Autopsy Round 7 geelong defeated by gold coast suns

Remove this Banner Ad

pretty sure your back six are average. (all too slow)
You let gold coast, score 34 times from 72 entries (basically one in every 2)
WCE conceded 68 I50s on the weekend
Port scored 27 times from 68 (about 40%)
Sure some of it is lack of pressure up the field on the ball coming in, but the defenders have to have some responsibility too
Well im glad we now know how we stacked up compared to the Eagles based on one game. Thanks mate.

Sure some of it is lack of pressure up the field on the ball coming in, but the defenders have to have some responsibility too

Oh... well if you say they are average then they must be.

Just watched Chris's presser for the first time. Must say it comes across as pretty arrogant him stuffing around on his phone.

Also at the end found it interesting how he said "we don't play players that aren't right" when asked about Henderson's late withdrawal.

Well Chris, Dangerfield clearly hasn't been right for weeks.....

Last edited:
Entries aren't always the same. It's not only the amount of entries that have been allowed the last two weeks but the type. Relatively quick, direct entries under no where near enough pressure. Agree Domsy is finished and we need more speed back there but the systems and effort up field are what is letting things down.

Entries aren't always the same. It's not only the amount of entries that have been allowed the last two weeks but the type. Relatively quick, direct entries under no where near enough pressure.

And we're conceding a lot of entries through the middle due to ineffective zoning/not defending the corridor well enough. Then on top of that there's the kick-in strategy of bombing straight down the middle, which leaves us extremely exposed any time it doesn't yield a Geelong mark. I'd be interested in a map of the location of opposition shots on goal the last two weeks; I know there have been a few goals from very tight angles (Fasolo, Maynard and Ablett), but the overwhelming majority have been from central locations where shot accuracy is typically high.

In the Gold Coast game this was especially obvious (although admittedly there were some egregious individual errors as well, so it wasn't all defensive structures and game plan-related).

The game plan made every player look flat

This^.

I just re-watched the game. For all you guys who are "drop half the side, bring in other players" (who it turns out are not much better) you need to think about this. We were beaten by the same game plan two weeks in a row. The players were not individually terrible (except late in the game when we were rolling the dice and turning it over instead- that made them look amateurish) it was just a really bad game plan or perhaps a good one poorly executed. Look at the coaching staff!

Round 7 vs Gold Coast Player Spotlight: NAKIA COCKATOO (Full Match Edit)

Nakia Cockatoo Round 7 vs Gold Coast
14 disposals
10 kicks
4 handballs
4 marks
3 tackles
Not a terrible game by any means imo, but boy does he need to either fix his snaps or stop attempting them. They were disasters there.

Agreed...Bews was one of our better players and I haven't been much of a fan in the past.

Lets hope he can go on with it, and secure a spot.

You set a low bar
Relatively "better" cause many were worse
Seems every time Jeb Bews plays the Cats lose.
I'll call him Jinx Bews till plays in string of 3 wins.

Last edited:
Just watched Chris's presser for the first time. Must say it comes across as pretty arrogant him stuffing around on his phone.

Also at the end found it interesting how he said "we don't play players that aren't right" when asked about Henderson's late withdrawal.

Well Chris, Dangerfield clearly hasn't been right for weeks.....
He said that days before playing Henderson in the prelim too. I always take that statement from him with a grain of salt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You set a low bar

He has won 3 consecutive matches before in his career: Last year he played 8 matches and we won 6 of those games:

Rnd 6: versus Suns, won 168 to 48
Rnd 8: versus Crows, won 92 to 78
Rnd 9: versus Magpies, loss 70 to 104
Rnd 18: versus Crows, won 85 to 55
Rnd 19: versus Bulldogs, won 103 to 78
Rnd 20: versus Bombers, won 100 to 34
Rnd 23: versus Demons, won 155 to 44
PF: versus Swans, loss 60 to 97.

Across his career he has played 33 matches for 18 wins, 1 draw and 14 losses. Keep in mind that 8 of those losses came in 2015 when he played 16 matches (he also had 1 draw in 2015)

And after playing the first 12 matches of 2015, he has only played 3 consecutive matches on one further occasion, and when he did he was part of a side that won all 3 matches.

Round 7 vs Gold Coast Player Spotlight: NAKIA COCKATOO (Full Match Edit)

Nakia Cockatoo Round 7 vs Gold Coast
14 disposals
10 kicks
4 handballs
4 marks
3 tackles

He just leaves you wanting more. So much talent there. I hope one day he just explodes.

He just leaves you wanting more. So much talent there. I hope one day he just explodes.

It's a raw, explosive talent he has, that's for sure, just that he doesn't seem like he has much idea what to do with it. Everything's so manic and wild when it comes to Cocky; he plays as if he's a little kid on a sugar high. It all seems to happen a mile a minute when he's involved. Combine that with his relatively unusual skillset combination and you imagine the coaches probably have to deal with his development slightly different to other players as they try to work out how to best harness his unique abilities.

You set a low bar
One of the dumbest posts that I've read on here.

It's also interesting how Cockatoo does the unexpected in contested situations sometimes. He's a physical player, but the way he chooses to use that physicality is unconventional, in that he often chooses to bump or simply shove opponents to ground at unusual moments such as when a tackle or attempted gather might be have been expected; if you go to the 19.10 mark of the final quarter in the video I posted above, the ball spills loose on the ground around a stoppage and, as Ablett goes down to try and win it, no doubt expecting to have to fight for the ball, Cockatoo doesn't even bother attempting to gather, instead choosing to just barge through GAJ, forcing the former Suns captain to ground and allowing Danger to gather behind him.

It's a strange choice, but a highly effective one, and I'm not sure too many other players would do that in such a crowded contested situation.

Thanks Daz. Don't forget old fogey disease in my case.
We all have some of that...

And yes, I also went to bed about 6 am after getting up at 1230 for the KROCK pre game and forgot to start it... PO got to it later but dropped the ball also...:oops:

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back