• Brisbane by 1-24

• Brisbane by 25-49

• Brisbane by 50+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is emotional?

That’s a laugh!!

No goal posts being moved, some just don’t agree with you.

I’m not emotional. I find Jack being brought in over COR to be disgusting, but I’m not surprised, and when you’re not surprised you’re able to contain your emotions.

The goal posts are being moved a lot, and that’s what leads to conversations escalating into 10-page back and forths.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He is 18!
I would personally ease him into AFL footy rather than throw him into the fire pit.

(Do NOT being up Walsh, on a different level)

Walsh is not the only 18 year old midfielder who gets a go in the midfield. I am not talking about playing Rowbottom in the midfield for the entire game as he probably isn't up for that yet, but what about 40% of the game, ease him into it that way rather than playing him the entire game out of position.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
This is exactly my point. He plays bruise-free footy. Seems like you only need to touch him and he ends up with niggles. That’s not good for the team to have someone like that involved. Too many games now it’s felt like the youngsters are carrying Jack, not the other way round. Should’ve retired end of last year.

F
M
D
some thickness being shared on here.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I’m not emotional. I find Jack being brought in over COR to be disgusting, but I’m not surprised, and when you’re not surprised you’re able to contain your emotions.

The goal posts are being moved a lot, and that’s what leads to conversations escalating into 10-page back and forths.

COR doesn’t play in the forward line.....

If Thurlow or Melican or similar were dropped you would have a point... but they weren’t... so I don’t really see your point at all.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Walsh is not the only 18 year old midfielder who gets a go in the midfield. I am not talking about playing Rowbottom in the midfield for the entire game as he probably isn't up for that yet, but what about 40% of the game, ease him into it that way rather than playing him the entire game out of position.

What does play in the midfield even mean?
Start in the centre square?

As I demonstrated before 20/23 disposals have happened between the arcs, the midfield if you like....

Positions are more meaningless in AFL footy than many realise imo. You just need to be able to compete all over the ground, especially as a “midfielder”.

‘course. It’s just footy.

They had us in the first half. Not gonna lie.

I’m so disgusted I’ve been pacing back and forth around my lounge room ever since I found out, and at 1am, all that disgust just culminated and I punched a hole in my wall, Clarko-style. Finally, after I’d hurled some fine China across the kitchen in rage, I sat down and replayed last week’s NEAFL game in COR’s honour.

COR doesn’t play in the forward line.....

If Thurlow or Melican or similar were dropped you would have a point... but they weren’t... so I don’t really see your point at all.

I said before. COR comes in and takes Cunningham’s place, Cunningham (who I rate as a pressure forward) takes Jack’s place.

Edit: or RUNVS’ option above too. There’s lots of scenarios where you don’t have to play a has-been and can still get important leadership where you need it.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

As I demonstrated before 20/23 disposals have happened between the arcs, the midfield if you like....

Positions are more meaningless in AFL footy than many realise imo. You just need to be able to compete all over the ground, especially as a “midfielder”.

It means play in the midfield, spend most of his time between the arks and like you said be in the centre square, or near the ruckman when there is a ball up in the middle parts of the ground.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Simple. Play COR in defence, move Mills to the midfield and move Parker forward. It doesn't need to be a like for like swap.

So move another slow midfielder in?
Doesn’t really solve anything and given COR probably isn’t as good as Mills in defence, we just lose out.

Midfielder to me means you’re involved at the stoppages and centre bounces. Rowbottom wasn’t. He was clearly instructed to play in space, which is fine that was his role. But don’t then use his contested possession numbers as a reason why he was dropped.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So move another slow midfielder in?
Doesn’t really solve anything and given COR probably isn’t as good as Mills in defence, we just lose out.

Have you seen Mills in defence this year?

Plus I think while Mills moving might (might) make defence a bit weaker it will make our midfield stronger, and our midfield is pretty much the worst midfield in the league at the moment. I am willing to rob Peter who is doing okay to pay Paul who is starving on the streets.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I said before. COR comes in and takes Cunningham’s place, Cunningham (who I rate as a pressure forward) takes Jack’s place.

Edit: or RUNVS’ option above too. There’s lots of scenarios where you don’t have to play a has-been and can still get important leadership where you need it.

So put a far worse kick than Cunningham in defence, an area we are already struggling in?

Again that creates more problems.

Coaching is all about striking a balance across the ground, from experience even at a low level, it’s hard lol

As underwhelming as I find the inclusion of Kizza, it's a fine line. I would like to see us playing the youth, but playing the youth when they're not ready also isn't ideal for their development. Same with selecting players who are grossly out of form.

Personally, my balance between the two would probably look like this right now:
FB: COR - Melican - Aliir
HB: Thurlow - Rampe - Lloyd
C: Jones - Mills - Florent
HF: Dawson - Reid - Heeney
FF: Papley - McCartin - Hayward
Foll: Sinclair - Kennedy - Parker
I/C: Hewett - Fox - Cunningham - Rowbottom

So not far off what they've gone with, really. COR in for Jack and Rowbottom for Blakey with Mills in the mids the only real differences. Heeney and Parker ideally rotating, and would be good if we can find JPK's replacement by season's end. Also be good to see Rowbottom get some time in the mids. I'd also ideally like to see Rose get an extended run at some point too. Otherwise there was no point in re-signing him. Give him a month or so and if he shows nothing, stamp his papers.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Have you seen Mills in defence this year?

Plus I think while Mills moving might (might) make defence a bit weaker it will make our midfield stronger, and our midfield is pretty much the worst midfield in the league at the moment. I am willing to rob Peter who is doing okay to pay Paul who is starving on the streets.

It might make our midfield stronger... not will.

I am not sold that he will necessarily be a better midfielder than Parker.

I also think our midfield issues are more when the ball moves past the stoppage, we just aren’t quick enough to compete for the ground ball. Could be wrong.

So put a far worse kick than Cunningham in defence, an area we are already struggling in?

Again that creates more problems.

Coaching is all about striking a balance across the ground, from experience even at a low level, it’s hard lol

Cunningham does nothing with his kicks in defence anyway. We’re instructed to go sideways or down the line by the coach who hired some on this board to represent him. COR would provide run out of defence, Cunningham would provide tackling pressure inside AND leadership inside 50. Or, if we went with RUNVS alternative, COR provides more run out of defence than Mills, yes Mills is slow in the midfield but he’d replace Parker whose just as slow so it’s no worse off, then Parker goes forward, where he should be playing, and provides, you guessed it, leadership inside 50.

See, no emotions. Just two logical alternatives where we could’ve avoided playing a guy who doesn’t deserve a game and simultaneously rewarded the guy who does deserve a game, all the while keeping our leadership in-tact!

stevie26

Club Legend
Mar 3, 2016
SE Asia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney women's team
Maybe Rowbum's omission is a type of management. Rather than a week off playing a game of footy they are letting him have an easier run in the 2's. He's going to get a very good blooding (pun not intended) this year. No doubt.
Also reckon COR will get an extended run from about round 10 onwards.

Maybe Rowbum's omission is a type of management. Rather than a week off playing a game of footy they are letting him have an easier run in the 2's. He's going to get a very good blooding (pun not intended) this year. No doubt.
Also reckon COR will get an extended run from about round 10 onwards.

I keep hearing this. That COR’s opportunity will come. This is his prime opportunity. If he can’t get a game when McVeigh’s out, he sure as hell won’t get one when McVeigh’s in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back