find “Members”. Touch it. Another window should open and in the middle of the screen is the word “Membership”.

3. Scroll down. You should find 3 choices

(a) Membership Barcode

(b) My Digital Card

(c) Contact Us.

4. Touch or tap “My Digital Card” What you should see is a list of games with a picture of Bont in the middle. Tap on the game you want to select

5. Immediately below Bont’s photograph you should see a panel with the Wallet Symbol and the words “Add to Apple Wallet”. Tap on that.

6. Then open the Wallet App on your iphone and your ticket should be there.

Where Melbourne have it over us is a dominant ruckman and faster rovers. You could argue May, Lever and possibly Langden also but the damage is done before that IMO.

Score, or be scored against, every restart is a centre bounce with 6 6 6. It's the closest thing to a set play you can get with a dominant ruckman and faster midfielders. And Melbourne have us covered.

At the end of the year, someone, hopefully us, has to find a way to beat that. We were able to compete for a half in the GF before we got dominated by Gawn, Oliver and Petracca.

Gawn is central, but I don't think we can compete and hold him for a full game. And then, much like in the GF, his already quicker and at least equally talented rovers reap the rewards. Even if English develops well and parity is possible, he might be 12 to 24 months away from it.

There has to be a solution with the cattle we have or Melbourne are winning the next 2 or 3 on the trot barring injury. I don't think we or anyone else is stopping them (again, injury not withstanding).

My solution (in part) is to use their strength against them. Let Gawn win the CB tap while our nominated ruck (not English) is lighting his ass up because winning the tap is not his focus. None of our rovers go for the ball. Play the man, always get defensive side, body and block them, do whatever, but whatever possession they get is cleared under intense pressure giving our defence a chance of not staring down the barrell of lace out delivery at every CB when Gawn inevitably gets on top. We might win the odd one by accident but we're a much better chance of forcing a stoppage ball up where we can compete to win the ball with more congestion and less risk.

Darcy, the freo ruckman, is one of the few ruckman in the league who I think could genuinely compete with Gawn for the whole game and where I think you could allow your midfield to go head to head with the Melbourne midfield without employing a purely defensive focus at CBs. We're not there and won't be in Septemeber. We need plan B

I'd be putting Naughts and Bont back and moving CD fwd of the ball at CBs as well. That's unconventional but 6 6 6 is not something that's been seen prior to last year (or was it the year before:think:) in 100+ years of footy either.

Melbourne are perfectly equipped for this new set up. We less so. But there must be a way.
I tend to disagree that gawn is a big issue. It was Jackson in the middle v English in the GF. It was their bull mid petracca that did the most damage. These types tend to give us, and every other team in the comp, issues. Cripps and stringer are other recent examples v dogs.

So I wouldn't go as defensive against Melbourne as you suggest. But definitely would try to cover petracca. And our only real option with speed and strength is Smith.

Which is another reason why I'd trade Dunkley. We're loaded with quality inside mids, particularly with Smith plaything there more, which we need because of his pace. And dunks doesn't have pace and is a poor kick. I imagine dunks is getting plenty of minutes there atm because he provides little value in other positions. He'd be a quality pick up for another team. We just don't need him imo. And inside mids aren't difficult to find if needed in the future, e.g. Keays and Brodie. Plus we have McLean and potentially West as depth.

What we desperately need is quality delivery going inside F50. We dominate entries for poor return. Trading dunks gives more time for Bont, Treloar and libba in the middle. And potentially gets us a pick to use on a developing winger who uses the ball well. Most teams have one e.g. Langdon, Sidebottom, I Smith, McLuggage, Hill...

I tend to disagree that gawn is a big issue. It was Jackson in the middle v English in the GF. It was their bull mid petracca that did the most damage. These types tend to give us, and every other team in the comp, issues. Cripps and stringer are other recent examples v dogs.

So I wouldn't go as defensive against Melbourne as you suggest. But definitely would try to cover petracca. And our only real option with speed and strength is Smith.

