Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay
Oh checkers. How did he kick so badly in the end there? We had our chances.

I’m even more disappointed with the draw now after watching it again. Unlike Fly, I’m living in the space of the what ifs. How can you not?
I called it when he did the snap on his left, he’s garbage at that kick as a general rule, but the drop punt? Horrid kick that could have been the difference if it had gone through for a minor score even.

I called it when he did the snap on his left, he’s garbage at that kick as a general rule, but the drop punt? Horrid kick that could have been the difference if it had gone through for a minor score even.
Other side and I’d have backed him in on that first one. He was in the wrong side for a right footer.
That drop punt was atrocious. No excuse for that. Bad connection with the ball.

Didn't we draw? 😃

As bad as saying we lost when we didn’t?

Haha I don’t know if that says more about how I felt about the result or the general vibe I was responding to. You could say we left two points on the table.

But in reality I just don’t think you can win games with that awful of a stoppage performance so I kinda felt relieved at the end (trying not to replay the Elliott dropped mark and checkers double OOB).

Begrudgingly I have to say the Bombers did well and I may have underestimated them a bit as they withstood the pressure in the hottest moments and would have been unlucky to end up with nil points.

I’ll be honest and say I have only quickly read through the thread but I saw some impossibly bad takes in it.

Blaming McReery and Schultz when our midfield was applying so little pressure whilse these two were? Blaming Moore or any of the defenders when the ball was coming in relentlessly due to extremely poor stoppage work?

This loss is due to one thing and one thing only: our appalling clearance and onball performance.

Firstly it gave them a 4 goal head start which is not forgivable in a close game. And unlike the Port game where they were kicking extremely difficult shot out of their arses, the first four bombers goals were mostly easy mark/easy shots. In that period we got our hands on the ball 4 times. Yep, 4 disposals while the other team has four goals. It’s gotta be some sort of record.

Then for the rest of the game we were useless at stoppages and even worse than that at centre bounces. Essendon kicked 43 points from stoppage, half their score! And this isn’t even in a game with a lot of stoppages where we did the same because in return our stoppage work netted us… 3 points. Yep another record broken here I reckon.

So all in all I don’t have the breakdown but sure that our scoring came from kick ins and rebound from defence as well as forward half turnovers. Meaning the backline and forward line did more than their job.

Why were we so shite in the middle? I’d say a combination of short turnaround impacting Pendles Sidey and Mitchell’s ability to be physical and just about the worse 23 touches game from Jordy. If Bobby was Santa distributing gifts last week, Jordy was the Grinch dishing out poisonous handballs to half his teammates.

We relied solely on Nick who needs protection and unfortunately have little versatility to bring anyone on the inside to change things up (Crisp tried and failed and no one else is good enough). I think one of our rotation mids needs to be better on the inside so whoever that is needs to lift in the VFL (Sullivan, Macrae).
Just like our Issues in 2022

How are we defining good? They’re about as good as St Kilda or the Dogs.
True, but they always seem to play above themselves on Anzac Day. Fully expect them to be hot garbage by the end of the year just like they always are.

I assumed it was all your fault with the omen, that you must have worn some merch in Q1...
(if you claim the wins you need to own the losses or draws!)

I was thinking about this just before.

Wore no merch

But we didn’t lose! So the omen still holds as far as I’m concerned.

Not Listening Friends Tv GIF

I was thinking about this just before.

Wore no merch

But we didn’t lose! So the omen still holds as far as I’m concerned.

Not Listening Friends Tv GIF
Ill be fair, I take responsibility. My resident maggie, he popped around literally when the game started, tapping on the window. His usual meal, beef strips had run out, the game was about to start, all I had that was semi suitable was dried plain biscuits - he wasn't happy - a draw resulted. But, luckily for the biscuits, we would have lost.

Ill get him a sirloin streak for the blues game - we'll be right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In some way, yes. And we got Titch to try and fix it and again brilliant short term move but doesn’t even solve the medium term issues with our midfield mix. Pray for LDU.

True but got a Flag in the Short Term

10 secs into 3Q, we win the ball from CS (maybe only one for the afternoon) and kick into f50.

McKay has his arms wrapt around Coxy & not looking at the ball. Coxy throws him to floor ..PLAY ON ..Ess intercept mark.

After all the soft holding /interference infringements the ESS forwards received during the day, Coxy gets nothing.

Has received nothing his whole career ..really frustrating.

It’s really frustrating to watch Cox get ragdolled and not get Curnow kicks. It happens so often now. He is not pushed out of a marking contest like he used to be. He gets his arms and body pulled apart most marking opportunities. No one points it out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We'll do what we did against Port and come out and belt the Blues in the middle. It's actually been a weakness of theirs this season.
It's been a major weakness for us too though, plus Port are struggling this year. I think we will struggle big time against the Blues.

Last edited:
Don't agree. If you watch the last quarter, Sidey was involved in several ball movement chains, both in defence and in offence. I think Titch was exhausted, and it was necesary to give him time off.
That is our Achilles heel atm. We only have Titch going in and under to get the brutal ground ball. He needs assistance, and and doesnt have it right now.
cough
cough
adams
cough, cough
…bloody covid…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back