Game Day Round 7, Fremantle vs GWS Giants, Sat 7th May, 6.10pm, Domain Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
We passed our big test against the Hawks with flying colours. Now we face an entirely different sort of challenge.

We've never won in Perth. In fact, with the exception round 18 last year against the Dockers, our average losing margin at Domain Stadium over 7 games is almost 96 points. Yes, it's that bad.

So let's not be under any illusions how difficult Saturday night will be. Not only do we have to break one of the worst hoodoos in the game, we'll be up against a win-less and desperate Dockers outfit.

We need to show respect to Fremantle. They were last year's minor premiers. They're finding our what happens when you lose key position players such as Aaron Sandliands and Nate Fyfe, but it didn't stop them being competitive against the Crows in Adelaide yesterday, and it won't stop them being competitive against us at home. They do have some height down back and talent up forward.

Having said that, we're doing well at the moment. I don't think there's any need for big changes to the team. We lost Ryan Griffen for yesteday's match and were able to cover him without difficulty. Everyone did a great job against Hawthorn, and we didn't really have any passengers. A settled team is usually a sign that things are going well.

So, go in with the right attitude, and I think we will achieve our maiden win in Perth this week.

Giants by 24 points.

Certainly a danger game given the high we are on at the moment. Wins in Perth certainly will say alot whether we are actually top 4 contenders.
Does Griffen come in if fit? Me thinks his injury was bad timing as I dont see any changes to the side as warranted.

We pushed Freo last year; although we weren't that great but they were quite poor - while some appalling umpiring really hurt us at times. Next week is certainly our best chance to win in Perth & break the duck against Freo too. Providing LC can keep the boys grounded and focussed, and RTB doesn't pull out some miracle, we should win. But I will remain nervous.

Changes? I'm presuming Dev Smith & Griff will remain out with their injuries. The backline looks great and has been a huge part of our success, so reluctant to tinker with it. Personally, I think 8 backs is a little unbalanced, but no-one's played badly to deserve to be dropped, and Zac has ability to push into the middle. If LC did make a change, it would purely be for balance. However, with a great win I would expect him to go across to Perth unchanged. Perth probably not the best place to debut someone either, if thinking of swapping Hopper for someone. But with Hopper not playing NEAFL this week, I would think he needs a game in NEAFL before getting a run in firsts. So, no changes for me.

A back twinge, though more serious than thought. Leon was saying 4-6 he also kind of let slip that Hopper would be coming in. At least that's what it sounded like in the presser.
I think Leon is cleverly keeping competitions for spots on simmer. The Hopper reference seemed to me perfect example of this. Steele and Kennedy in particular would be looking over their shoulders when it comes to Hopper next week. However, I see no reason to change the side this week.

I think Leon is cleverly keeping competitions for spots on simmer. The Hopper reference seemed to me perfect example of this. Steele and Kennedy in particular would be looking over their shoulders when it comes to Hopper next week. However, I see no reason to change the side this week.

Not sure why you would have Steele looking over his should as he had a very good game and is starting to settle into the side now. I wouldn't be surprised if he picked up the rising star this round (I think he is still eligible).

For me Kennedy is the one that might be in a bit of trouble. Made some mistakes and I agree with the comments above that 8 defenders is unbalanced. Haynes showed why he is considered best 22 and won't lose his spot. Williams moving back to defence gives us so much flexibility with him being able to provide some minutes in the middle

If there are no injuries I'd give hopper a start with Kennedy making way. Let Smith get his knee right cause we need him right later in the season.

Not sure why you would have Steele looking over his should as he had a very good game and is starting to settle into the side now. I wouldn't be surprised if he picked up the rising star this round (I think he is still eligible).

For me Kennedy is the one that might be in a bit of trouble. Made some mistakes and I agree with the comments above that 8 defenders is unbalanced. Haynes showed why he is considered best 22 and won't lose his spot. Williams moving back to defence gives us so much flexibility with him being able to provide some minutes in the middle

If there are no injuries I'd give hopper a start with Kennedy making way. Let Smith get his knee right cause we need him right later in the season.
Because Steele is currently last in line in the mid field. Not saying for a moment that he should be making way this week, but if he isn't looking over his shoulder then something is wrong with his situational awareness.

Bit of stats anomaly that I came across which just shows how well we are playing.

The Giants will likely end round 6 with the lowest tackles for the league however we have only lost the tackle count once and that was by 3 tackles so our differential would probably be one of the top in the league.

We are number 1 for clearance are contested possessions numbers are good so it shows that we are winning the ball in tight and then opposition teams can't get a hand on us.

We are also out possessing our opponents. Shows the workrate of our guys has been first rate because you really shouldn't out tackle your opposition if you have the ball most of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because Steele is currently last in line in the mid field. Not saying for a moment that he should be making way this week, but if he isn't looking over his shoulder then something is wrong with his situational awareness.

I disagree. At the moment I don't think he would or should be looking over his should. Only reason any player would be doing that is if they aren't performing.

I would think he is more worried about what's in front of him (how to get to the level of Ward, Griffen, Shiel etc) than behind (hopper, Kennedy, Barrett) which is why he has improved to a point that he is cementing his place in the best 22

I disagree. At the moment I don't think he would or should be looking over his should. Only reason any player would be doing that is if they aren't performing.

