Unofficial Preview Round 7 Changes vs. West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Hill out and Barlow in is still a net positive for the side, not ideal but still a better side.

Wanted to disagree... thought about it, but concluded that against the mob we're playing on the weekend, you're probably right.

So who replaces hills role as a run an carry? Danyle pearce usually runs off half back and gives the delivery and this is what hes best at. Can sheridan run and carry?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Really not too sure about the bolded. At all. I think his contested and pressure side (who'd a thunk it?!) is actually his best attribute these days. For a soft player, he doesn't look at all soft these days.

Sheridan can run and carry. Even looks a bit like Hill.

But as an option.. The Speaker (I think) suggested that Croz did much better through the midfield than he did in the forward line last week. And I think Crozier's kicking and use would be very handy somewhere in our midfield. Just hope he can keep the pressure up, and remember where he's supposed to be when the ball's going back the other way.

Would like to see what the young fella could do as an outside mid. Our forward line has some competition. But there aren't that many pacy, creative, accurate long kicks in our midfield that're also good decision makers these days. I count one. And he's not playing this week. PearceD ticks nearly every box, but I'm not sure about the execution. Either way, Croz has a few tools that Shero doesn't... provided Croz stays in the game for the four quarters.

Would like to see the young bloke get a shot out an outside, play-maker role... if only as a sub. Because it's hard to see him getting attention.

IMO Hill out and Barlow in is still a net positive for the side, not ideal but still a better side.

Last week maybe, week before (vs Sydney) yep. This week, not so sure. One thing that WC don't handle well is hard running, fast mids. I think we can cover Hill well enough, and Barlow, assuming he's up to the full rigours of an AFL game, would go a long way to making up for Hill's loss for sure, but TBH, if I had a choice of either for this game, and given Barlow's coming back from injury, I'd probably take Hill.

Mind you, I'll happily take back that comment and post lots of these :oops: when Barlow wins his 4th (is it?) RG medal after leading us to a great win.

Really not too sure about the bolded. At all. I think his contested and pressure side (who'd a thunk it?!) is actually his best attribute these days. For a soft player, he doesn't look at all soft these days.

Sheridan can run and carry. Even looks a bit like Hill.

But as an option.. The Speaker (I think) suggested that Croz did much better through the midfield than he did in the forward line last week. And I think Crozier's kicking and use would be very handy somewhere in our midfield. Just hope he can keep the pressure up, and remember where he's supposed to be when the ball's going back the other way.

Would like to see what the young fella could do as an outside mid. Our forward line has some competition. But there aren't that many pacy, creative, accurate long kicks in our midfield that're also good decision makers these days. I count one. And he's not playing this week. PearceD ticks nearly every box, but I'm not sure about the execution. Either way, Croz has a few tools that Shero doesn't... provided Croz stays in the game for the four quarters.

Would like to see the young bloke get a shot out an outside, play-maker role... if only as a sub. Because it's hard to see him getting attention.

I would be happy for Crozier to take Hill's role. His last qtr against North was strong and if he can maintain that, with Danyle on the other flank, we wil have quality forward delivery.
This is Hayden's big chance and in this team, these opportunities are valuable.
I am only suggesting Croz over Sherro based on their last qtr of footy.

I don't think Selwood is strong enough to tag Barlow, Mundy or Fyfe so I think DPearce who has had successive good games, might get some attention. Selwood would be well behind on pace though against Danyle.
Crozier could slip under their guard in that situation.

Last edited:
I would be happy for Crozier to take Hill's role. His last qtr against North was strong and if he can maintain that, with Danyle on the other flank, we wil have quality forward delivery.
This is Hayden's big chance and in this team, these opportunities are valuable.
I am only suggesting Croz over Sherro based on their last qtr of footy.

I don't think Selwood is strong enough to tag Barlow, Mundy or Fyfe so I think DPearce who has had successive good games, might get some attention. Selwood would be well behind on pace though against Danyle.
Crozier could slip under their guard in that situation.

Strangely I'm not overly concerned that hill is out. West coast are full of outside runners such as hill so we wouldn't want to try and out compete them in that department. With Fyfe ok and Barlow back it's the inside where freo will do a number on them. My buddy can take up the slack with some assistance... he's been on fire this year.

Schofield, glass, mckenzie and brown... that's a lot of height in the slime backline. Can't afford a repeat of our approach against north.

Need to find other targets besides pav, and need to ensure that if there is a bomb, that whoever is under it busts a gut to mark it or get it to ground... and we NEED a crumber right there.

Fyfe, barlow and mundy could be very handy as marking threats in the forward lone, matched up against the smaller slime mids.

Schofield, glass, mckenzie and brown... that's a lot of height in the slime backline. Can't afford a repeat of our approach against north.

Need to find other targets besides pav, and need to ensure that if there is a bomb, that whoever is under it busts a gut to mark it or get it to ground... and we NEED a crumber right there.

Fyfe, barlow and mundy could be very handy as marking threats in the forward lone, matched up against the smaller slime mids.
Enter Hayden Ballantyne. I'm also still highly suspicious that Barlow won't play. I think (hopefully wrong) he'll be a late withdrawal.

So we didn't play SCOS, Hannath at Peel today and Shero only on limited game time.

Normally they'll hold one or maybe 2 at the most out of WAFL action, so all three reeks of a late change. Either RTB has something in mind or we're covering for some known issues: last minute fitness tests (for Barlwo for e.g.), covering for the flu that isn't (Fyfe), that sort of thing.

So we didn't play SCOS, Hannath at Peel today and Shero only on limited game time.

Normally they'll hold one or maybe 2 at the most out of WAFL action, so all three reeks of a late change. Either RTB has something in mind or we're covering for some known issues: last minute fitness tests (for Barlwo for e.g.), covering for the flu that isn't (Fyfe), that sort of thing.
Getting me worried now Papa, though they don't seem replacements for Barlow or Fyfe directly or indirectly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a worry, but the holding over of Sil and Hannath sounds more like concern over a Clarke and/or a key position (Mayne, Johnson ect).

Hopefully we are making WC think we are trying to match their larger than normal amount of talls and then we change no one and run them off their legs!

Getting me worried now Papa, though they don't seem replacements for Barlow or Fyfe directly or indirectly.

Shero would be.

But I'm not suggesting Fyfe or Barlow (more likely) as the only ones, it could be someone else that we don't know about too. Just making the point that it's very unusual to hold out all 3 emergencies from WAFL action. It almost certainly means we're covering for a some known doubts hanging over a player or two, and increases the chances that we'll see a late change.

Hill is a big out. was instrumental in that last derby win (Eagles home game) with a massive last quarter leading us to overrun them. this is a major danger game. not feeling too confident

I do not think there are any rabble teams any more. Any Given Sunday. Freo need their A game to beat a handy WCE lineup.
I did qualify it by saying we would need to be at 90% (probably A-). As for there being no rabble, just ask Saints fans how they feel this morning.

My point is, if we expect to finish top 4 this type of game should be our bread and butter. I just added a bit of disrespect towards the Eagles because well I just really really dislike them.

If we lose this we'll be on equal points with St. Kilda and Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back