Preview Round 7 vs Carltank

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but what kid isn't overhyped when they're producing significant contributions in their first year? I mean, that's the context with which he is being hyped, and it's justified so far imo. Tracking as well as Stephenson was last year, and is the better all round footballer imo.
Serious question
Who was the last first year north player to be overhyped in first year ?

So, it turns out we have no-one in the top 65 of tackles. 65.

Anyhoo, Hall has rightfully been dropped as he's symptomatic of our lack of defensive pressure, apparently.

For some ironic lols, I present to you our #1 tackler:

View attachment 666842

Don't even get me started on LDU and his omission in the current scheme of things (bigger picture be damned).

I like the ins but it's sooooo ******* hard to be positive about it amidst the self serving rubbish being dished up at selection.

Yeah I'll be there as usual on Sunday but FMD, so unbelievably flat.

So disenchanted.
We do have the #1 tackler in the vfl comp though, not that that seems to matter.

Thanks Snake. Amazing we have had both boys all these years and it’s only 9 games. These two are the ones along with Jacobs that I feel if were 100% in the last 4 years would have resulted in at least 1 top 4 finish.

Both have had a hellish run, and both have plenty of talent.

I reckon they both complement each other very well as players.

The centre line and followers (in 'old speak') or starting midfield six are close to what I'd have wanted from the outset, with Froggy on his wing, Polec on his, with Cunnington, Higgins and Anderson. It would be good if Jacobs was available and, of course, we'd all like to see Ahern and LDU get more opportunities, but if the above perform as they should, it's hardly a midfield to complain about. Looking forward to seeing if Simpkin's stint in the VFL has helped his confidence and to seeing Cam spend a bit of time in the middle too, albeit as a ruckman.

Last edited:
But we were told the 7 day break was really going to help us!!

Fair point. I meant a break more in the sense of going back to the learning centre so that he can focus on some things that will help him in the long run. I don’t believe that LDU is tired.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Convinced the match committee doesn’t have a brain between them.

LDU out? FFS Now we are going to start sacrificing development...give me a ******* spell.

Simpkin will struggle to get more than ten possessions and Garner will struggle to run out a half.

We are a ******* basket case.
Larkey, Thomas, Zurhaar and Simpkin are getting development this week.

Remember at the start of the year when we said we've got depth now and one implication was that players were going to be stiff not to be in the side each week?

While I'd have given Jy another week in the VFL, and probably kept LDU in, it's hardly basket case stuff, surely?

In fact, keeping in Larkey should be applauded (vs bringing in Campbell). We've all liked Zurhaar's mongrel. We like Thomas and would be happy he's been retained.

I'd just like Murphy for LMac in due course myself, and yes I'd like to see Ahern and LDU keep getting opportunities. I just don't think they'll be week-in, week-out. (Or rather, they will be week-in, week-out. ;) )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton Attribute North Melbourne
188.4cm Height 188.6cm
86.3kg Weight 88.1kg
23yr 9mth Age 26yr 0mth
68.1 Games 108.7

A material advantage in age and games played for the Kangas this week.

Very rare you will see a team on average more than 2 years older than their opponents which is the case this week based on the 22 selected.

giphy.gif

Enforcing standards is meaningless if not done with an egalitarian hand.

He's doubling down on double standards. I'm no mathematician, but I believe that makes stuff roughly four times worse.

I haven't been posting much of late. The whole Angstapalooza thing just isn't really my scene. I totally understand it and share many of the same grievances, but I like to leave the complaining to those who are more adept at it.

So while Brad has been caned on here from pillar to post, I've largely stayed out of it. His projectile vomit-inducing pressers aside, the truth is that I'm not quite as critical of our coach as the majority of Bigfooty folks. It's not that I don't see his obvious flaws, it's just that I feel some posters are going a bit too all-in on their 'Brad is to blame' calls. I believe our problems run a little deeper than that and some of the blame lies elsewhere.

Saying all that, now that Brad has clearly entered the 'Howard Hughes phase' of his tenure at North, and the team is currently resembling a big 'ol excrement show, I'm officially ****ing over this crap. He's killing my Zen.

Dropping UDL and Hall is just ****ing lame and stupid. Ahern twiddling his thumbs in the 2's, likewise. And spare me the 'setting standards' spiel. I'm absolutely behind the notion in principle - soft efforts and soft footballers are a pet hate of mine - but as Hearts and others have said, it's not being applied with any consistency. If our assumptions around the reasons behind player omissions are correct, then it's clear that some guys are being scapegoated for things that other players are getting a free pass on. If the standard was truly across the board, sure, go hogwild and drop the living crap out of them. But as it stands all we're doing is sending a confusing, half-arsed message, while robbing the team of two of its more creative players. Two guys who take the game on, in a vanilla, over-coached side crying out for a little flare/dare.

Also, as an aside....given his tackle stats, shirley Hall has a few defensive credits in the bank. Particularly given Brad's insistence on having him play 'outside'. And if the guy is really as soft as some people on this forum would have you believe, what kind of ****ed up indictment is that on those that trail behind him in that area? Yes, some of his efforts last week were lacklustre and disappointing, but chuck in him hitting the scoreboard and his game was by no means a bust. I would also argue that overt softness hasn't been a clearly discernible Hall-mark of his games at North to date. To me, his omission is a knee-jerk (over-)reaction. Further evidence that Brad isn't currently functioning at his optimum level. (Or worse, maybe he is.)

