Game Day Round 7: Collingwood v Adelaide, Sunday - 4.40pm - Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're the only one I've heard say Markov was awful on Tuesday. Even those bagging him out prior to the match have all conceded what a great game he played on Tuesday.
A barnstorming final quarter glosses over a fair bit, but we were 5 goals down at three quarter time - yet supposedly everyone had a blinder.

Markov did some good things in the last quarter, but he had his share of headless chook moments in the first three.

I don't think he'll ever be far out of the team, but with Murphy and Adams back, a couple have to be left out. 2 out of Markov, Ruscoe, and Kreuger - slight chance of WHE if they keep Kreuger.

Last edited:
tbh, Markov did have a good last quarter, but geez, his first half... this was my reaction at the time

He reminds me of Mayne in such a way. Gives 100% but geez, heart in mouth stuff sometimes with ball in hand. You never know what's gonna happen lol

A barnstorming final quarter glosses over a fair bit, but we were 5 goals down at three quarter time - yet supposedly everyone had a blinder.

Markov did some good things in the last quarter, but he had his share of headless chook moments in the first three.

I don't think he'll ever be far out of the team, but with Murphy and Adams back, a couple have to be left out.
Who said everyone had a blinder? Seriously, some posters on here carry on as if we're 17th on the ladder, lost by 6 goals on Tuesday and no player bar a couple contributed anything at all. It feels like this is a forum with opposition supporters the way some carry on and pick everyone, every word & every player to pieces. We had a brilliant last quarter. Everyone played their role. We won, ffs. Talk about bringing the vibe down after a great Anzac Day match.

Who said everyone had a blinder? Seriously, some posters on here carry on as if we're 17th on the ladder, lost by 6 goals on Tuesday and no player bar a couple contributed anything at all. It feels like this is a forum with opposition supporters the way some carry on and pick everyone, every word & every player to pieces. We had a brilliant last quarter. Everyone played their role. We won, ffs. Talk about bringing the vibe down after a great Anzac Day match.
We're flying, but ANZAC celebrations are over and the match committee have to drop a couple. And it's not just going to be based on that wonderful last quarter - as it's a four quarter game

As a collective they all did their bit.
Really amazing to watch.
The game goes for 4 quarters. Some made big mistakes and improved in the last.
Zero to complain about.
Even Kelly was killing it with his efforts.
Well said mate.

Ah, another magnificent high. Anzac day proved to live up to the hype. And I don't mean the remembrances, I mean the Collingwood Blitzkrieg that smashed through the Essendon forward positions, drove deep into their defences, encircled them, and obliterated them. Erwin Rommel would have been proud -- even if he was on the wrong side way back then. And then there was the sadness of the Dons supporters, who must have had so much hope at 3 quarter time that their Maginot line would hold up. And then they realised that the Maginot line was worse than ineffectual. But enough World War Two analogies, especially when I'm comparing Fly to Rommel. But it just seems so apt! Fly is the modern Desert Fox. The master of mobile warfare!

So a confession: I got last week's tip wrong - I thought the Dons would get us. I admit it. Finnish was wrong. Thank God. Cheers for those who corrected me. But I did pick the changes to the last man. Anyway, onward!

The Crows and Crowing

And so we face Adelaide on their home deck on Sunday. And who would think this would be match of the round? Who imagined Adelaide would become the team they are? Their balance of youth and experience. The class of Rankine and Rachele. Tex Walker in excellent form. A brutal game style that smashes up other teams. The speed of their ball movement. They're humming, there's no doubt about it. The demolition they did on Carlton was heart warming.

But now we face them. What's their strength? Their brutal pressure, their attack on the ball, and then their extreme ball movement. That's a lot of things to counter.

