Review Round 7 vs Collingwood @ MCG (01.05.21 - 1:45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Goldcoast-vs-Coll.png

2021 AFL Season
Round 7
Gold Coast FC vs Collingwood
Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne
May 1st 2021 - 1:45pm Australian Eastern Standard Time

lets go​

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can't help but ponder how good we can be with a recognised ruckman in this one. Collingwood are seriously struggling at the moment but we can't underestimate the Grundy-Cox combination. Bringing Zac Smith is absolutely required for this fixture.

I don't think we've ever beaten Collingwood at the MCG. Is that correct? Does anyone know the answer to that?

Also, Big Red Machine I think the date is wrong in the title.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I can't help but ponder how good we can be with a recognised ruckman in this one. Collingwood are seriously struggling at the moment but we can't underestimate the Grundy-Cox combination. Bringing Zac Smith is absolutely required for this fixture.

I don't think we've ever beaten Collingwood at the MCG. Is that correct? Does anyone know the answer to that?

We've only ever beaten Collingwood once? Maybe twice? Definitely both at home if so.

We barely play at the MCG. It'll be good for the young guys to get there and experience it.

Interesting to see how we go when bringing in Smith. When we have no recognised ruckman the mids know we're going to likely lose the hitout and rove to the opposition. Now that dynamic changes.

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We've only ever beaten Collingwood once? Maybe twice? Definitely both at home if so.

We barely play at the MCG. It'll be good for the young guys to get there and experience it.

Interesting to see how we go when bringing in Smith. When we have no recognised ruckman the mids know we're going to likely lose the hitout and rove to the opposition. Now that dynamic changes.
Fair to assume we will still be roving grundys taps, with or without smith

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I also want to point out for those saying our season was dead after last week's loss that we're currently one win behind 6th and if the Demons continue on the merry way by beating Richmond tonight then we are guaranteed to be just one win behind 8th place at the end of this round.

We are very much alive this season and have two winnable games coming up against the struggling Pies and Saints!

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Imagine if we beat the Pies and St Kilda. 4-4 heading into a massive Q-Clash.
Outside of the first half of the 2014 season, I think optimism would be at an all-time high if that happened! That might sound bad but people were really writing us off last week so getting to 4-4 and a likely position in the top 8 would be an extreme turnaround of a season.

Beyond the Brisbane game, we have Geelong, Hawthorn and Fremantle. A few of those games are probably winnable as well! Especially considering we'll likely have Matty Rowell and Elijah Hollands back by then.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Outside of the first half of the 2014 season, I think optimism would be at an all-time high if that happened! That might sound bad but people were really writing us off last week so getting to 4-4 and a likely position in the top 8 would be an extreme turnaround of a season.

Beyond the Brisbane game, we have Geelong, Hawthorn and Fremantle. A few of those games are probably winnable as well! Especially considering we'll likely have Matty Rowell and Elijah Hollands back by then.
The Q Clash will be interesting.. what Brisbane shows up AND what Gold Coast shows up?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No it’s not. Doesn’t fit my definition.
At 2W 4L it continues to be development and refinement of the list, maturity to apply themselves week to week and game plan.
When you start a season 1-4, I'd say every week is a MINI GF until you get back on an equal ledger. Luckily for us we have two winnable games coming up and are only two wins off an equal ledger. Next two weeks are MINI GFs for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
When you start a season 1-4, I'd say every week is a MINI GF until you get back on an equal ledger. Luckily for us we have two winnable games coming up and are only two wins off an equal ledger. Next two weeks are MINI GFs for mine.

I do believe I’m the mini GF gatekeeper on both Suns/Titans forums.
I called for the Titans the Newcastle and Souths games Mini GFs so they are 1-1 currently.
Ive only declared our Carlton game so far a Mini GF.
Im looking to see what effort physically we bring to the Pies next week.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
No it’s not. Doesn’t fit my definition.
At 2W 4L it continues to be development and refinement of the list, maturity to apply themselves week to week and game plan.
Tounge firmly planted in cheek.

Just fyi

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I also want to point out for those saying our season was dead after last week's loss

I don’t think we were saying dead but what had been dished up had to be questioned.. now yesterday’s win and game style was great and hopefully see it more but let’s put it in to perspective we have seen dew out coach Longmire a few times now let’s see him do it to others before we blow the lid off

Feels like if Moore keeps playing forward, Cox won't play. He isn't even playing today on Anzac Day. Also, he tripped someone in the VFL so, who knows whether he might even get a week.
You'd just have to deal with Grundy/Cameron more likely.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I do believe I’m the mini GF gatekeeper on both Suns/Titans forums.
I called for the Titans the Newcastle and Souths games Mini GFs so they are 1-1 currently.
Ive only declared our Carlton game so far a Mini GF.
Im looking to see what effort physically we bring to the Pies next week.
Lol okay mate. Not really sure how you can suggest a match at 1-2 is a Mini GF but a match at 2-4 isn't but whatever.

