Preview Round 7 - Fremantle v Essendon (7th May 2017 - 2:40PM AWST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baklazan

Draftee
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Round 7 - Essendon Home
Subiaco Oval May 7 2:40PM AWST

Assorted words from the previewer

Essendon have had a difficult last few years, in trying to add some pep to their step, their club imploded to a state where opposition fans have been making constant jabs at their club and last year were required to have top-up players injected into their side. That is all behind them now,(and for us in this thread) Essendon of 2017 have had a solid start to the season and John Worsfold might be sniffing a finals berth for the club for the first time since 2014.

Essendon (3-3) come into this match after a tough loss to Melbourne, after running out of legs in the second half following a 5-day turnaround after ANZAC Day. The game whilst a little scrappy was tight throughout the first half, with Essendon's poor kicking keeping Melbourne in it, before a second half burst from the Dees killed the game off. With a number of the senior players being rested after such a short turn-around a fit and firing Essendon will be coming over the large expanse of sand between the two clubs.

The wonderfully named small Orazio Fantasia and pr0n-'stached tall Joe Daniher have been a solid one-two punch in their forward line, contributing on average 5 goals a game between them and 3.5 behinds (mostly thanks to Daniher having the set shot skills of Travis Cloke wearing a blindfold). Short and tall combinations have caused Fremantle issues in the past and given Freo's current defensive frailties, these two should be on the top of Ross the Bosses defensive schema for this coming week. Add in their third forward – Cale Hooker and that's over half (40 of 78) of Essendon's goals this season. If Fremantle are able to shut these three down, we could see the good guys come away with the win.

The Bomber's forward line has at times been receiving some fantastic service from their midfield, including pointing extraordinaire Brendon Goddard, the best young player in the comp* (according to some Essendon fans) Zach Merrett, captain and surfing-Sideshow Bob impersonator Dyson Heppell, former captain and Brownlow winner Jobe Watson, and young-gun Darcy Parish. The question for Mr Worsfold is if the Bombers midfield brigade will be able to extract the ball from the clinches and be free enough to use their skilled feet to pick out their forwards. Essendon's B52s Tom Bellchambers and/or Matthew Leuenberger will be battling our favourite giant ruckman and if played together try to get some advantage around the ground with their 4 legs, compared to Sandiland's 2.

Patrick Ambrose has been a fantastic shutdown defender this year and will attempt to put some darkness on Fremantle's Sunshine. Michael Hurley has rebounded fantastically out of the 50. Given Fremantle's oft ill-advised attempts to kick the ball to the moon whilst entering the forward 50, Hurley must be looking forward to the upcoming feast (of cheese from the moon) he will have on Freo's forward entries.

After a painful Derby loss to the West Coast Eagles, Fremantle (3-3) welcome Essendon for their only trip west for this season. Fremantle continued their trend of starting a little slowly and coming home strongly, winning the second half against the Eagles, the only issue being the large margin hemorrhaged in a slow first half. The youth experiment of Ross Lyon has largely been a success with old war-horses Zac Dawson and Danyle Pearce being unsighted since their omission prior to round 3. The fans have some young kids to get behind and it's made going to a rather ordinary oval in it's final days not as bad as it was before. Will Ross the Boss blood more youngsters after a loss? With Sutcliffe, Collins, Ryan and Taberner impressing for Peel over the weekend, they have put their hand up to be selected if needed.

The one question we all want answered this week is if Garrick Ibbotson after a rather uninspiring defensive effort be given the boot like some of his other oldish aged pensioner colleagues for a younger defender like Sam Collins. Fremantle's midfield struggled against the Eagles and with only 4 players touching the ball more than 20 times (Langdon, Blakely, Neale and B. Hill), there might be some strong words after an insipid looking midfield display, hopefully our man-bun brigade puts this one behind them and gets more of the ball this week. The main focus this week must be on forward 50 entries, with the Dockers essentially playing kick to kick with Jeremy McGovern at times against the Eagles. The main players hoping to take advantage of any improved forward 50 entires will be Cam McCarthy and Shane Kersten, with Michael Walters vacuuming up anything that is spilled by the two taller forwards.

View from the Opposition:

Essendon board stalwart eth-dog has been kind enough to share some of his thoughts before the game.