The Might Magpies

It's hard to praise our team too much. The challenges that we've faced, losing so many talls, and the way we've faced down every challenge. Billy Frampton, take a bow. A competitor. God bless him. Ruscoe -- did everything asked of him. Pendlebury, still like a chess master, 5 moves ahead of the opposition. The Daicos brothers, elite in every way. Yes, every way. They're hard those two. It's not just sublime skill, it's body on the line too. And our small forwards must be some of the best in the comp. Ginnivan is a footballer's footballer. The smarts. Bobby Hill is lightning. He strikes faster than the eye can see. Elliot looks hurt but we all know at his best he's a champion. DeGoey is the modern Dusty. Enough superlatives.

The return of Adams will be important in the clinches. We need to get back to being clearance monsters and Mitchell was a bit down this week. Adams will help. My bet is we match Adelaide's brutality with our own. This will be critical. The inside ball will be hotly contested. It'll be a firestorm in there.

And then there's the outside. If they move the ball fast, we move it faster. We're a tsunami. When we're headed your way, run.

The one query we have then is our backline. Who takes Rankine? Isaac Quaynor methinks. Murphy will return and I'd give him Tex Walker. This allows Darcy Moore to intercept. But we're missing Howe, that's for sure. Fingers crossed he's back before the end of the year. Come on Howey!

I have faith in the forward line, but I do feel for Mihocek. I mean, how much longer can the guy still play the bulldozer role? He must be made of granite, but he too looks a bit sore and was quiet on Anzac day. That's why Kruger has to stay in the team. He didn't do much on Anzac day. But he's a competitor too. Crashed packs, ran like a madman, fumbled the ball regularly and with unusual ferocity. No one fumbles the ball with the same intensity as Kruger. We need that type of fumbling, that's for sure.

Here are the likely changes:

In: Adams, Murphy
Out: Markov (he's been good but sorry Oleg), Ruscoe (that's equally harsh but it's either him or Murphy).

The Washup

Pies by 5 points in a brutal affair!
Adelaide are over rated, only concern for us is the 5 day break and travel.

tbh, Markov did have a good last quarter, but geez, his first half... this was my reaction at the time

He reminds me of Mayne in such a way. Gives 100% but geez, heart in mouth stuff sometimes with ball in hand. You never know what's gonna happen lol

And one of Fly's biggest motto's is to not dwell on mistakes. Hence why it's not the end of the world when they do. They brush it off, have a giggle even and move on.

And one of Fly's biggest motto's is to not dwell on mistakes. Hence why it's not the end of the world when they do. They brush it off, have a giggle even and move on.
They may. But he needs to stick to what he does well. Run. Ball use is never been his strong suit for the last 8 years.

He's teaching them to move on from mistakes because dwelling on them makes you more likely to continue to make mistakes. But the reality is if you make too many mistakes, you're not getting selected.

He's teaching them to move on from mistakes because dwelling on them makes you more likely to continue to make mistakes. But the reality is if you make too many mistakes, you're not getting selected.
He is making football enjoyable like when they were kids.
Taking the stress levels down a notch.

It's so much more exciting and enjoyable to watch than the 'perfect football style' from some coaches. I love watching players who make a mistake, just keep at it and never give up. But hey, that's just me. Others aren't happy & don't enjoy it unless it's perfection 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kruger was clearly under done and needs to regain competence in the VFL. Not necessarily his fault but hey, circumstances.
Was not keen of Ruscoe's first half -cost us two goals but then was better in second half. Go again.
Markov is a trier with dubious disposal skills.

Would like to give Kelly another run, perhaps with WHE as the sub.

We have Adams and Murphy to come in and hopefully Cox.

Out: Kruger, Markov, ? if Cox is available
In: Adams, Murphy, Cox?
Cox is not great.

I’m not sure about WHE because he covered the ground extremely well on Tuesday until he finished it on the bench and was that mark in the goal square being paid from having a decent game. Markov is because he’s just awful. His disposal on Tuesday was rank and in a match where we couldn’t move the ball you’re effectively two men down (Kreuger was equally poor).
Black And White Bambi GIF

Agree, performance anxiety reduces performance, so he's stripping it away so they play without fear, but he can only strip it so far - if you don't perform well enough, you get dropped and then later on delisted.

