Autopsy Round 7 vs Collingwood @ MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

when Anderson isn't just blind dump kicking he is rapidly approach elite with his decision making and skills. Even in close, his hands are great. Just needs to be that player more often, which will come with experience.

The extra games between he and Rowell are really starting to stand out IMO. He looks like he's been in the system for a year longer.

Overall I thought our mids were okay, but they were zoned really poorly to allow such quick transition on the opponents. Agree with above, that seems like a game plan problem.

Rankine is becoming a genuine concern. A bit perplexed with what to do with him.

Been an incredibly frustrating game to watch, but there were some highlights. Amoung them, Anderson played his best game I think. Casboult trying his best. Chol getting better. Ainsworth still in career best form. I liked Ellis down back when he was moved there.

Just the mistakes and turnovers and are inability to defend inside 50 is atrocious. We're actually scoring for the first time ever, but it's seemingly come at a significant cost to defend.

Strange selections given the guys we have out of form. Correct those and some of the iffy umpiring calls and we're winning this game. Maybe that's what is so frustrating. It feels like we're close, but it's just not completely clicking.

Coaching problem? Maybe. Hard to defend Dew now with our upcoming stretch.
Behave.
His disposal was terrible, decision making even worse. He isn't a mid as He.Is.just.Too.Slow.
He has one of the highest turnover % in the entire comp, and 50% of handballs leave his team-mates in a world of pain from an instant tackle.

The boy is a winger. Up and down, up and down rinse repeat, and with inly one direction open to him to kick to.

Anyway....

Rowell, Witts and Levi played their hearts out.

The rest - played when they wanted too.

Our fans were great - not sure why there were 3 lunatics in Crows tops, but hey-ho.

I can't see how Dew continues after this start to the season.

Dropping Markov on the wide expansion of the G and bringing in McPherson WOW
Yeah but the experience of Macphersons 6 touches and 2 tackles is invaluable.

I don’t think I have ever been as off the coaching staff as I was today.

We rely so much on our backline to generate any sort of drive or speed because the team is full of plodders who just hack it forward. This means we just get opened up on the counter. None of our players can hold their width, because they are all inside mids fighting for the ball, once again causing us to get opened up when we lose the ball. Just a mess of players running around willing the ball forward with no real direction.

when Anderson isn't just blind dump kicking he is rapidly approach elite with his decision making and skills. Even in close, his hands are great. Just needs to be that player more often, which will come with experience.

The extra games between he and Rowell are really starting to stand out IMO. He looks like he's been in the system for a year longer.

Overall I thought our mids were okay, but they were zoned really poorly to allow such quick transition on the opponents. Agree with above, that seems like a game plan problem.

Rankine is becoming a genuine concern. A bit perplexed with what to do with him.
Rankine needs to go to the backline

Rankine needs to go to the backline
He doesn’t work hard enough, he will be a liability there as well. I can’t seem becoming anything like the talent he was a junior until he’s held accountable, Dewwon’t do that as he’s too busy relationship building with millennial‘s instead of doing them a favour and telling them the truth

He doesn’t work hard enough, he will be a liability there as well. I can’t seem becoming anything like the talent he was a junior until he’s held accountable, Dewwon’t do that as he’s too busy relationship building with millennial‘s instead of doing them a favour and telling them the truth
Dew was quick to defend Izak when questioned about him in last week's press conference and then Rankine rewards that protection with a performance like that... Eventually you have to have the tough conversations and Rankine clearly isn't being held accountable for his efforts. I really liked what I saw from Izak in the preseason and especially in round 1 but ever since he got hurt he's been fairly quiet when we've really needed him.

On a brighter note, Touk out in a five star performance on the hallowed turf of the MCG. If we could just get another one or two guys to play as well as Touk then we'd be winning these games. Another positive is that we kicked considerably straight today 14.6. I know some of those behinds were really gettable but that's a lot better than the 11.14 we kicked last week.

I would try rankine on a wing. We are playing him in a real impact sort of position and need good defensive pressure from that spot also. He just seems to be cruising a bit. He is a player that we need to be getting the ball as often as possible because he actually sees the game and uses it way better than most.

Yeah but the experience of Macphersons 6 touches and 2 tackles is invaluable.

I don’t think I have ever been as off the coaching staff as I was today.