• Why do you support Essendon?
Always have, always will. They're my father's team and have loved supporting them every week for a long time
  • How would you say the start of the season gone for Essendon?
It's been patchy, which is to be expected. If someone told me we'd be 3-3 I would have taken it to start with.
  • What is the mood of the fans like at the moment?
Happy that we can focus on football without all that other s**t hanging over our heads for the first time in nearly half a decade.
  • Who does Fremantle need to watch out for?
Essendon probably have a few key weapons for them to win. Zach Merrett is an absolute star and will be the main man for Essendon in the midfield, Orazio Fantasia has 16 goals in his 6 games so far and Joe Daniher is finding a lot of the ball but he needs to start kicking more goals.
  • Who from Fremantle do you think will cause Essendon problems?
Michael Walters is the main one, small forwards have been causing us problems for the past couple of years and I think he could be one to win the game for Fremantle.
  • Score Prediction?
I think Essendon edge Fremantle at either end of the field, and if they manage to break even with Fremantle's elite inside midfield it'll be a good day for Essendon. Dons by 32

Weather
According to my good mate, the Bureau of Meteorology, it will be a sunny and blistering hot (for May at least) 28 degrees on Sunday. This will probably bring the talls into the game more, with their clumsy big person hands being more likely to hold a drier ball.

Who does this advantage? Hard to say, if Fremantle can keep it close throughout the first half, their second half legs at home could be too much for Essendon. On the other hand, Essendon's talls have shown they have some capacity to consistently mark the ball (kicking straight is another matter), with Fremantle's Kersten and McCarthy showing form at dropping some rather elementary marks.

Last Time they Met

Fremantle farewelled old-mate Owen with a 79-point victory over Essendon.

June 4 2016 - Subiaco Oval

FREMANTLE 5.1 11.2 18.4 20.6 (126)
ESSENDON 1.3 3.4 4.7 6.11 (47)

GOALS
Fremantle:
Pavlich 3, Walters 3, Mayne 3, Ballantyne 2, Taberner, Barlow, Sheridan, Tucker, Neale, Mundy, Weller, Griffin, D Pearce
Essendon: Daniher 2, Goddard , Fantasia, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Hams

BEST
Fremantle:
Mundy, Barlow, Neale, Walters, Sheridan, Pavlich, Crozier
Essendon: Goddard, Z Merrett, Daniher, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Crowley, Parish

Odds

Fremantle: $1.63
Essendon: $2.28
Line: 7.5 points.

The gambling types have Fremantle as a favourite, with a tight line. Yadda yadda yadda, gamble at your own risk etc.

Prediction
Fremantle bounces back and runs over the top of a fatigued Essendon in the second half. Freo by 10 points.

Great preview.

It's a tough one. Both teams at full strength and we're evenly placed.

I'm concerned that the opposition coaches have stopped our run the last two weeks and we don't seem to have a plan B. We'll also continue to miss Hill, we have a few holes opening up in our team with not much to draw on at Peel. Collins and Tabs should come in for Logue and Ibbo for mine.

Essn by 13. If we lose Fyfe, make it 25.

Last edited:

Great review.
Put an R in front and you have the right word. Its a preview! a review is generally of something that has already happened.
Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself :)

And yes its a great preview. Excellent punning in the opening paragraph.

This should actually be a good match between 2 sides not expected to win much this year but who have both been competitive and played some exciting footy at times.

My greatest fear (other than when Stephen Hill is out of our team or Fyfe being suspended) is Ross using the loss as an excuse to go back to all his favourite players. Keep going forward Freo! Bring in Sam Collins and give Ibbo a rest.

Again... this will be another close game I think. We are a chance because its at home. Not surprisingly, freo go in as slight favourites. I don't care if we lose narrowly, 2017 is a rebuild year and playing the youth.

Put an R in front and you have the right word. Its a preview! a review is generally of something that has already happened.

This should actually be a good match between 2 sides not expected to win much this year but who have both been competitive and played some exciting footy at times.

My greatest fear (other than when Stephen Hill is out of our team or Fyfe being suspended) is Ross using the loss as an excuse to go back to all his favourite players. Keep going forward Freo! Bring in Sam Collins and give Ibbo a rest.

R or P? RReview?

Again... this will be another close game I think. We are a chance because its at home. Not surprisingly, freo go in as slight favourites. I don't care if we lose narrowly, 2017 is a rebuild year and playing the youth.

Interesting, but I think this is a game that we should be very disappointed if we lose. Similar talent on both teams and we are not decimated by injuries. I think most people could see the loss coming last game and could see that Lyon basically played all the kids worthy of a game.

