Round 7 Discussion (dedicated to Andrew Birch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Big winners at the moment are the players who have ROB at R2. Whether they traded out Gawn or one of the others to do it, it's looking like a winning move. Frustrating having a premo score sitting on the bench.

Not sure what that has to do with my post? I didn't suggest trading Gawn. I said if I didn't have Gawndy I would have traded to get ROB on the field. It's simple maths. He's scoring close to a premo and is on the bench. If Bines was on the Fwd bench, if I had Goldstein, I could trade him out, bring in a premo on another line (Fyfe for example) and put ROB on the field. It's about maximising points as much as cash generation.

Actually, you did say Gawn > ROB is looking like a winning move.

Yes, but did everyone use their Gawn > ROB downgrade to upgrade to Fyfe? Because if they all did, it would still be evens as Gawn has outscored Fyfe by 12ppg in that time and also being a trade down. But that wasn't the only option and considering who the must have point chasing upgrades were that week (Whitfield/Marshall) and which mid-pricers (BSmith/ZWilliams) or still low b/e rookies would have been used to facilitate those upgrades whilst leaving enough $$ to upgrade a fwd rookie to Marshall would have been a huge loss not only points wise but team/player value wise.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Not sure what that has to do with my post? I didn't suggest trading Gawn. I said if I didn't have Gawndy I would have traded to get ROB on the field. It's simple maths. He's scoring close to a premo and is on the bench. If Bines was on the Fwd bench, if I had Goldstein, I could trade him out, bring in a premo on another line (Fyfe for example) and put ROB on the field. It's about maximising points as much as cash generation.
Excellent discussion guys Andrew Birch .....if I had the want, I'd do a spreadsheet comparison of the different scenarios over the last 3 weeks (hint) ......but Andrew hit the nail, it depends very much on who you traded out & traded in

If you used ROB on-field to bring in Whitfield / Heeney / Seagull ....there's a short term analysis & longterm analysis to be viewed ....obviously the short term maynot have provided the advantage sought

However, as ROB keeps rising in price, the $$ gap required to get Gawn back in, won't be as great as anticipated

I still take the view ....ROB on R3, is great for my byes, & covers (saves trade) if there's an injury .......plus using ROB's $$$ during the bye, IMO will give me a greater advantage

Jul 14, 2010
Central Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Actually, you did say Gawn > ROB is looking like a winning move.

Yes, but did everyone use their Gawn > ROB downgrade to upgrade to Fyfe? Because if they all did, it would still be evens as Gawn has outscored Fyfe by 12ppg in that time and also being a trade down. But that wasn't the only option and considering who the must have point chasing upgrades were that week (Whitfield/Marshall) and which mid-pricers (BSmith/ZWilliams) or still low b/e rookies would have been used to facilitate those upgrades whilst leaving enough $$ to upgrade a fwd rookie to Marshall would have been a huge loss not only points wise but team/player value wise.

I said it looks like a winning move. I didn't say I suggested it. I should be clearer. for anyone that has a fwd/ ruck dpp donut, it only requires one trade. ROB is the 2nd highest averaging rookie this year. If I had the chance to trade in a Fyfe for a Goldstein, for example, it gets a 94 averaging rookie on the field, and a 60 averaging rookie off the field, while the premos are close to like for like.

Gawn has outscored Fyfe by 12ppg, but ROB has outscored most other rookies by at least 25ppg.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I said it looks like a winning move. I didn't say I suggested it. I should be clearer. for anyone that has a fwd/ ruck dpp donut, it only requires one trade. ROB is the 2nd highest averaging rookie this year. If I had the chance to trade in a Fyfe for a Goldstein, for example, it gets a 94 averaging rookie on the field, and a 60 averaging rookie off the field, while the premos are close to like for like.

Gawn has outscored Fyfe by 12ppg, but ROB has outscored most other rookies by at least 25ppg.
The interesting aspect is, there's only 13% ROB ownership .....does that surprise everyone .....I'm amazed more didn't jump on, given his first 2 scores were 85 & 84 .....it was probably due to his supposed shaky JS

But of that 13% ownership, how many went R3 versus R2 ?? .....I'd suggest, because of the JS , most went R3

Jul 14, 2010
Central Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Excellent discussion guys Andrew Birch .....if I had the want, I'd do a spreadsheet comparison of the different scenarios over the last 3 weeks (hint) ......but Andrew hit the nail, it depends very much on who you traded out & traded in

If you used ROB on-field to bring in Whitfield / Heeney / Seagull ....there's a short term analysis & longterm analysis to be viewed ....obviously the short term maynot have provided the advantage sought

However, as ROB keeps rising in price, the $$ gap required to get Gawn back in, won't be as great as anticipated

I still take the view ....ROB on R3, is great for my byes, & covers (saves trade) if there's an injury .......plus using ROB's $$$ during the bye, IMO will give me a greater advantage
Great for byes yes, but what do you do after round 14? Trade him out for a premo and put Bines back at R3, but we are almost obliged to trade him to a FWD/ Ruck DPP otherwise we are losing coverage if either of Gawndy get injured. None of them are setting the world on fire this year.

