VFL Round 7 - Collingwood vs Williamstown at Olympic Park Oval (Pies WON, replay OP #PrayForFrankston)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he had s team high 9 or 10 clearances last week, might be close to that again this week.

Yeah was very good, does a lot of work that probably goes unrecognised. His contested game is elite. Worked hard in defense-6 rebound 50s, 7 tackles, but also starting to hit the scoreboard. Second or third week he's led our possession count, a lot to get excited about him.

There's always been knocks on his kicking. Is he improving in this area?

There's always been knocks on his kicking. Is he improving in this area?
If you ask Dave, he'd say no, however imo yes. Got a good mate at Calder that knows someone at the club. Apparently the kid works pretty hard on all areas. He told me he does extra sessions in running, weights and kicking......I do like hearing that.

Goldsack had one of the best 6 possessions games you'll ever see.

Not kidding either, we lose that game without him.
I've noticed Marshy has a low possession count too but his performance is being praised.

Can you give us a quick run down on his game?

I've noticed Marshy has a low possession count too but his performance is being praised.

Pretty similar to Goldsack, small backs and mids. benefited from Marsh's and Goldsacks competitiveness and ability to kill contests on the weekend. Rarely got beaten from memory, Im guessing they're just waiting for him to use it a little bit better by foot before he gets his chance again.

Yeah pretty much what pieanitis said.

Marsh was asked to play a more defensive role (more one on one) than normal against Willy and thus his disposals were down, but he probably made more spoils in this game than I've seen him make in any.

He did form a good partnership with Goldy, especially late in the game when they came at us.

He's a strange one Marsh, now he's fit and has a few games in a row under his belt you'd love to see him in the seniors but Jeremy Howe, Toovey and Oxley have taken those roles at the moment it seems. We can't rely on Scharenberg to come through (harsh but true) so I see Marsh as Toovey's direct replacement maybe as early as next season in full.

No obvious person for Cloke to replace unless Cox or Moore get injured. White can play upfield on the wing or half back which Cloke can't do and I don't think Cloke will be rucking if he gets back into the senior side, as that didn't work before he got dropped. Crocker is also a different type of player to Cloke, as he (Crocker) complements the talls.
Problem for Cloke is he's no good running back towards goal where 50% of goals are kicked these days. His style is out of date. You need to talls with pace or they're pretty useless.

Jarrod witts is too good for VFL Surley
He certainly seems to be, but there really isn't an opening in the seniors for him at the moment. Unless Grundy needs a rest Witts will probably have to bide his time.

It's a fantastic position for us to be in. I hope all three of Cox, Grundy and Witts are at the club next year, but if Witts decides to try his luck elsewhere, we'd be able to cash in on him with clubs such as the Bulldogs and Richmond likely to be desperate to get hold of a ruckman.

I'd just like to see Witts taking a fair few more marks than what he's been getting, otherwise he seems to be coming along very nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That be Stupid. What would Dropping Moore do?

Other than allow Cloke to play... annoy you is the only thing that comes to mind... not sure if that's a factor at selection so you should be right this week.

and Our Forward Line is Working the best it has all season - Why Change?

Our midfield is working the best it has all season... coincidence, I think not.

Golds 1 kick for the match

Is he VFL standard?

Goldsack had less disposals yet there has been some discussion that he was among our best.

Great to see the kids starting to have a regular consistent impact at VFL level, guys like Goodyear, Phillips and Sier. Strange that a few like Marsh, Williams and Witts aren't considered kids anymore. All bodes really well for the future. We've already seen Smith, Cox and Crocker promoted and holding their own. Should be a steady stream of players returning from injury over the next few weeks so VFL should continue to improve.

Goldsack had one of the best 6 possessions games you'll ever see.

Not kidding either, we lose that game without him.
I'll take your word for it. Was wondering how the hell he managed to get a best on ground with 6 disposals...

Yeah was very good, does a lot of work that probably goes unrecognised. His contested game is elite. Worked hard in defense-6 rebound 50s, 7 tackles, but also starting to hit the scoreboard. Second or third week he's led our possession count, a lot to get excited about him.
I think I mentioned quite a few times in the offseason that Goody would surprise many this year.

Cloke is our best forward. We will be more likely to win when he plays. We need him back ASAP and in form.

Moore's development wont be hurt by some VFL time. Especially for young KPFs I think it can help. Less pressure, can learn to dominate and control a game at a lower level. Valuable lessons for his future.
Here's my view based on goalkicking output alone at the moment:

Moore is likely to kick 5 goals in a VFL game but 1-2 in an AFL game.

Cloke is likely to kick 1-3 goals in a VFL game but 2-3 goals in an AFL game.

Cloke to play roaming high-half-forward this week to stretch the undermanned and undersized Bulldogs defence. Mason Cox to play deep to further stretch the undermanned and undersized Bulldogs defence. IMHO.

And our Forwards Kick Straight and not Confident Cloke can do that every week

I must be watching different games than you Dave, I was sure I watched Moore miss a relatively easy shot Saturday, I though Varcoe ran into an open goal and sprayed it, week before I thought DeGoey and Treloar sprayed a few between them.

I must be watching different games than you Dave, I was sure I watched Moore miss a relatively easy shot Saturday, I though Varcoe ran into an open goal and sprayed it, week before I thought DeGoey and Treloar sprayed a few between them.
Varcoe missed 2 relatively easy goals this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back