In this game, I expect the senior players to bounce back fiercely and lead the way to a significant win that continues to fuel the belief in our rebuild. Would love to see Fyfe have the sort of game that we know he is capable of, for mine he has almost been to team originated so far.

Fork in the road Freo, time to respond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should win this.

Essendon have not been great so far this year. It's really been Daniher + Fantazia at one end, and Hurley and co at the other end keeping them in it.

Don't you mean put a P in front? Or am I missing something?

Edit: whoops someone else noticed it already :)

Was a sobering loss. I'm not going anywhere near the essondon board. So puffed up was I, I forgot we are a team into rebuild mode and got ahead of myself. I thought we might win. It was just plain foolishness. I'm glad the mind turns to the next game. I thought we were going to kick west coast out of the 8 It was going to be a sweet moment. Maybe the week after next. If we beat essendon and port beat west coast, who knows.

I'm sick of the sub text around fyfe. Fyfe and ross reckon it doesn't worry them, but it sickens me as i said.

Round 7 - Essendon Home
Subiaco Oval May 7 2:40PM AWST

Assorted words from the previewer

Essendon have had a difficult last few years, in trying to add some pep to their step, their club imploded to a state where opposition fans have been making constant jabs at their club and last year were required to have top-up players injected into their side. That is all behind them now,(and for us in this thread) Essendon of 2017 have had a solid start to the season and John Worsfold might be sniffing a finals berth for the club for the first time since 2014.

Essendon (3-3) come into this match after a tough loss to Melbourne, after running out of legs in the second half following a 5-day turnaround after ANZAC Day. The game whilst a little scrappy was tight throughout the first half, with Essendon's poor kicking keeping Melbourne in it, before a second half burst from the Dees killed the game off. With a number of the senior players being rested after such a short turn-around a fit and firing Essendon will be coming over the large expanse of sand between the two clubs.

The wonderfully named small Orazio Fantasia and pr0n-'stached tall Joe Daniher have been a solid one-two punch in their forward line, contributing on average 5 goals a game between them and 3.5 behinds (mostly thanks to Daniher having the set shot skills of Travis Cloke wearing a blindfold). Short and tall combinations have caused Fremantle issues in the past and given Freo's current defensive frailties, these two should be on the top of Ross the Bosses defensive schema for this coming week. Add in their third forward – Cale Hooker and that's over half (40 of 78) of Essendon's goals this season. If Fremantle are able to shut these three down, we could see the good guys come away with the win.

The Bomber's forward line has at times been receiving some fantastic service from their midfield, including pointing extraordinaire Brendon Goddard, the best young player in the comp* (according to some Essendon fans) Zach Merrett, captain and surfing-Sideshow Bob impersonator Dyson Heppell, former captain and Brownlow winner Jobe Watson, and young-gun Darcy Parish. The question for Mr Worsfold is if the Bombers midfield brigade will be able to extract the ball from the clinches and be free enough to use their skilled feet to pick out their forwards. Essendon's B52s Tom Bellchambers and/or Matthew Leuenberger will be battling our favourite giant ruckman and if played together try to get some advantage around the ground with their 4 legs, compared to Sandiland's 2.

Patrick Ambrose has been a fantastic shutdown defender this year and will attempt to put some darkness on Fremantle's Sunshine. Michael Hurley has rebounded fantastically out of the 50. Given Fremantle's oft ill-advised attempts to kick the ball to the moon whilst entering the forward 50, Hurley must be looking forward to the upcoming feast (of cheese from the moon) he will have on Freo's forward entries.

After a painful Derby loss to the West Coast Eagles, Fremantle (3-3) welcome Essendon for their only trip west for this season. Fremantle continued their trend of starting a little slowly and coming home strongly, winning the second half against the Eagles, the only issue being the large margin hemorrhaged in a slow first half. The youth experiment of Ross Lyon has largely been a success with old war-horses Zac Dawson and Danyle Pearce being unsighted since their omission prior to round 3. The fans have some young kids to get behind and it's made going to a rather ordinary oval in it's final days not as bad as it was before. Will Ross the Boss blood more youngsters after a loss? With Sutcliffe, Collins, Ryan and Taberner impressing for Peel over the weekend, they have put their hand up to be selected if needed.