IMO this Collingwood match is as crucial as it comes to keeping our season alive and would be a big statement to get a pivotal away win over a big club at the home of football. We get a win in this one and suddenly we could be inside the top 8/equal 8th! I believe we've only been in that position once in our history and that was in 2014 when everything seemed to click in the first 8 or so games of the season.

I don’t think we were saying dead but what had been dished up had to be questioned.. now yesterday’s win and game style was great and hopefully see it more but let’s put it in to perspective we have seen dew out coach Longmire a few times now let’s see him do it to others before we blow the lid off
I seem to recall you very sarcastically writing that our player development was going well and we were a chance for finals this year during the first half of the Bulldogs game after I tried to find some positives when I saw Luko's "dangerous" kicking through the corridor. I also remember Bods writing that since we were 1-4 it was time to go into ultra development mode by blooding more kids and only targeting potential wins against cellar dweller teams like North. I think it's very misleading to suggest neither you or Bods thought our season was done and dusted last week.

However, I do agree that our performance against Collingwood at the MCG next week will give us a good read on where we're truly at in terms of development/finals chances.

Feels like if Moore keeps playing forward, Cox won't play. He isn't even playing today on Anzac Day. Also, he tripped someone in the VFL so, who knows whether he might even get a week.
You'd just have to deal with Grundy/Cameron more likely.
Not having to deal with Cox is probably a good outcome for our undersized defence/ruck stocks.

Grundy probably wins the hitouts regardless of whether Zac Smith does or doesn't play but I'd certainly feel more comfortable having Smith out there instead of Graham.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I still think we should be in a development mode at the moment and see if there is another Farrar or two not playing first grade.
Also the emphasis needs to be on reproduction of effort rather than results.

Yesterday has changed nothing for me. I’m pretty sure that’s what Dew did too and we got a win.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
L

I seem to recall you very sarcastically writing that our player development was going well and we were a chance for finals this year during the first half of the Bulldogs game after I tried to find some positives when I saw Luko's "dangerous" kicking through the corridor. I also remember Bods writing that since we were 1-4 it was time to go into ultra development mode by blooding more kids and only targeting potential wins against cellar dweller teams like North. I think it's very misleading to suggest neither you or Bods thought our season was done and dusted last week.

Sorry you never mentioned lukosius looking dangerous you said the boys looked dangerous in the 3rd quarter taking the game on and then to your other reply I said so much improvement since our inception definitely pushing for finals soon nothing about player development.. but still even you have to admit that the same issues in suns2 as you like to call them have been there right from the start

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The best thing for development is wins. It's plain and simple, players get confidence from wins and get more confident in their abilities and away you go. We need to try and win every game no excuses
100%. We also need wins to keep our best talent. The likes of Luko, King and Rankine aren't going to stick around for several years of development. They leave and we're back to square one AGAIN.

Sorry you never mentioned lukosius looking dangerous you said the boys looked dangerous in the 3rd quarter taking the game on and then to your other reply I said so much improvement since our inception definitely pushing for finals soon nothing about player development.. but still even you have to admit that the same issues in suns2 as you like to call them have been there right from the start
My actual explanation of "dangerous" was "Taking the game on. Kicking through the corridor and actually completing the kicks instead of turning it over."

Who was doing that during the Bulldogs game? I'll give you a hint, his name starts with Jack and ends with Lukosius.

Inconsistency has always been a problem for us but judging us harshly against the best team in the AFL is foolish. We were never a chance to win that game even if we had Witts, Rowell, Hollands etc. We all know we're not top 4 material in 2021.

Last edited:

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Inconsistency has always been a problem for us but judging us harshly against the best team in the AFL is foolish. We were never a chance to win that game even if we had Witts, Rowell, Hollands etc. We all know we're not top 4 material in 2021.

If you continually do the same things year after year then harsh judgement is acceptable.. continued excuses for the same things year after year is foolish

You can cherry pick good moments out of anything but sometimes people need to be held accountable for their actions otherwise the coaches this week wouldn’t have had a good look at themselves and Neil Craig wouldn’t have spent the week there

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If you continually do the same things year after year then harsh judgement is acceptable.. continued excuses for the same things year after year is foolish

You can cherry pick good moments out of anything but sometimes people need to be held accountable for their actions otherwise the coaches this week wouldn’t have had a good look at themselves and Neil Craig wouldn’t have spent the week there
Except that was the first time we got belted this year and looked really insipid for three quarters. In every other game we've played this year we've either been very competitive for most of the game and ahead in the fourth quarter or behind by less than a goal against Carlton going into the fourth term. To say that the Bulldogs performance was a fair reflection of how the rest of our games have gone this year is simply not true. One bad game out of six this year and even then we saw a lot of positive signs in the third quarter against the best team in the league. Judge us harshly if we perform like that against a mid ladder team like Collingwood but I feel it's unwarranted against the real heavyweights like the Dogs and Demons. In terms of being held accountable, the media gave our club a fair whack during the week and you saw the end result yesterday so I feel you're wrong in that regard also. We performed poorly, got whacked and then put together probably one of the best performances in our club history against a team that was 3rd on the ladder going into the match.

If you can't see that this year has been different in terms of competitiveness then there's really no point in us having this discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back