We rely so much on our backline to generate any sort of drive or speed because the team is full of plodders who just hack it forward. This means we just get opened up on the counter. None of our players can hold their width, because they are all inside mids fighting for the ball, once again causing us to get opened up when we lose the ball. Just a mess of players running around willing the ball forward with no real direction.
The backline is in horrific form other than Collins who for him was less secure than normal today. Buderick back too early, Lemmens unsighted, Ballard a shadow of his last season's form, Weller just awful. Farrah was OK but only just. Markov should have played for sure and no-one's saying much about Ellis - he's way off top form and probably needs to stay down back for a while. Rowell needs to be freed up and allowed to do some outside work and not just the inside stuff (which he's good at). Swallow is not a defender and not sure where he sits these days. Too slow for mid but maybe give him Rowell's job and let the younger body do a bit of both. McPherson - he's this week's Caleb Graham. How do they keep giving these people games? I went to the VFL today and if Constable, Tsitas, Flanders and Hollands aren't worth a punt right now, I give up. Sharp needs to be given a few weeks and not in and out. Same with Markov. Bowes maybe but could be too early just like Budders? Rosas and Rankine didn't worry anybody except for an occasional flash - both need to contribute much more....but most of all, we need a new coach! The Game Plan is abysmal except when everything clicks for 5 minutes or so - and then it collapses like the proverbial House of Cards. We're too soft and have been for years. I'm over the nice boys, community strong attitude and so tired of other 'developing' teams leaving us behind in the aggression and desire for the hard ball. Ginnivan might be a smart arsed prick but he'd be in my team any day rather than some of our 'nice' boys. Casboult and Chol both performed well but too reliant on them all game. Fiorini??? ...that's enough - I could go on but need a rest.

I would try rankine on a wing. We are playing him in a real impact sort of position and need good defensive pressure from that spot also. He just seems to be cruising a bit. He is a player that we need to be getting the ball as often as possible because he actually sees the game and uses it way better than most.
Imagine his lack of 2 way running on the wing.. jesus

thought today Lemmens played the best he's done all season, actually. Hit some risky kicks when they needed to be hit and kept JDG quiet. Granted there are some stuff-ups, but that's him. He's always going to be a limited player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw Dew and the boys at the airport. Dew looked really upset. I feel this game was very important. I don't really get how we're so 'in' the game but just couldn't put it together. My suns heart was a bit broken today coz I thought we could have won.

Felt it was closer than the scoreboard showed. Collingwood scored so quickly though- that is soemthing we need to be able to do

The thing is we aren't actually too far away, but I am not seeing it in the coaching that we are able to take that leap to a comfortable mid table team and on. Seems like everything has to go our way for us to get a W. I think if we were able to update and improve the coaching, that will lead to some more wins.

We scored 90 points and our goal kicking was a lot better this week, but our defense was awful. The fact that they were able to score from 58% of entries was a big worry. Powell seems like he is a massive loss back there.

We just can't seem to get everyone firing at once.

Sydney have also let Brisbane kick 100 points and they are a lot better than us.

Swans next week

The Dew press conference again lamenting playing catch up footy
I couldn't believe he actually said"We won the second quarter":rolleyes:
FFS if that's a positive then I'm Buddy Franklin because I kicked 6 goals in a game once
5-2
Same old story for us -crisis time
Players will be under pressure
Club is under pressure
Coaching staff under pressure
Which means it's unlikely we'll see our best
The rub of the green is long overdue

The thing is we aren't actually too far away, but I am not seeing it in the coaching that we are able to take that leap to a comfortable mid table team and on. Seems like everything has to go our way for us to get a W. I think if we were able to update and improve the coaching, that will lead to some more wins.

We scored 90 points and our goal kicking was a lot better this week, but our defense was awful. The fact that they were able to score from 58% of entries was a big worry. Powell seems like he is a massive loss back there.

We just can't seem to get everyone firing at once.
This year we've had a rather large change in the coaching. The addition of Steven King as Senior assistant and Brad Miller as forwards coach.

Even Jackson Kornberg as reserves coach. That's both an update and an improvement but it still feels like nothing has changed.

We are scoring better and I agree that everyone does need to fire at the same time. We have the ability to fight back but quite often we are getting an 11 or 12 point turnaround from the forward line. We either kick a point or miss totally and the ball shoots back for a goal at the other end. I don't know what the answer is but something has to change.

We have a recurring problem of poor defensive accountability when we are going forward.
Our backs and mids all rush forward toward our 50 and when we inevitably turn it over, the ball comes out easily as the opposing team have multiple people free due to not being sucked into the contest and working harder forward then we are defensively.
Collins got caught doing it a few times today, which is odd for someone who is usually a rock defensively.

We have a recurring problem of poor defensive accountability when we are going forward.
Our backs and mids all rush forward toward our 50 and when we inevitably turn it over, the ball comes out easily as the opposing team have multiple people free due to not being sucked into the contest and working harder forward then we are defensively.
Collins got caught doing it a few times today, which is odd for someone who is usually a rock defensively.
Collins and Ballard are the only 2 of our backs who'd get looked at in trade period I reckon
One of them was a State league pickup and the other went over 50 in the draft
I love what Lemmo has done over the past few years to re-invent himself but he and Weller are B graders at best-with A grade moments
Budarick was rushed back unfit and Farrar is ok but again B grade (improving) again from State League
It's a little insight into how a guy like Caleb Graham was getting games
It's also concerning when a player like Fyfe who I thought had all the tools for an AFL defender was cut
It's a genetic weakness of all supporters to over rate their team and our backline is waaaaay overrated by most Suns supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back