Which is another reason why I'd trade Dunkley. We're loaded with quality inside mids, particularly with Smith plaything there more, which we need because of his pace. And dunks doesn't have pace and is a poor kick. I imagine dunks is getting plenty of minutes there atm because he provides little value in other positions. He'd be a quality pick up for another team. We just don't need him imo. And inside mids aren't difficult to find if needed in the future, e.g. Keays and Brodie. Plus we have McLean and potentially West as depth.

What we desperately need is quality delivery going inside F50. We dominate entries for poor return. Trading dunks gives more time for Bont, Treloar and libba in the middle. And potentially gets us a pick to use on a developing winger who uses the ball well. Most teams have one e.g. Langdon, Sidebottom, I Smith, McLuggage, Hill...
Yes you're right it was more Jackson on English that day which makes me think it could have been a potentially worse outcome (if that's possible) given that Gawn is 10cm taller and 11kgs heavier than Jackson. Either way, Melbourne are in great shape when they have quality ruckman who can both impact around the ground also. That's going to be difficult for anyone to counter.

I'm hopeful that Timmy will become competitive against the best rucks eventually but that might not not be this year or next (I don't discount it completely though) but even then he'll need help against Melbourne with their depth, as a solitary ruck will simply be worn down by the Melbourne duo. There will inevitably be a period of ruck dominance to Melbourne, it's just when it starts and for how long it goes. That period might be dominating a tiring Timmy and the 2nd ruck or (hopefully) just the second ruck, or dog help us from the first minute..

When that kicks in and they're streaming out of the centre square with monotonous regularity, I'd go completely defensive at the bounce to try to force a stoppage and also put our best marks and fastest closers behind the ball in defensive 6. Naughts would be one and possibly Engish too on their resting ruck (if he's there) rather than fwd. Both will be starved of possession and not impacting fwd if that plays out anyway.

It's an evolving theory....

I agree on the delivery going forward and I think our under pressure clearances from CBs and dump kicks play a part in that also. Haven't quite made up my mind on how much time Bont, Treloar and libba spend in the middle and in what circumstances and when. But all are effective delivering especially with time and space. Dunks get all year for mine before any conclusions are drawn.

Dod help me, but I tuned in...very briefly...to OTC the other day and they were talking about Hawthorn v Melbourne. Iirc Hawks made their wingers keep their width to stop Langden and co running and roaming into vast expanses of unoccupied territory and played someone behind May/last melbourne defender as often as possible. I like both tactics against Melbourne and also have a theory about not only playing someone behind May/last Melbourne defender but also that someone being a rabbit. Hard to keep track of them when they're behind you and can also then kick over the Melbourne defender on a fast break/turnover and to space if need be knowing the rabbit will likely get the jump on the defender in terms of where it's going and will be hard to catch. Might also stop Melbourne compressing the ground when we try to get out of D50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes you're right it was more Jackson on English that day which makes me think it could have been a potentially worse outcome (if that's possible) given that Gawn is 10cm taller and 11kgs heavier than Jackson. Either way, Melbourne are in great shape when they have quality ruckman who can both impact around the ground also. That's going to be difficult for anyone to counter.

I'm hopeful that Timmy will become competitive against the best rucks eventually but that might not not be this year or next (I don't discount it completely though) but even then he'll need help against Melbourne with their depth, as a solitary ruck will simply be worn down by the Melbourne duo. There will inevitably be a period of ruck dominance to Melbourne, it's just when it starts and for how long it goes. That period might be dominating a tiring Timmy and the 2nd ruck or (hopefully) just the second ruck, or dog help us from the first minute..

When that kicks in and they're streaming out of the centre square with monotonous regularity, I'd go completely defensive at the bounce to try to force a stoppage and also put our best marks and fastest closers behind the ball in defensive 6. Naughts would be one and possibly Engish too on their resting ruck (if he's there) rather than fwd. Both will be starved of possession and not impacting fwd if that plays out anyway.

I agree on the delivery going forward and I think our under pressure clearances from CBs and dump kicks play a part in that also. Haven't quite made up my mind on how much time Bont, Treloar and libba spend in the middle and in what circumstances and when. But all are effective delivering especially with time and space. Dunks get all year for mine before any conclusions are drawn.

