Review Round 7 - Gold Coast @ West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sorry friend but Lemmens!
Did you mean Hanley and Weller surely.
Forgot about Hanley but Lemmens kicked 4 goals tonight and we desperately need more scoring. He's also quick and we're lacking pace. I know he can turn it over but we lack excitement up there.

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Play that at home and we win IMO. Eagles are barely going. Some of the umpiring was unreal. Never seen the calls like that before.

Put Weller and Hanley back in and Rankine and we also win IMO.

Poor 2MP looks very weary after having to carry the forward line and secondary ruck duties.

Touk no-where tonight. Barely saw him and when I did he was turning it over by foot again :/

Good games from most of the team I thought.

GHS surely needs to go. Don't know who for but we surely have someone fit to play whatever role he was playing tonight.
Weller Hanley Rankine Ah Chee virtually anyone really.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Love Corbett and it's not just because of his marking. His workrate to get so high up the ground and his defensive transition stuff is really good for a player of his type. Runs extremely hard in defence and to put pressure on. Love it.

Have we got a better set shot in the team than Powell? When he's 30 out I have no doubt it's going in.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Nicholls is so far off AFL standard it's not funny.
That's what I am trying to said in a decent way . You can't rubbish one player and target other like Brodie . Every week , young , Holman , Joyce , GhS , Murdoch , Brodie are in who is the best scapegoat or getting high possession in NEAFL to come in .

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Lemmens is so classy . Should come in for young .

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Can't believe some comments here. Not sure what people expect. We are in rebuild. Eagles are premiers, 2 years older, 10 players 150+ games, us 1, Eagles backs against wall after 2 miserable games. And we took it to them in 3rd quarter. Effort, contest is there. We will lose most games but if they play like 3rd qtr I am happy. Some people need a reality check.
Agree 3000% - Decided to hold my tounge during the game but between here and the "foundation member" nuffies on FB it's enough to drive a man insane. Almost as if the word "rebuild" doesn't exist.
Wright need to wear a glove or something to make the marks stick
Time to break Trav Cloke's glove back outta mothballs to OBJ some fools. (yes, I'm aware it's illegal, let me have this)

Missed frees for us is borderline tampering. I can't believe it.
That one against Ballard at the end of the 3rd even had the one eyed Fox Footy crew questioning its legitimacy, Thankfully "Ball don't lie"

Play that at home and we win IMO. Eagles are barely going. Some of the umpiring was unreal. Never seen the calls like that before.

Put Weller and Hanley back in and Rankine and we also win IMO.

Poor 2MP looks very weary after having to carry the forward line and secondary ruck duties.

Touk no-where tonight. Barely saw him and when I did he was turning it over by foot again :/

Good games from most of the team I thought.

GHS surely needs to go. Don't know who for but we surely have someone fit to play whatever role he was playing tonight.
Like what we did two years ago? One of my happier home memory's going to that one with a buddy from Perth

Crazy to think who we've got out and still developing and still got within 2 kicks of the chocolates late.

Petes been asked to do alot but the onus is on him to step up, He can't really complain about lack of opportunies, The platform is his to be the top guy in forward 50. Let's see it big fella.

Touk tagging maybe? I'm not ready to write him off just yet but agree needs a bit of composure with the footy and to clean up his disposals a fair bit.

GHS in to protect a player to come back next week from travelling over West? Just a knee-jerk theory.

Otherwise can't fault the effort, The fightback in the third was spirited when many times over the last few years we've rolled over and lost by triple figures. I'm betting most of us would have taken 23 points at the start of the day and doubly so at half time.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Touk tagging maybe? I'm not ready to write him off just yet but agree needs a bit of composure with the footy and to clean up his disposals a fair bit.

Hard to tell with Touk Bowes fiorini because dew throws them around a lot you never know what their role is
Bowes seemed to play the loose sweeping defender around the backline towards the end
Fiorini copped that kick in the leg early and looked like he maybe playing a loose half forward mid tagger
But Touk didn’t really see a lot of him on tv so couldn’t see his role whether he was tagging or being tagged or just had a stinker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Been a while since we've been described as gritty-if ever
Credit to Dew he went for the win in the last 5 minutes-didn't just make do with the honorable loss
That pass by Spitta to Sexxy for our last goal was magical

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
This game plan will only allow us to compete with the bottom 4 teams in the comp

I can only hope Dew has some long term plan to build on this game plan to provide us with some ability to score more

On CPH1725 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think for a team who probably didn’t know what true intensity and effort was it was kind of a necessity.
I also hope once our players develop a bit we open the flood gates and play a more attacking instinctual game.
5 year plan kind of adjustments.

I haven’t seen the game yet but feel like there will be a number of these losses - low scoring games that we were never really in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Hard to tell with Touk Bowes fiorini because dew throws them around a lot you never know what their role is
Bowes seemed to play the loose sweeping defender around the backline towards the end
Fiorini copped that kick in the leg early and looked like he maybe playing a loose half forward mid tagger
But Touk didn’t really see a lot of him on tv so couldn’t see his role whether he was tagging or being tagged or just had a stinker
Fiorini copped a heavy tag from Hutchings. Great experience for him to deal with that.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Classy!
Now I know you’re taking the piss

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hahhahaha , yup I am , every single week people want changes in line up for the sake of it , why not play along. GHS got to come in because he is experienced and bigger body , another week GHS is slow and done nothing replace him with somebody else .Young 10 disposal two tackle and a behind and you keep saying he is a scoring machine .

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Games like that give you hope that we are somewhat on the right track, especially with less influential games from Fiorini, Bowes, etc. and with Hanley, Weller, Rankine all out losing a lot of speed.

Probably the hardest road trip in footy with the umpiring as well, and while you could take away a lot of negatives still, you’ve got to be impressed with the young guys endeavour and never say die attitude. Was needed after the last 2 weeks.

Also loving Powell’s work. 2 goals in front of the team that was apparently right keen on him before we swooped in first. His development curve has been ridiculous.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool

Also loving Powell’s work. 2 goals in front of the team that was apparently right keen on him before we swooped in first. His development curve has been ridiculous.
Isn't it GCS swap multiple second Rd pick with Eagles that year for their first round . .should thanks Geelong for being generous giving first round pick for Ablett .

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Really impressed with the second half. Clear pass mark for that game, played hard for 3 quarters and did not get blown out.

Woeful 2nd quarter were we were scored against too easily. But had a real crack after that, on the road and after being 7 goals down. A few who were quiet dug in and played a lot better.

Corbett showing why they wanted him in the team, covers so much ground and is hungry in the contest. Ainsworth looked like he had more burst and spring this week as well, the extra running from Powell made a difference.

If we can swap some of the slow pokes for Weller, Rankine and Hanley (and even Lemmens) we can hopefully defend better through the middle of the ground, plus get a few more quick attacks.

After 2 floggings, dare I say it was 'really pleasing' to play a competitive game on the road. Also, get Minson off.

Back