Preview Round 7 v GWS Giants. Saturday 1:45pm, GIANTS Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players are already managed through shorter matches. I doubt there will be a huge need to rotate through players.
If we are playing just once a week maybe, but seeing our performance last week off a short break I think it wont be enough. We were clearly sore and tired and didnt run anywhere near our normal levels. If the season is compressed any more than current I suspect not rotating more will be foolish

I considered them but they lost to a pretty flaky GWS team and got smashed Essendon.
And after those losses they made significant changes to their lineup and easily handled both the Hawks and and Cats. Yeah they dropped a couple of games, but the Pies are looking good and getting valuable wins on the board at the moment. Like Fages says, you win or you learn. Looks like they learned a bit.

Below figures courtesy of footywire
This includes the late inclusions of Hill & Hately for Toby Green & Lloyd
Hopefully GWS with 8 under 50 games to our 4 might make a difference in the end
As long as we put in for 4 quarters we should come away with a win i think

Bobby Hill,Jye Caldwell,Tim Taranto,Zac Langdon
IN
-
Callan Ward (Injured),Daniel Lloyd (Managed),Toby Greene (Injured),Tom Green (Omitted)
OUT

GWSAttributeBrisbane
188.0cmHeight188.5cm
87.0kgWeight88.1kg
25yr 5mthAge25yr 9mth
96.6Games107.5
GWSGamesBrisbane
8Less than 504
550 to 996
4100 to 1496
5150 or more6

I'm glad Toby Greene now isn't playing....gives us the edge I think.

Happy Green is out.
He should have missed the final against us and was arguably BOG in that game with 30 disposals 14 contested 2 goals 2 behinds
Reminder
He was referred direct to tribunal
"Match footage of the incident showed Green grabbing at Bontempelli's face and pulling his hair as he lay on the ground and his hands had appeared to come into contact with his opponent's face."

The three-member jury on Monday night took 12 minutes to settle on Greene's penalty after the AFL's legal counsel, Jeff Gleeson QC, recommended a financial sanction was appropriate.
Toby Greene was fined $7,500 after pleading guilty to a serious misconduct charge
Greene said he was "extremely apologetic" for his actions when he fronted the tribunal
He has now been charged 17 times by the tribunal and racked up more than $25,000 in fines during his AFL career

So two of their best players that night are missing Green & Williams
Revenge will be sweet i hope

If we are playing just once a week maybe, but seeing our performance last week off a short break I think it wont be enough. We were clearly sore and tired and didnt run anywhere near our normal levels. If the season is compressed any more than current I suspect not rotating more will be foolish
So here we are again.. another week and again no changes.
As much as I love Fagan and what he's done for our club, I fear this ultra-conservative approach by him and the match committee to keep sticking with the same squad week-in-week-out is also quite risky and may come back to bite us:
1) As evident last week from the condensed season, players will tire.
2) It becomes easier for other teams to plan against us when we always choose the same side with (almost) no position changes (i.e. TOO PREDICTABLE)
3) Talented players in the rest of the squad will eventually get frustrated at lack of opportunities at the club- will either start looking elsewhere or not achieve to their potential, especially when certain players are gifted games each week when they really only perform once every 3 or 4 games.

When I say conservative approach, not just in terms of player selections, but also responding within a game when things not going to plan - there was no "Plan B" when the cats were getting on top last week- I hardly recall any major changes during the game.. e.g. move McStay to backline, get McCarthy to another position to have an impact, etc. etc. Same when we lost to the hawks in round 1 - no answers on the day. What if richmond, western bulldogs etc. were to get on top during a game?

Do we want to just win all our games at home and maybe snatch a couple more, or do we actually want to be a serious challenger this year???

So here we are again.. another week and again no changes.
As much as I love Fagan and what he's done for our club, I fear this ultra-conservative approach by him and the match committee to keep sticking with the same squad week-in-week-out is also quite risky and may come back to bite us:
1) As evident last week from the condensed season, players will tire.
2) It becomes easier for other teams to plan against us when we always choose the same side with (almost) no position changes (i.e. TOO PREDICTABLE)
3) Talented players in the rest of the squad will eventually get frustrated at lack of opportunities at the club- will either start looking elsewhere or not achieve to their potential, especially when certain players are gifted games each week when they really only perform once every 3 or 4 games.

When I say conservative approach, not just in terms of player selections, but also responding within a game when things not going to plan - there was no "Plan B" when the cats were getting on top last week- I hardly recall any major changes during the game.. e.g. move McStay to backline, get McCarthy to another position to have an impact, etc. etc. Same when we lost to the hawks in round 1 - no answers on the day. What if richmond, western bulldogs etc. were to get on top during a game?

Do we want to just win all our games at home and maybe snatch a couple more, or do we actually want to be a serious challenger this year???
I’m sure we have capable depth players ready to come in when our players get tired. We’re only like 7 (?) games in and we’re coming off a 9-day break?

I don’t think it becomes any easier for the opposition because they still have to beat them on the day. Our players have won more important matchups/contests than lost.

This happens at every club. I don’t think anyone gets gifted games when you finish 2nd on the ladder in 2019 and are currently top four. You could argue Rayner last season, but we were in such a good position that we could afford to let him play through poor form. We all know his upside and x factor is the reason why he wasn’t dropped.

I could be wrong, but our Plan B doesnt involve drastic positional changes. I assume they are just small in-game changes that only the coaches would understand. The Port Adelaide game was a pretty good example of the midfield coaches changing things up. Whatever they did seemed to work.

Honestly, when other teams get on top of us, I feel as though it’s all because of our own faults like poor conversion in front of goal. We’re not the best team at wrestling back momentum, so hopefully we can grow in that area. We messed around with it early against the Hawks and never got our Plan A going - let alone anything else.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FOR VICTORIAN PLEDGE MEMBERS

Due to the current STAGE 3 RESTRICTIONS in Victoria and a spate of panic buying in Lower Templestowe which has led to a shortage of Tina Wafers,
The Brisbane Lions Football Club regrets that there will be no seats available on the couch at 3KZ is Football's mum's place to watch the GWS game on Foxtel.

The Brisbane Lions Football Club remains as committed as ever to the wallets of Victorian members and supporters and we are currently implementing a plan where Victorian Pledge members will be posted a Crystal Radio Set Kit (solder and soldering iron sold separately via the Lions Website) and three individually wrapped Tina Wafers, prior to our next scheduled game. Terms, Conditions and some Exclusions apply . See Lions Website for details.

love your work - makes me laugh every time. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back