Tl;dr?

No one puts the SS Hall in a corner in dry-dock. Go consume a phallus, Brad.

Lol. Et tu Brute! Brad is a lonely man now. He’s lost “the sensible centre”. His house is officially caving in. Only DR can save him now... or North win the next 10.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I scoffed, rolled my eyes, then came here to see if there was any clarification as to why he was out. Upon seeing 'omitted' I have to admit I had a chuckle.

Even if he's being soft, you don't take a talent like that out of the squad at this stage of his career. Rules for one lot of blokes and not the other. I think Wright has been the only 'lock' to be omitted this year. The rest have been traded players (kudos on that, recruiters), kids, or the players on our list who have never been locked into the squad.

The amount of faith I have left in the club is dwindling fast.
Noticing your posts mate, I'm surprised to hear you have any faith left to dwindle.

Regarding rules for one lot of blokes and not the other, surely that's why LDU is omitted, in light of Harris 10's comments. Soft play not okay.

...we had to apply the process of elimination to work out LDU was out.

Perhaps LDU is out "managed"? If that was the case, then wouldn't it be sensible to mention that in the article to alleviate some of the angst? Or maybe just give some explanation of the thought process behind the changes? It's "No, we make our decisions and we don't need to explain them to anyone" (which is at odds against the recent claim about welcoming accountability ...)

They truly no longer give a f*** about the members and supporters. We're clearly not worth anything more than perfunctory communication.
Has the club ever, as a matter of standard practice, given us reasons for omissions? I don't recall it being the case.

While I can imagine we don't want to air dirty laundry, I agree with the sentiment. It would be good to hear more.

Is it controversial to state that I thought Luke McDonald had a great game last week? I don’t remember ever seeing Robbie Gray so anonymous. Added to that, Luke was carrying a niggle for a lot of the game.
It pains me to say it, but he did okay.

Kimbo is to Luke, what NM Board is to Brad. I want to see him fail and gone. I hate that he was playing to win, thus saving his skin. Doesn't he know he was meant to roll over and make me happy?

Obviously, I have no problem with Garner being back, but am I right in thinking that he had ~10 possessions last week in the VFL, and Ahern had 30+?

If so, it's just typical Brad. Go with the player who can pessure and harass and who's a bit tough, but can't find the pill, rather than the guy who might not be as good at the defensive and pressure side, but who finds it and is class as **** when he uses it. Somewhere somehow the aim of the game under Brad got lost.
There again, if we have someone other than Turner doing it, and it results in keeping the ball in the 50, or preventing the opposition from clearing the ball with ease (often leading to devastating whole of field plays) then there is some rhyme to it.

giphy.gif

Enforcing standards is meaningless if not done with an egalitarian hand.

He's doubling down on double standards. I'm no mathematician, but I believe that makes stuff roughly four times worse.

I haven't been posting much of late. The whole Angstapalooza thing just isn't really my scene. I totally understand it and share many of the same grievances, but I like to leave the complaining to those who are more adept at it.

So while Brad has been caned on here from pillar to post, I've largely stayed out of it. His projectile vomit-inducing pressers aside, the truth is that I'm not quite as critical of our coach as the majority of Bigfooty folks. It's not that I don't see his obvious flaws, it's just that I feel some posters are going a bit too all-in on their 'Brad is to blame' calls. I believe our problems run a little deeper than that and some of the blame lies elsewhere.

Saying all that, now that Brad has clearly entered the 'Howard Hughes phase' of his tenure at North, and the team is currently resembling a big 'ol excrement show, I'm officially ****ing over this crap. He's killing my Zen.

Dropping UDL and Hall is just ****ing lame and stupid. Ahern twiddling his thumbs in the 2's, likewise. And spare me the 'setting standards' spiel. I'm absolutely behind the notion in principle - soft efforts and soft footballers are a pet hate of mine - but as Hearts and others have said, it's not being applied with any consistency. If our assumptions around the reasons behind player omissions are correct, then it's clear that some guys are being scapegoated for things that other players are getting a free pass on. If the standard was truly across the board, sure, go hogwild and drop the living crap out of them. But as it stands all we're doing is sending a confusing, half-arsed message, while robbing the team of two of its more creative players. Two guys who take the game on, in a vanilla, over-coached side crying out for a little flare/dare.

Also, as an aside....given his tackle stats, shirley Hall has a few defensive credits in the bank. Particularly given Brad's insistence on having him play 'outside'. And if the guy is really as soft as some people on this forum would have you believe, what kind of ****ed up indictment is that on those that trail behind him in that area? Yes, some of his efforts last week were lacklustre and disappointing, but chuck in him hitting the scoreboard and his game was by no means a bust. I would also argue that overt softness hasn't been a clearly discernible Hall-mark of his games at North to date. To me, his omission is a knee-jerk (over-)reaction. Further evidence that Brad isn't currently functioning at his optimum level. (Or worse, maybe he is.)

Tl;dr?

No one puts the SS Hall in a corner in dry-dock. Go consume a phallus, Brad.

Awesome Deano.

His inconsistent application is what dives me mad the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back