AFLW Round 7 Discussion - 2021 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

It was another demonstration that, even if evaluating the progress of the league purely from a scoring perspective is a good idea (which it isn't), simply going off the aggregate scores is still a very limited way of doing that.

Not only was it the second time a team came back to win from 20+ points down this year (never happened once pre-2021), it was the first time a team has ever successfully run over an opponent when needing three goals in the last ~5 minutes of a match.

Would yesterday’s result be the first time in AFL or AFLW history a team has won 3 Successive games on the road
No, North Melbourne did it in rounds 1-3 of 2019, their first 3 games in the competition.

Looking at the fixture 2 home games for North not really 3 away games like the Lions
Yes, I know how it works...

When we want to make Collingwood look bad, games in Tas do count as travel.

When we want to make Brisbane look good, games in Tas don't count as travel.

Also, I just realised you included AFL in your question as well, so that's quite a short-term memory block you've got going on.

Looking at the fixture 2 home games for North not really 3 away games like the Lions
Yesterday's game was a "home" game for Brisbane, so they haven't really achieved it either. But they did win three games on the road (interstate travel) which is what North Melbourne also achieved in 2019.

Winning three games classified as "away" game has been done a number of times, North Melbourne's AFL team has done four times since 1995, they have even lost three consecutive away games twice.

And not capitalising on a territorially dominant quarter like that would be the main cause for an upset.

Cats straight into attack for Q2, squandering their first three decent chances of a goal too.

A tantalising ten minutes from Imahra Cameron. One sees what is probably degrees of improvement in fitness from Darcy Vescio which has got her back on top as a certified premier forward in the league, and wonders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I didn't ask myself what would've constituted a shocking loss for Geelong in their current circumstances, but that has to be it. 18 shots last week against Carlton down to 6 against the Eagles, nightmare of a performance.
Might seem like an opportunistic point to make after yesterday's games, especially considering injuries among other factors that clubs can't control, but:

It's glaring how bottom-of-the-ladder Geelong and Gold Coast are two of the three teams that have never signed a Gaelic player. The other team is Richmond, and they brought in Tessa Lavey from basketball this year for fairly immediate reward.

Has to be an area of exploration for them in the coming months, I don't think there's a surer way of digging up a skillful player in their physical prime. Any team could use more of that, but none more than those two. Whether the results of bringing somebody over from Ireland warrants the investment, you'd have to follow the league quite inattentively to still be wondering.

(may have just jinxed the Eagles ahead of their game against Cats, given they have 3 Irish players--even so, they've still been among West Coast's best this year)
No backfire here, the Irish trio murdered them today. Plenty of footage to choose from for the highlights show on teejee carhaaar. Chances of knocking off Richmond next week might ride on how Grace Kelly pulls up.

I just have to say anyone who watched the Freo Carlton game today and didn't like or appreciate it will probably never like womens footy.
It was another demonstration that, even if evaluating the progress of the league purely from a scoring perspective is a good idea (which it isn't), simply going off the aggregate scores is still a very limited way of doing that.

Not only was it the second time a team came back to win from 20+ points down this year (never happened once pre-2021), it was the first time a team has ever successfully run over an opponent when needing three goals in the last ~5 minutes of a match.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, got it on in the background while I work (and with a 22-1 score at the end of the first, I likely would put something else on if I didn't know better).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back