Autopsy Round 7 - Geelong Cats vs GWS Giants, 7.50 pm Friday 4 May 2018 @ GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunday morning.. I now feel ready to post.

Friday was Stars wars day....May the fourth....My youngest son Lukes 11th birthday. (True). We went to the club for the Bistro roast at his request for dinner then went home for his specially made cake and sat down to watch the footy. By 3/4 time he was in a food colouring & sugar induced coma. When he woke Saturday the first thing he said to me was " we were crap last night weren't we" he then made us a cup of tea and moved on with his day. He asked later in the day if we were going to Sydney next week to watch the Giants play, when I said yes he was excited and is already looking forward to the game. No vitriol or worrying about the last game, just moving on to next week.

After a result like that his example to me was brilliant.

Friday was more like the Empire strikes back. We look forward to return of the Jedi

Last edited:
One thing I couldn’t tell from last night’s game was how on earth Geelong seemed to have extra men everywhere.

Obviously some guys had run with roles, but Geelong seemed to be playing an extra defender, midfielder and forward.

Who wasn’t running?

Unfortunately its cause you guys had players like shipley (who has an excuse as a second gamer) who for 70 minutes only got 1 handball and 1 tackle! That right there explains the extra man!

I love the guants and i think you guys just have to put this down to injury riddled bleep ans move on. Lids back, kelly back, greene back, cameron back, a proper ruck and you guys will be just fine!!

Unfortunately its cause you guys had players like shipley (who has an excuse as a second gamer) who for 70 minutes only got 1 handball and 1 tackle! That right there explains the extra man!

I love the guants and i think you guys just have to put this down to injury riddled bleep ans move on. Lids back, kelly back, greene back, cameron back, a proper ruck and you guys will be just fine!!
I thought Shipley played a forward role, so we weren’t exactly rebounding and feeding the ball forward to him.
He can’t get a touch if he’s staying in position and the ball’s not coming forward, right?

I thought Shipley played a forward role, so we weren’t exactly rebounding and feeding the ball forward to him.
He can’t get a touch if he’s staying in position and the ball’s not coming forward, right?
I think that's part of it. I dont think you can blame him, or Buckley and Keefe for that matter. Our structures didn't work and the senior players have to wear that.

I think that's part of it. I dont think you can blame him, or Buckley and Keefe for that matter. Our structures didn't work and the senior players have to wear that.

Cant blame him but hes not up to the standard yet and no excuses about structure or fwd role can hide the fact he didnt touch the ball in 70+ minutes time on ground and had 1 tackle and only 10 pressure acts (30th out of 44).

I am all for players playing a role but if you dont touch ball you have to tackle and if you dont tackle you have to pressure and he didnt do any!!!

As i said i love gws and just thibk the injuries took their toll but you have to ask questions about why he was playing as essentially you went into the game 21 vs 22.

(And to make it more clear here are the possesions for defenders so he would have had to be on at least one of these guys. And these guys all had the same anount of time with ball in back half)

Gregson 11 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles
Bews 13,4,2
Kola 14,6,1
Gutherie 17,3,1
Henry 18,11,3
Stewart, tuohy, thurlow, blicavs all over 20+)

Cant blame him but hes not up to the standard yet and no excuses about structure or fwd role can hide the fact he didnt touch the ball in 70+ minutes time on ground and had 1 tackle and only 10 pressure acts (30th out of 44).

I am all for players playing a role but if you dont touch ball you have to tackle and if you dont tackle you have to pressure and he didnt do any!!!

As i said i love gws and just thibk the injuries took their toll but you have to ask questions about why he was playing as essentially you went into the game 21 vs 22.

(And to make it more clear here are the possesions for defenders so he would have had to be on at least one of these guys. And these guys all had the same anount of time with ball in back half)

Gregson 11 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles
Bews 13,4,2
Kola 14,6,1
Gutherie 17,3,1
Henry 18,11,3
Stewart, tuohy, thurlow, blicavs all over 20+)
All three of the guys I mentioned got a game because they were the best available to play. Bonar undoubtedly has more potential but from last weeks NEAFL report is still working on some areas of his game. Cumming may well come under consideration this week. We dont have the depth we had and I still think it would be a mistake to focus too much on the most junior players for Friday nights loss.

All three of the guys I mentioned got a game because they were the best available to play. Bonar undoubtedly has more potential but from last weeks NEAFL report is still working on some areas of his game. Cumming may well come under consideration this week. We dont have the depth we had and I still think it would be a mistake to focus too much on the most junior players for Friday nights loss.

Fair call but i think as a coach caneron should have realised shipley wasnt working and gave hime a go somewhere to give him confidence? Or change it up to see if someone else could play a better role?

Just seems madness to keep a guy on the field for 3/4 of a game who is essentially not doing anything.

I would have loved to see him moved to defence or given a shot through middle.

