Autopsy Round 7 - Geelong Cats vs GWS Giants, 7.50 pm Friday 4 May 2018 @ GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not trying to excuse Leon but think a lot of the criticism is way out of proportion. I get it, it's not just this week that coaching and strategy has been very suspect.

But he didn't have much to work with this week. All he had was toothpicks to bring to a gun fight. I wouldn't have made the Keefe or even Buckley inclusion but they were far from the players who lost us that game. Easy to look terrible out there tonight if you were wearing orange.

Nothing surer than we'll come out firing at home after that. I think both the WA sides are better than most think, but our record back home after getting smacked is pretty awesome.
The problem is Mgovern and Hurn. They mark every ball that goes into your 50 with no purpose. That is our problem

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cats were missing 8 to.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Our 8 were waaaaaaay better than their 8.

And actually we were missing more than 8. We were missing the players that are fringe 22 that would have been picked ahead of some of the other players that played tonight (eg Bunts, Kenners, Setterfield)

Before I forget, I want to give a shout out to Taranto. Tackled his little heart out.

Our 8 were waaaaaaay better than their 8.

And actually we were missing more than 8. We were missing the players that are fringe 22 that would have been picked ahead of some of the other players that played tonight (eg Bunts, Kenners, Setterfield)

Before I forget, I want to give a shout out to Taranto. Tackled his little heart out.
I loved that kid so much tonight

Doesn’t matter how many we had out. Doesn’t matter who we had out. It’s an excuse that’s basically irrelevant.

It wasn’t the replacement players not being up to snuff. It was everyone.

It was just a poor performance - across the board.

The players we had were just poor. All of them. The focus on the players we didn’t have is annoying. Doesn’t matter if Kelly and Greene and Cameron and Lobb were all playing when it gets kicked directly to Blicavs or Selwood or Bewes or out on the full.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what changes can we expect for next week?

Apparently Jezza comes back and possibly Lobb.

From NEAFL one can only look to guys like Mohr, Cumming, Bonar, Sproule.

Buntine and Daniels need more footy, Taylor not ready yet.

On face value Jezza, Lobb, Bonar in for Shipley, Keeffe and Buckley.

Well and truly over Sam Reid even though I know he’s just a fill in. He just adds nothing.

Looks like Lloydy agrees with me.

It was one-way traffic at GMHBA Stadium, with the Cats running out winners by 61 points.

GWS managed only four goals – matched by Geelong spearhead Tom Hawkins.

Matthew Lloyd said some of the Giants out there don’t cut it.

“Nick Shipley’s young, but he doesn’t look ready,” Lloydy said.

“Dylan Buckley: AFL isn’t cut out for him. Sam Reid: the time has probably gone that he should be in the team.

“You’ve got Lachie Keeffe trying to find a spot… probably not for him either.

“There no one in Geelong’s team who you think shouldn’t be playing at AFL level.

Lloydy said both teams have injuries, so that’s no excuse for the Giants.

“Even with injuries, you should still understand the system,” he said.

“No Ablett, Taylor, Henderson, Cockatoo, Parfitt, Menzel – it didn’t matter (for Geelong). They just kept playing their way.”

https://omny.fm/shows/3aw-is-football/full-time-wrap-geelong-def-gws-lloydy-says-some-gi

I was there. Players looked completely intimidated in the first 5-10 min and it was all downhill from there.

To my eye one of the big issues with the injuries over the last 2 years is that some guys can coast somewhat and still be certain of getting a game.

Exhibit A: Adam Tomlinson.

Genuinely feel like Cameron is a very poor coach. Have for a while.

Any team can be undermanned as the Giants were tonight, yet still put in fight, show heart and be in the game. None of that happened. He’s a poor coach who needs a fit and firing team and even then he can only muster it to be “good in patches”. This side has always been far too inconsistent and really patchy. Discouraged fan tonight.

Genuinely feel like Cameron is a very poor coach. Have for a while.

Any team can be undermanned as the Giants were tonight, yet still put in fight, show heart and be in the game. None of that happened. He’s a poor coach who needs a fit and firing team and even then he can only muster it to be “good in patches”. This side has always been far too inconsistent and really patchy. Discouraged fan tonight.

I reckon he’s a hell of a nice bloke and is good at analysing a game but I don’t think he has a ruthless bone in his body and I don’t think he has a plan. Alastair Clarkson was a c*** of a bloke as a footballer, as were the Scott brothers, as was Leigh Matthews. You don’t have to have that persona but you do need to be ruthless.

Forget injuries, even with a full deck there are only a handful of games when his coached teams have looked amazing. In most games we plod along and get the job done having superior talent/athletes.

You can only get by doing that for so long. This team is now flatlining and there is no bag of tricks that can save it. If we got most or all the blokes back we would be good enough to get to the finals and will then get thrown out. If the injury situation remains we won’t make it there.

I think we probably need a better man at the helm but the AFL always cuts corners in this regards with the expansion teams, so we are likely to get another cheap L Plater if they ever get sick of us under-achieving.

Last edited:
Incredibly disappointing loss and not many positives to be taken out of the game so hopefully the coaches can take things out of the game for the guys to work on during the week and we see an improved performance at spotless next Saturday
I will say it was equally the Giants players that lost the game and also a well executed game plan by the Cats that won the game
Pressure will be on for spots now with that performance so maybe a couple of debuts for the West Coast game as the squad is looking pretty thin

Last edited:
I don’t think Leon Cameron is the right person. With our talent our team should be doing a lot better. Forget about injuries. That team still had Davis, Haynes, Whitfield, Coniglio, Shiel, Ward, Taranto, Griffen etc.
they made 75 odd tackles... which can often reflect that the effort was there. Sadly, they aren’t being coached right. They can’t be. No group of players that have played together for this many years and have as many AGraders as we do should be capable of a loss light this.... more importantly playing like this for a number of weeks.
Can I just say I thought that Heath Shaw’s effort against Dangerfield looked terrible. I was at the game. He doesn’t look like he cares too much... more like he is happy to collect a pay chèque.
Time to look for another coach.

While I’m at it, Patton does need a spell. And is it just me or am I right in saying that Hopper is barely noticeable on the field. Slow, no tank, average kick and doesn’t rack up big numbers. Why did we keep him?
Hopper playing like he doesnt want to be here.
He hasnt had a good 2018 game yet

I note the MB thread abusing Leon by a Giants poster has been deleted entirely. That was really disappointing to me.

Hopper playing like he doesnt want to be here.
He hasnt had a good 2018 game yet

Hopper was tagging Selwood and Taranto was also given a defensive role with Cogs.

With those guys nullified it was left to Shiel and Ward to carry the can offensively.

It just makes the selection of Shipley and Reid laughable. Shipley for the 2nd week in a row ran around like a lost puppy whilst Reid for the 9th year in a row ran around and did nothing.

Is this team about fluffy media releases or about winning?

Hopper was tagging Selwood and Taranto was also given a defensive role with Cogs.

With those guys nullified it was left to Shiel and Ward to carry the can offensively.

It just makes the selection of Shipley and Reid laughable. Shipley for the 2nd week in a row ran around like a lost puppy whilst Reid for the 9th year in a row ran around and did nothing.

Is this team about fluffy media releases or about winning?
Media releases it seems.

And no my annoyance hasnt settled with some sleep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back