Dod help me, but I tuned in...very briefly...to OTC the other day and they were talking about Hawthorn v Melbourne. Iirc Hawks made their wingers keep their width to stop Langden and co running and roaming into vast expanses of unoccupied territory and played someone behind May/last melbourne defender as often as possible. I like both tactics against Melbourne and also have a theory about not only playing someone behind May/last Melbourne defender but also that someone being a rabbit. Hard to keep track of them when they're behind you and can also then kick over the Melbourne defender on a fast break/turnover and to space if need be knowing the rabbit will likely get the jump on the defender in terms of where it's going and will be hard to catch. Might also stop Melbourne compressing the ground when we try to get out of D50.
Did you ever coach, NW ?

Not this game. Never even played. Wish I had. Was born and raised in Aotearoa. Kicked an oval ball but the game had different rules.
Not bad for a rugger-bugger / bum sniffer. I have a couple of good mates who have coached at U 18, University and bush footy level. You are right up there with them in your appreciation of tactics.

I was once told by a student of RU that the French RU national teams of the '90s are reputed to have engaged in "mischief" in the way they moved the ball laterally and their dealings with the refs. I had no idea of what he meant. Any idea ?

Not bad for a rugger-bugger / bum sniffer. I have a couple of good mates who have coached at U 18, University and bush footy level. You are right up there with them in your appreciation of tactics.

I was once told by a student of RU that the French RU national teams of the '90s are reputed to have engaged in "mischief" in the way they moved the ball laterally and their dealings with the refs. I had no idea of what he meant. Any idea ?
If by "mischief" they are referring to lateral movement of another kind of ball then they were well known for and it as well as eye gouging and biting.

One very revered AB who was causing them grief was left incapacitated by a "stray" boot at half time. The result of his lateral ball movement courtesy of the French saw him being stitched up in the changing rooms after the game, without anisthetic.

Not sure about refs. I thought that was the Springboks and their gold watches but the French were capable of doing anything except win a war......

They were also brilliant to watch on their day and us a few times.

If by "mischief" they are referring to lateral movement of another kind of ball then they were well known for and it as well as eye gouging and biting.

One very revered AB who was causing them grief was left incapacitated by a "stray" boot at half time. The result of his lateral ball movement courtesy of the French saw him being stitched up in the changing rooms after the game, without anisthetic.

Not sure about refs. I thought that was the Springboks and their gold watches but the French were capable of doing anything except win a war......

They were also brilliant to watch on their day and us a few times.
Are you Al Murray ?

My informant seemed to be saying that they were able to forward pass and convince the refs that they had done nothing wrong. Thanks for that response. infomative.

Are you Al Murray ?

My informant seemed to be saying that they were able to forward pass and convince the refs that they had done nothing wrong. Thanks for that response. infomative.

Forward passes are very line ball generally, especially at that level where every inch is contested or matters. Home team probably gets the rub like most sports.
However, in the case of the French, it's plausible that perhaps a certain photo of a certain ref with a certain mademoiselle the night before might surface if the call didn't go the right way.....it would explain a lot of less line ball calls🤣

Forward passes are very line ball generally, especially at that level where every inch is contested or matters. Home team probably gets the rub like most sports.
However, in the case of the French, it's plausible that perhaps a certain photo of a certain ref with a certain mademoiselle the night before might surface if the call didn't go the right way.....it would explain a lot of less line ball calls🤣
Thanks, perhaps my informant didn't really understand RU. Such cynicism. I like mischief, it's the fine line between fun and dishonesty. There's a story told about Ted Whitten that at one coin toss, which he lost, he grabbed the footy and jogged out of the centre pointing to the end he wanted to kick to, Bobby Skilton, opposing South captain, and the umpire too dumbfounded to object. I've a couple of personal anecdotes about the great J P R Williams for another exchange. Good stuff.

If I remember correctly Hannan played a similar role in our win last year v dees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back