Preview Round 7, St. Kilda vs GWS Giants, Friday 5th May, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
We have our second consecutive Friday night fixture this week, taking on a triumphant St. Kilda, who destroyed Hawthorn in Launceston this afternoon. I saw some of that game and ex-Giant Josh Bruce was having a great old time potting goals against what seems to be a disintegrating team.

This Friday, the Saints are back at their favourite ground and will enter the contest full of confidence after a poor start to the season.

With us, the best thing about last night was the four points. The class of individual players allowed us to win, as there were long periods of play when the Bulldogs dominated, but were unable to exert scoreboard pressure thanks to inaccuracy and bad decisions.

We sustained some worrying injuries, which probably isn't surprising, as we have to play really hard to beat them. It's becoming a real pyschological battle against the Bulldogs, more than just a physical challenge.

Time will tell how serious those injuries are. While Callan and Shane were able to get back on the field, and Shane able to exert tremendous authority, Nick Haynes unexpectedly did the splits late in the game, and was seen limping to the sidelines. He is so important for us in the backline, hopefully it is not serious.

To everyone's dismay, Toby let his temper get the better of him again and was reported for striking in unusual circumstances, in which the field umpire was heard to say that Toby was being monitored in particular for indiscretions. I don't know if it was a wise thing to say, perhaps it can used in some way at the tribunal? But I think the only question will be how many weeks we'll be without him.

We should have some good news this week, with Stephen probably making a welcome return to the team. He will certainly strengthen our midfield, which is being really tested at the moment.

Given our respective ladder positions, we'll be expected to win this match, and for that reason, this is a classic danger game. There were plenty of sore bodies last night, and while easy wins are not the best preparation against a team higher than you on the ladder, the Saints will be probably be a little bit fresher.

I think in the end we'll be too strong for the Saints, but we'll need to be switched on - again.

Last edited:

Etthiad is a pretty good ground for us at least so that isn't a negative. Think the hard surface and the roof guarrantee conditions for skilled sides.
I wouldn't be too worried about the Saints win over the Hawks, they clearly aren't the side they've been, but pride got them up for the WC game.
I do think they're a gòod side though, and their mids are threat. I'm with GG in that we need to put together 4 qtrs of football at some point. We've been doing enough to win but a fair way off what the side is capable of. I do think Friday night was probably the worst we've played apart from the Crows game.
Unlike the PF where I think we played to our best and were beaten by a better side.
I hope Nick Haynes is ok and that Cogs makes it back, and there's no let down from a tough game.
I dont know about Toby but it seems likely we'll miss him and Sam Reid. Expe ct Mids playing forwatd like Bam Bam and Taranto to cover them as best they can be covered.
My experience with Saints supporters is their pretty civilised at least so I expect a more pleasant week.
I will be watching on TV though as I cant get time off work to go ( still applying a bit a pressure but not looking good).

Hoping we can keep up with your boys. Good to get a fri night.
:rolleyes:We're over them now
Looking forward to the game though. I think it's a good match up. Interested.to see how Steele goes, I thought he was ordinary in the Geelong game. Missed your Hawks game travelling home, but it seems he played a lot better from comments and stats.
Etthiad's ok for us and obviously for you so heres hoping for a good spectacle and and an injury free contest.

:rolleyes:We're over them now
Looking forward to the game though. I think it's a good match up. Interested.to see how Steele goes, I thought he was ordinary in the Geelong game. Missed your Hawks game travelling home, but it seems he played a lot better from comments and stats.
Etthiad's ok for us and obviously for you so heres hoping for a good spectacle and and an injury free contest.
He played well yesterday. Tackling machine

Yeah he always was. Maybe I just didn't rate the background stuff he was doing. I find it hard to judge on TV anyway.
Has had a limited pre-season coming off injury and is just now working his way into games. Yesterday was his best game for us so far so building nicely.

We've got a lot of injury clouds hovering over; Haynes, Davis, Cogs and Reid. Then there's Greene also who probably will get at least a week

Is this looking like the most probable ins/outs?

Out: Haynes, Reid, Greene
In: Davis, Cogs, Lloyd/Perryman
Wouuldnt mind giving Perryman a run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got a lot of injury clouds hovering over; Haynes, Davis, Cogs and Reid. Then there's Greene also who probably will get at least a week

Is this looking like the most probable ins/outs?

Out: Haynes, Reid, Greene
In: Davis, Cogs, Lloyd/Perryman
I am warming to Lloyd over Perryman at this stage. Mature body, getting plenty of it in the NEAFL and one big stat for me is clearances. Points to good contested work, which we'll need Friday.

I am warming to Lloyd over Perryman at this stage. Mature body, getting plenty of it in the NEAFL and one big stat for me is clearances. Points to good contested work, which we'll need Friday.
Looks a little slow to me. We need speed

Can't wait til Friday. Etihad would normally be advantage us but the way you move the ball negates that.

If the game is even close to your game against the bulldogs i can't wait to see it :)
Is the 20k people are saying on the mainboard serious?
We have a history of not drawing in Melbourne but I thought Friday night would get people out.

Certainly a danger game for us, St Kilda are a good rebounding team, and with a few outs GWS will be a bit disrupted - but a good opportunity to see whether we can cope with adversity. The Saints mids are rising, so will be a cracker battle in the contest. I'd definitely like to see Cogs back in, but only if his fitness is up to it. If it's Haynes, Reid & Greene out, I'd think (early thoughts) that Davis, HH & Cogs might be the ins.

Dude. What have we said about the main board?

They are delusional nutters with mummy issues.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
I'm trying to get an estimate, figured a Saints supporter might have a realustic idea. It's their home ground.
Truth be known I think I'm trying to talk myself into going, and a small crowd kinda non-threatening for my first trip to Etthiad. AO was cool with 43k though, but I have connections there.

I'm trying to get an estimate, figured a Saints supporter might have a realustic idea. It's their home ground.
Truth be known I think I'm trying to talk myself into going, and a small crowd kinda non-threatening for my first trip to Etthiad. AO was cool with 43k though, but I have connections there.

Saints fans are rarely rabid, haven't had anything to be cocky about for many years and with the normal amount of statistical exceptions love the game.
The Animal Enclosure is long gone, I'd love to be there but looks like our first Melb trip this year will be the Carlton game

Saints fans are rarely rabid, haven't had anything to be cocky about for many years and with the normal amount of statistical exceptions love the game.
The Animal Enclosure is long gone, I'd love to be there but looks like our first Melb trip this year will be the Carlton game
It wasn't that so much, I find them civilised on BF. Bit like domain in Perth I find the thought of the crush a bit intimidating.
:oops:I actually have a minor crowd phobia.

:D That conflicts directly with my love of live Fòoty and watching the Giants play. For all the Mutts piss me off with disgraceful behaviour, I will be at Etthiad for our return game. This one might be a good preparation and finding my way around. Work negative but I think I can do it at some cost in goodwill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back