The one question we all want answered this week is if Garrick Ibbotson after a rather uninspiring defensive effort be given the boot like some of his other oldish aged pensioner colleagues for a younger defender like Sam Collins. Fremantle's midfield struggled against the Eagles and with only 4 players touching the ball more than 20 times (Langdon, Blakely, Neale and B. Hill), there might be some strong words after an insipid looking midfield display, hopefully our man-bun brigade puts this one behind them and gets more of the ball this week. The main focus this week must be on forward 50 entries, with the Dockers essentially playing kick to kick with Jeremy McGovern at times against the Eagles. The main players hoping to take advantage of any improved forward 50 entires will be Cam McCarthy and Shane Kersten, with Michael Walters vacuuming up anything that is spilled by the two taller forwards.

View from the Opposition:

Essendon board stalwart eth-dog has been kind enough to share some of his thoughts before the game.

• Why do you support Essendon?
Always have, always will. They're my father's team and have loved supporting them every week for a long time
  • How would you say the start of the season gone for Essendon?
It's been patchy, which is to be expected. If someone told me we'd be 3-3 I would have taken it to start with.
  • What is the mood of the fans like at the moment?
Happy that we can focus on football without all that other s**t hanging over our heads for the first time in nearly half a decade.
  • Who does Fremantle need to watch out for?
Essendon probably have a few key weapons for them to win. Zach Merrett is an absolute star and will be the main man for Essendon in the midfield, Orazio Fantasia has 16 goals in his 6 games so far and Joe Daniher is finding a lot of the ball but he needs to start kicking more goals.
  • Who from Fremantle do you think will cause Essendon problems?
Michael Walters is the main one, small forwards have been causing us problems for the past couple of years and I think he could be one to win the game for Fremantle.
  • Score Prediction?
I think Essendon edge Fremantle at either end of the field, and if they manage to break even with Fremantle's elite inside midfield it'll be a good day for Essendon. Dons by 32

Weather
According to my good mate, the Bureau of Meteorology, it will be a sunny and blistering hot (for May at least) 28 degrees on Sunday. This will probably bring the talls into the game more, with their clumsy big person hands being more likely to hold a drier ball.

Who does this advantage? Hard to say, if Fremantle can keep it close throughout the first half, their second half legs at home could be too much for Essendon. On the other hand, Essendon's talls have shown they have some capacity to consistently mark the ball (kicking straight is another matter), with Fremantle's Kersten and McCarthy showing form at dropping some rather elementary marks.

Last Time they Met

Fremantle farewelled old-mate Owen with a 79-point victory over Essendon.

June 4 2016 - Subiaco Oval

FREMANTLE 5.1 11.2 18.4 20.6 (126)
ESSENDON 1.3 3.4 4.7 6.11 (47)

GOALS
Fremantle:
Pavlich 3, Walters 3, Mayne 3, Ballantyne 2, Taberner, Barlow, Sheridan, Tucker, Neale, Mundy, Weller, Griffin, D Pearce
Essendon: Daniher 2, Goddard , Fantasia, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Hams

BEST
Fremantle:
Mundy, Barlow, Neale, Walters, Sheridan, Pavlich, Crozier
Essendon: Goddard, Z Merrett, Daniher, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Crowley, Parish

Odds

Fremantle: $1.63
Essendon: $2.28
Line: 7.5 points.

The gambling types have Fremantle as a favourite, with a tight line. Yadda yadda yadda, gamble at your own risk etc.

Prediction
Fremantle bounces back and runs over the top of a fatigued Essendon in the second half. Freo by 10 points.

Patrick ambrose is out for another 2-3 weeks brah

Great Preview!!

The interesting thing is we're both rebuilding, struggling teams who've done a few surprisingly decent things this year while also remaining disappointing in other areas.

From our perspective, we've beaten 3 teams that are probably above the mark in relation to Essendon's form but after last week's effort you have to question if the magic/newfound energy of our revitalised team has already waned in the face of our ongoing structural issues (keeping in mind a lot of those issues were perpetuated by senior players).

According to our 2016 script, we'd be going into full drop-the-bundle mode again and get our asses handed to us - we need to persevere, collect ourselves and grind out a win the way the Weagles did to us on the weekend.

Imagine the damage Mcdonald Tipungwuti is going to do to Sheridan if he plays as our half back flanker again. Poor Tommy will be hearing footsteps all week.
Essendon's pace might trouble us a bit, I assume many of the guys they rested for the weekend will come back in. But we should be able to get it inside 50 enough to win if our midfield plays to standard. Going to be a good tight game I reckon.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't win this one. We really need to fix our F50 entries though, it's killing us atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back