Preview Round 7: Essendon vs Western Bulldogs, Carrara, Friday 17/07/20, 7:50 PM

Team with more points?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Woosha on Marty:

"He got a pretty heavy knock to his hamstring last week. He's got through training, but there's a bigger risk if he plays through that injured hamstring, there is a chance he could get a tear in it," he said.

"We've got a really healthy list and we have Mason Redman available, so we think that's the best scenario to go with in the environment we're currently in."

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
From Woosha on Marty:

"He got a pretty heavy knock to his hamstring last week. He's got through training, but there's a bigger risk if he plays through that injured hamstring, there is a chance he could get a tear in it," he said.

"We've got a really healthy list and we have Mason Redman available, so we think that's the best scenario to go with in the environment we're currently in."
Why is he named as an emergency then? Wouldn't expect him to even play the scratch match based on what Woosha said, let alone tomorrow night.

Why is he named as an emergency then? Wouldn't expect him to even play the scratch match based on what Woosha said, let alone tomorrow night.
I think they think he can do it on managed time in the seniors if we're desperate, and it allows the other emergencies to retain touch in the scratchie.

If Francis had come in for Gleeson I would be keen to have Hooker forward, but given it's Redman, if Bont moved forward I'd be nervous if Ridley were on him, I'm not sure who would be our main intercept player. Wouldn't be fussed if Cordy played forward. The guy's a battler.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
It will be interesting to see who plays the scratch match tomorrow, and who is held over. How many of the emergencies usually play, 2?

It will be interesting to see who plays the scratch match tomorrow, and who is held over. How many of the emergencies usually play, 2?
We played 2 against Carlton since we knew Cutler was out on the Friday, 3 in the ones since

Really wrapt Phillips held his spot. Got a feeling we won’t see T Bell again unless there is injury and Draper isn’t ready (no knock, been an unreal and loyal servant of the club).

How we seem to be structuring up

7 Defenders: Ridley, Hurley, Hooker, Saad, Redman, McKenna, Fantasia
5 Inside Mids: Hibberd, Merrett, Parish, McGrath, Smith
3 Outside Mids: Langford, Ham, Snelling
1 Ruck: Phillips
6 Forwards: Laverde, Zaharakis, Townsend, McKernan, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Cahill

As for them:

6-9 Defenders: Keath, Williams, Wood, JJ, Crozier, Daniel, Cordy/Young/Sucking?
5 Inside Mids: Wallis, Bont, Libba, Macrae, Smith
3 Outside Mids: Hunter, Richards, Lipinski
1 Ruck: English
4-7 Forwards: Bruce, Dale, Vandermeer, Weightman, Cordy/Young/Suckling?

Like it's weirdly very unbalanced towards having defenders. Not really sure what Bevo's doing.

In any case, we need to try to target Langford as much as possible between the arcs. The Dogs wingers are all giving away at least 2 inches to him so hopefully we can exploit that height difference

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
This game is a big one in the story of 2020. With so many teams clogging the middle of the table, after tonight we will either be a clear top 4 team, or sliding back to a very big pack. Yes, we have the game in hand but it would be nice to be playing Melbourne to lock in a top 2 spot rather than just stay in touch.

For all our trouble with the dogs over recent years, they’re 12th and we need to put them away.

Dogs fans I know really confident before this game. Just seen they have been backed into favouritism ($) too.

I guess they deserve to be considering their recent form against us... but their most recent performance & such a short break could make it a bit more interesting than they want to believe.

For all the talk about the players we are missing... they are missing a fair chunk of quality as well.

lol

Let’s be clear

they are missing 2 of their best 22

we are missing....a lot more

This is why they are favorites. No other reason.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Well... and the 21 straight goals they kicked against us last time we met. (There has been a lot of personnel change for both teams, but it will still be front of mind)
And what a horrifying football lesson in learnings it was.

If the boys can get up tonight you would think it would be very satisfying for those who played the Dogs last year.

Well... and the 21 straight goals they kicked against us last time we met. (There has been a lot of personnel change for both teams, but it will still be front of mind)
I'd forgotten that, the trauma must have wiped it from my memory completely.

I don't read too much into performances vs specific teams from previous years - there are huge changes to both teams between games.

The fact is we have too many injuries to key players and now have Shiel out - we can only limp on with this for so long doing this.

Trust me - i'm hope i'm wrong but the pessimistic person i'm becoming doesn't see us beating a team like the dogs who have their almost full best 22 available. hopefully the team that got belted by Carlton shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back