Jul 14, 2010
Central Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The interesting aspect is, there's only 13% ROB ownership .....does that surprise everyone .....I'm amazed more didn't jump on, given his first 2 scores were 85 & 84 .....it was probably due to his supposed shaky JS

But of that 13% ownership, how many went R3 versus R2 ?? .....I'd suggest, because of the JS , most went R3
I'm surprised by the low ownership too. It was known before his 3rd game that Sauce was out for 6 weeks. Seemed a no brainer for me.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Great for byes yes, but what do you do after round 14? Trade him out for a premo and put Bines back at R3, but we are almost obliged to trade him to a FWD/ Ruck DPP otherwise we are losing coverage if either of Gawndy get injured. None of them are setting the world on fire this year.
Trade ROB out after he covers for Gawn/Grundy's R13 bye .....thinking hard of bringing a cheap Westhoff this week to give that injury coverage (loop) for any injuries

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I'm surprised by the low ownership too. It was known before his 3rd game that Sauce was out for 6 weeks. Seemed a no brainer for me.
How many Rookies have scored 84 & 85 in the first 2 games & not had every coach pounce on them ......his JS was better than Hately, who has scored similarly ??

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

I'm more inclined to sideways ROB > Hoff when their prices merge (if Hoff can keeps scoring 90+) as either one can cover Gawndy in Rd13 but can also cover a forward in Rd14 as well as being a F6 or F7 loophole option if that trade was to occur in 2-3 weeks time.

Jul 14, 2010
Central Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Trade ROB out after he covers for Gawn/Grundy's R13 bye .....thinking hard of bringing a cheap Westhoff this week to give that injury coverage (loop) for any injuries
I'm more inclined to sideways ROB > Hoff when their prices merge (if Hoff can keeps scoring 90+) as either one can cover Gawndy in Rd13 but can also cover a forward in Rd14 as well as being a F6 or F7 loophole option if that trade was to occur in 2-3 weeks time.
Yeah Hoff is really the only viable option. I'd feel sick trading out ROB after round 13 and not have ruck coverage.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks

I think it's Gawndy being probably 35-40% of teams - a lot of those would have baulked at the double trade for rookie on a bench. Even of those who were running Bines at R3 not all would have made the trade - a lot might not wanted to risk no forward cover or Balta as forward cover.

Plus bubble was R5 so a lot were probably trying to fix a rookie/midpricer * up.

Glad I went him though, pray he plays until his bye.

Sounds good! Gives us time to see if Hoff's score has improved. Ideally Hoff comes in this week with his low BE and decent 3 game average (89), but with the potential double downgrade looking so good this week, just can't do it.

Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Timberwolves
Is anyone else doing a double upgrade this week or is it just me?

Double upgrade? How much money do you have in your Warchest?

Looking at next week. Don't see any rookies that will be on the bubble besides Marsh/Stocker and they both look underwhelming.

Could be double down and double up play next week.

Jul 14, 2010
Central Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Is anyone else doing a double upgrade this week or is it just me?
Will depend on rookie selections this week for me. If Answerth and Hately are named i'll take both. If neither are named it will be a double up for me (Libba and Brouch for Fyfe and Telly). If one of them are named then I've just gotta work out which one out of Fyfe and Telly I need to get first.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Will depend on rookie selections this week for me. If Answerth and Hately are named i'll take both. If neither are named it will be a double up for me (Libba and Brouch for Fyfe and Telly). If one of them are named then I've just gotta work out which one out of Fyfe and Telly I need to get first.

Brouch > Telly is sideways really.

Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Timberwolves
You kents taught me all you know, I've never got advice any other board than this one from you lads.
So I'd say my current rank is just as much yours as mine brother.
235px-Simpson_and_Delilah.png

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
You kents taught me all you know, I've never got advice any other board than this one from you lads.
So I'd say my current rank is just as much yours as mine brother.

I can just see it now, it's Rd23 and Hairy Lasoo is Ranked #5 overall without any trades or many POD's between him and the other top10 teams when halfway through the round he switches his captain and lets it all ride by putting the big C on Hurn who scores a round high 189x2 and 50k in the pussah for Hai_Newman :eek:

Jul 14, 2010
Central Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Brouch > Telly is sideways really.
Yeah probably but mid rooks are scoring better than forward rooks. At least it gets another forward rook off the field. Brouch is frustrating the crap out of me. I'm gonna take a big step back this week if both the rooks are named. I'll be going Libba and Brouch to the two rooks, giving me a massive warchest for upgrades in coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back