Agree, performance anxiety reduces performance, so he's stripping it away so they play without fear, but he can only strip it so far - if you don't perform well enough, you get dropped and then later on delisted.
Never seen anything like this in my life watching the sport.
Maynard fluffs and gifts a goal.
Laughing with Markov and a couple of others.
McRae and trainers doing the same on the sidelines.
Refreshing to watch

Never seen anything like this in my life watching the sport.
Maynard fluffs and gifts a goal.
Laughing with Markov and a couple of others.
McRae and trainers doing the same on the sidelines.
Refreshing to watch
The research is that you need to give 3 positives for every negative and don't dwell on the negative if you want to maximise performance and praise effort and not achievement. Fly knows what he is doing and is acting out what the research tells him.

Adelaide are over rated, only concern for us is the 5 day break and travel.
Agree, travel is nothing. Like a 30 minute bus ride. Boys enjoy being together and Adelaide is almost like a home ground to them.
They will have it easier on the training track then is normal.
Fly said they have factored in the 5 day break.

The research is that you need to give 3 positives for every negative and don't dwell on the negative if you want to maximise performance and praise effort and not achievement. Fly knows what he is doing and is acting out what the research tells him.
Almost like a parent not putting pressure on a child.
Bigger chance of a healthy and happy kid with a successful future.

Our players would run through brick walls for Fly.
Best coach in living memory for me.

Almost like a parent not putting pressure on a child.
Bigger chance of a healthy and happy kid with a successful future.

Our players would run through brick walls for Fly.
Best coach in living memory for me.
It's really interesting for me. Flyisms have been being preached in the education industry for well over a decade now, with a heap of research to support it - bloody slow take-up though and education might get to where Fly is in about 20 years, because habits are bloody hard to break.

The rest of the footy industry will catch on soon though, as it will reap rewards - got to cash in during this window of advantage. Brilliant selection as coach - I suspect we tried to go here sooner, but Bucks is such a perfectionist that he couldn't do it. Love that Fly makes a point of saying he doesn't like the idea of perfection.

Agree, travel is nothing. Like a 30 minute bus ride. Boys enjoy being together and Adelaide is almost like a home ground to them.
They will have it easier on the training track then is normal.
Fly said they have factored in the 5 day break.
Of course they have factored it in. Plane travel is not nothing.

1.5 in the air, another 1.5 commuting to the airport and stufffing around before the plane takes off.

There are physiological impacts of flying, I don’t know if this scientifically proven but I know it from my own experience.

Professional sport is a game of margins, 5 day break and travel will negatively impact our performance.

It's really interesting for me. Flyisms have been being preached in the education industry for well over a decade now, with a heap of research to support it - bloody slow take-up though and education might get to where Fly is in about 20 years, because habits are bloody hard to break.

The rest of the footy industry will catch on soon though, as it will reap rewards - got to cash in during this window of advantage. Brilliant selection as coach - I suspect we tried to go here sooner, but Bucks is such a perfectionist that he couldn't do it. Love that Fly makes a point of saying he doesn't like the idea of perfection.
Great post mate.
I loved Nathan Buckley, but only recently I am seeing the pressure he was putting on the players. Fly opened my eyes to another world of coaching I never thought possible.
Now I'm seeing blokes coaching other teams that I would not be happy playing for.
Which is making us a destination club that players want a part of.

Great post mate.
I loved Nathan Buckley, but only recently I am seeing the pressure he was putting on the players. Fly opened my eyes to another world of coaching I never thought possible.
Now I'm seeing blokes coaching other teams that I would not be happy playing for.
Which is making us a destination club that players want a part of.
The basketball metrics have changed recently, but there was a period in time where the most important metric for victory in a game was free throw percentages. Once this was known, some coaches seriously amplified pressure on free throws and led their teams to a heap of losses as their free throw percentages went down. Bucks would have been one of those coaches if basketball was his sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back