But move on and hopefully better game next week. As i said this is a bleep on radar abd hopefully it lets geelong get ahead of themselves as lets be honest they are bo world beaters (just got lucky with matchup and injuries)

And is there no one more established in neafl? Or all injured?
The NEAFL guys available: Sproule & Jack Buckley (Cat B rookies & talls), Mohr & Taylor (tall defenders), Flynn (ruckman), Buntine (defender, second game back after 392 days injured), Cumming (speedy defender, but has has a couple of small injuries this year), Bonar (similar to Shipley in being a first year player, but lacks a tank due to a junior injury), Daniels (another first year player, only played 1 game due injury) and Perryman (second year, first game back from injury). That's it, the rest are injured. So, no-one more established suited to that role.

To me, Shipley's been playing a mixture of wing & half forward (bit hard to tell exactly on the TV screen, and the forwards always move up the ground, especially in that game where it was played heavily in Geelong's half). Normally that's Scully & Whitfield; Kelly & Williams would swap in and out in games; Tommo did it in last year's GF. Noting the swathe of injuries to those names, Tommo and Lids have been playing wing, losing Lids for this game cut our options (Shipley came in last game when Tommo was pushed into a forward/ruck role). Realistically, Shipley's just not ready for first grade, but GWS had limited options.

Quality over quantity. Kelly, Greene and Cameron are more important outs than 3 of your best outs.

That said, that's not an excuse to play like chumps.
Our leading goalkicker. (Menzel) Our fullback and CHB. (Henderson and Taylor) The second greatest player to have played this game. (Ablett) Cockatoo and Parfitt who are our best small forwards ... the latter currently ranked the best forward in the AFL according to points. And our best ruckman (Smith)

Then there's also Guthrie and McCarthy who are best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I an really trying to avoid this thread....this is not helping my good humour.
I wish our best ruck could be found playing in the twos for the last month.

Our leading goalkicker. (Menzel) Our fullback and CHB. (Henderson and Taylor) The second greatest player to have played this game. (Ablett) Cockatoo and Parfitt who are our best small forwards ... the latter currently ranked the best forward in the AFL according to points. And our best ruckman (Smith)

Then there's also Guthrie and McCarthy who are best 22.

Our leading goal kicker was out (Cameron)

Our best small forward (Greene)

Our best ruckman (Lobb)

Sorry, we see you and probably raise you.

In terms of midfielders, yes, you had Ablett out, but we had Scully and Kelly. And while we did have our best KPDs, we had our best Half back flanker out (Williams)

If you really, really, really want to do who had the worst outs, I think we might win.

That said, we have no excuses for playing as poor as we did. None.

Last edited:
Only thing I want to add to this is that it does not help our cause when

Our leading goal kicker was out (Cameron)

Our best small forward (Greene)

Our best ruckman (Lobb)

Sorry, we see you and probably raise you.

In terms of midfielders, yes, you had Ablett out, but we had Scully and Kelly. And while we did have our best KPDs, we had our best Half back flanker out (Williams)

If you really, really, really want to do who had the worst outs, I think we might win.

That said, we have no excuses for playing as poor as we did. None.
Ok. I still don't agree but we'll leave it there since it's your board.

But surely you do agree that its a bit silly to classify your #1 ruck as someone who has been in the reserves all year?
Brain fade on behalf of the MC more than anything. read our board and I think you'll find most scratching their heads at that decision.

It's no coincidence we've gone from being a good clearance team with Smith to dead last with Stanley.

Brain fade on behalf of the MC more than anything. read our board and I think you'll find most scratching their heads at that decision.

It's no coincidence we've gone from being a good clearance team with Smith to dead last with Stanley.

For what its worth i played with zac and he is a gun! Great guy and player.

But in you using him as an example of players missing is like saying i am unlucky as i dont have an xbox1 (when i chose to buy a ps4 instead) lol

But regardless lets compare:

Kelly - ablett (equal)
williams - Taylor (equal)
Geeene - menzel (you guys were getting rid of menzel and greene all australian so lets not even pretend they are equal lol)
Kennedy - henderson (equal)
Lobb - nobody (as explained above lol plus means giants had no ruck)
Deledio - guthrie (hmm lets be leniant and call it even ignoring for. Deledio was in)
Cameron - parfit (cameron gws leadingb goalkicker and more important)
Scully - cockatoo (scully again over inconsistant cockatoo)
Then setterfeld there aswell

Just a bit of perspective from a neutral gc and richmond supporter (richmond supporter but gc enthusiast due to location)

You lost me there. I'm sure the rest of your post improved.

I agree. I'd take a 2017-2018 Kelly over 2017-2018 Ablett without a second thought.

I already knew from your work on other boards you're so one-eyed you never would. :)
Call it what you want mate. Ablett's averaged more disposals in both those years and has been the better performed player this year.

Ablett is simply the better player.

Maybe you're one-eyed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back