VFL Game Day Round 7: Essendon vs Box Hille, Windy Hill, Sunday 08/05/22 @ 2:10 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks 1000-1 as far as being here next year.
Agreed. It's a real shame because he was such a good player for us over such a long time too. Hope he gets a farewell game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to be serious next year and add another 3 quality VFL players to help Atley steer the ship. Have said it before but we have a lot of honest players who try their best but they are mainly C grade VFL players. The type of players that would be in the 16 to 26 range at a good stand alone club.

We need to be serious next year and add another 3 quality VFL players to help Atley steer the ship. Have said it before but we have a lot of honest players who try their best but they are mainly C grade VFL players. The type of players that would be in the 16 to 26 range at a good stand alone club.
Outside of AFL listed player injuries is there a reason the VFL team is this bad? Surely it's not ideal for our player development?

Outside of AFL listed player injuries is there a reason the VFL team is this bad? Surely it's not ideal for our player development?
We sign below average VFL players. Need to be looking at former AFL players to start.

I can't believe how many 'small' players we have on our VFL list that compliment our already 'small' AFL listed players (Hird x 2, Tippa, Lord, Tex).

Comforti, Weightman, Banister,

That is 8 undersized sized players, well below what a VFL side should have.

Absolutely agree that we need more VFL quality in our program. Start with midfield depth. Atley not even that good unless it is just my eyes deceiving me playing so undermanned.

Reason is we have two decent VFL players , a lot of developing AFL KP players and a bunch of hard working C grade VFL players who lack the finish and skill level to make a big enough difference when we have a lot of players out. The fact that the quality of our midfield falls away and the lack of good small forwards hurts as well. 100% it is not ideal. They have not put enough work into making sure the VFL list is half decent.

I can't believe how many 'small' players we have on our VFL list that compliment our already 'small' AFL listed players (Hird x 2, Tippa, Lord, Tex).

Absolutely agree that we need more VFL quality in our program. Start with midfield depth. Atley not even that good unless it is just my eyes deceiving me playing so undermanned.
Atley is a good VFL player but there is only really him and Conforti .

Conforti and Weightman are quality at least. Conforti basically has to play inside even though by rights he's an outside mid

Atley is a good VFL player but there is only really him and Conforti .
Yep, just looking at our 2021 list and it's disappointing we didn't get Josh Smithson, Bruno Laguda, James Harold, Matt Day back for this year. Im still annoyed we didn't get Nino Lazzaro on to even train, thought he had AFL traits.

We sign below average VFL players. Need to be looking at former AFL players to start.
I have not taken a close look this year but I do know a few aligned and stand alone sides signed players in the VFL and also had them doing some AFL development work to supplement their earning. The limited cap is making it hard but we seem to have left the VFL on the back burner since the end of 2020.

Yep, just looking at our 2021 list and it's disappointing we didn't get Josh Smithson, Bruno Laguda, James Harold, Matt Day back for this year. Im still annoyed we didn't get Nino Lazzaro on to even train, thought he had AFL traits.
Harrold is still around, just injured. Smithson moved back to SA in fairness to him
I have not taken a close look this year but I do know a few aligned and stand alone sides signed players in the VFL and also had them doing some AFL development work to supplement their earning. The limited cap is making it hard but we seem to have left the VFL on the back burner since the end of 2020.
We absolutely have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back