I would think he is more worried about what's in front of him (how to get to the level of Ward, Griffen, Shiel etc) than behind (hopper, Kennedy, Barrett) which is why he has improved to a point that he is cementing his place in the best 22
Hmm, we disagree on the point that he shouldn't be looking over his shoulder. I think that is very much human nature and part of what inspires people to perform. To not use that as part of a motivation strategy would be a big miss by Leon. I wholeheartedly agree that looking ahead to those who lead you on performance should be a big motivation as well.

Hmm, we disagree on the point that he shouldn't be looking over his shoulder. I think that is very much human nature and part of what inspires people to perform. To not use that as part of a motivation strategy would be a big miss by Leon. I wholeheartedly agree that looking ahead to those who lead you on performance should be a big motivation as well.

An extension to my point would you think that Leon is telling the team to look over their shoulders at what Melbourne, Saints etc are doing or looking at what the Hawks, swans are doing and trying to better that?i don't think the players or team should ever be worrying about what's behind them.

An extension to my point would you think that Leon is telling the team to look over their shoulders at what Melbourne, Saints etc are doing or looking at what the Hawks, swans are doing and trying to better that?i don't think the players or team should ever be worrying about what's behind them.
Glad you are not coaching us mate. You don't seem to be able to have an arguement unless you win the day. You are now taking the point off somewhere it needed go and implying what I think. Ok, you win. Standing by for the last word on the matter...:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad you are not coaching us mate. You don't seem to be able to have an arguement unless you win the day. You are now taking the point off somewhere it needed go and implying what I think. Ok, you win. Standing by for the last word on the matter...:rolleyes:

Not trying to win the day. Just trying a have a conversation about our footy team. You know - you put your point of view across and then I do like wise and so on. Not you put yours across then I put mine across then you get the shits and run off to mum because I have a different view (was it you that did the same thing last week when I had a different point of view? I.e. Throw your toys out of he cot)

In summary, Jack Steele has been very impressive in forcing his way into a settled, high performance midfield. Someone observed last week that when the ball's in Steele's safe hands, you get quality disposal, to which I agree.

In summary, Jack Steele has been very impressive in forcing his way into a settled, high performance midfield. Someone observed last week that when the ball's in Steele's safe hands, you get quality disposal, to which I agree.

Wasn't as fancied as some of the other draftees over the past two years but buy can he play! He is just Cal2.0

Palmer we already know will be looking over his shoulder, he was already dropped for Smith once.

I think the other two looking over their shoulder would be Patfull and Scully.

Patfull because we don't want to be too top heavy in defence and Haynes is younger & better. Corr / Marchbank looking will be back looking for a spot at some point too.

Scully because he is always going to be a bit limited - doesn't win inside contests, and doesn't use the ball well. If a younger player like Steele or Hopper is providing close to the same output, then it's a no brainer that they get the spot.

And both of those guys are playing their role well!

Griffen is less under threat because he does something at an elite level - wins contests. Can kick long too.

Sign of a strong, deep team.

Palmer we already know will be looking over his shoulder, he was already dropped for Smith once.

Patfull because we don't want to be too top heavy in defence and Haynes is younger & better. Corr / Marchbank looking will be back looking for a spot at some point too.

Scully because he is always going to be a bit limited - doesn't win inside contests, and doesn't use the ball well. If a younger player like Steele or Hopper is providing close to the same output, then it's a no brainer that they get the spot.

Griffen is less under threat because he does something at an elite level - wins contests. Can kick long too.

Scully is no chance of being dropped mate u are kidding yourself

He would be one of the first selected

Not trying to win the day. Just trying a have a conversation about our footy team. You know - you put your point of view across and then I do like wise and so on. Not you put yours across then I put mine across then you get the shits and run off to mum because I have a different view (was it you that did the same thing last week when I had a different point of view? I.e. Throw your toys out of he cot)

Geez mate, I think we already established players aren't to be looking over the shoulders :p

Couple of key matchups to consider this week:

Walters - looks like the only potent fwd right now. Williams or Wilson to run off him, or Kenners to lock him down?

Neal - 40 odd possessions. Another job for Cogs perhaps?

Think we have the edge in KPP. The rest of the mids you can see plenty of options.

I really really want to win this one. And not just win.
Destroy the muthas.

We are due a coach killer.
Im with you GG.

It started with Zac "the hack" Dawson's cheap shot elbow on Jezza's nose last year. Add to that the avalanche of lectures we had on here on our club's culture over the McCarthy affair. Maybe couple that with the frustration of so many poor results from our trips to Perth. I want no prisoners taken from this one.

What? You want Scully gone?

Sorry bud but i cant disagree with you more on that.
He has been one of our best and headed to AA selecrion if he continues the form.

Im with you GG.

It started with Zac "the hack" Dawson's cheap shot elbow on Jezza's nose last year. Add to that the avalanche of lectures we had on here on our club's culture over the McCarthy affair. Maybe couple that with the frustration of so many poor results from our trips to Perth. I want no prisoners taken from this one.
Yep. Their supporters go on about culture yet a WA boy turned down more money to stay at the bombers, the ******* bombers, plus the rumours of a split in the playing group.

Itll be a joy to watch them implode.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back