Senior List
Aug 3, 2007
London
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Three changes this week -

Out: Wood (hamstring), Addison, Austin
In: Tutt, Skinner, Markovich

Grant may come into contention, along with Panos, as I would like to see another tall against North Melbourne. My Ins are subject to Williamstown performances,but would love to see Tutt inforspeed and disposal, while Skinner to be injected for some excitement.

Three changes this week -

Out: Wood (hamstring), Addison, Austin
In: Tutt, Skinner, Markovich

Grant may come into contention, along with Panos, as I would like to see another tall against North Melbourne. My Ins are subject to Williamstown performances,but would love to see Tutt inforspeed and disposal, while Skinner to be injected for some excitement.

I've never been a huge Addison fan, but I'm not sure people are considering his role in the team with continually suggesting he be dropped. Yes, he doesn't get much of the ball and yes his turnover in Q4 was important, but so often last night his tackling, chasing and spoiling was first rate. I would be very surprised to see him dropped as he does all the things Macca has talked about as being the most important.

Outs: Wood (hammy), Austin (just looks a bit timid with the ball in hand),

Ins: Panos/Hill (Hill if not injured), Tutt

B Addison Lake Hargrave
HB Murphy Jones Vezspremi
C Tutt Griffin Cross
HF Libba Roughead Dahlhaus
F Gia Panos / Hill Sherman
Foll Minson Boyd Picken
Inter Cooney Wallis Higgins
Sub: Djekkura

I'd also like to see Jones play CHB for a few weeks. I would love to see Hill or Panos come in and Tutt also. Austin will have to be dropped for mine, Veszpremi goes forward and possibly Markovic comes in.

Like someone said in another thread, I wouldn't mind seeing the same team play next week and have Markovic in for Wood. Rotating the players so Austin plays as the 3rd tall (which was his role at Carlton I believe) and Hargrave played as a sweeping/rebounding defender in place of Wood.

I thought Austin had a terrible 1st quarter, but as the game wore on he got a lot better and ended up competing well. Playing him regularly this season will only be of benefit. He will either step up to the challenge and become consistent, or he will fail. The only way to know is to persevere for a while. Better off doing it this year while re-jigging things than doing nothing with him and trying him out again when the team is already settled. He has only played a handful of games at senior level, so people need to taper their expectations of these guys a little. You only need to look at Easton Wood to see how a little pereverence goes a long way.

Jones to CHB definitely worth a try. He is a good mark, has enough pace and size and has more of the option of spoiling when playing in defence. He is not a great kick and this really hurts when playing forward. Could be a very good key defender. At the moment I can not see him becoming a top forward.
Panos and Hill, both good kicks should be given a try at full forward and centre half forward and Veszpremi should play a small forward role as he is a great kick.
Don't know what to do about Grant, his kicking is terrible and this is deadly in today's game.
Cordy and Roughead are both essentially developing ruckmen with forward roles, but I don't see either as long term effective full forwards or centre half forwards.

Jones is a forward, being developed as a forward and needs to play as a forward. Leave him be, as was shown with Easton good things will come. He is young and gets the best of the defenders every week. I thought he competed well (better than both Cloke and Dawes). Finishing skills will come with confidence which will come with time.

Hill is not playing today so I dare say will be a few weeks away from a debut. Panos would be the next bet to have a crack I'd imagine.

Given the talls at North Melbourne, marko may come straight back in. Could even have a look at Talia or Mulligan.

Have to see what Williamstown thorws up today.

Could even have a look at Talia or Mulligan.

thumbnail.aspx

Chris Grant went to CHB in 2006 and was 1 vote off the brownlow, was already a champion, but helped his game after that.

Chris Grant went to CHB in 2006 and was 1 vote off the brownlow, was already a champion, but helped his game after that.

Grant was an established star forward by then who had leaned his trade in the shadow of Galaxy Colman with Del Re, Campbell and occasionally Foster around him. His time in the backline made him a better forward and player. Jones hasn't learned forward craft yet and doesn't have accomplished tall forwards around him.

In the same way that McCartney is persevering with his traning of the team to play contested, hard footy, which is starting to pay dividends but a long way still to gol, he should fix a forward line structure and plan and stick with it. For mine, it's Jones in the Riewoldt type role and Cordy in Koschitzke type role. Eventually both the game style and forward set up will click.

Ins: Markovic, Hill, if both available.
Outs: Wood (injured), Austin.
Interchange: Sherman, Liberatore, Wallis.
Sub: Djerrkura.
B: Murphy Lake Hargrave
HB: Veszpremi Markovic Addison
C: Cross Boyd Higgins
HF: Cooney Jones Dahlhaus
F: Roughead Hill Giansiracusa
R: Minson, Griffen, Picken.
Emg: Cordy, Grant, Dickson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the time had really come for Easton to have a spell at Willi, just seemed totally devoid of confidence but I'm guessing BMac's show of support in keeping him in rubbed off on him and he repayed the faith.

Thinking along the same lines I wonder whether Howard may come straight in as a like for like. Unsure how much conditioning he would have lost, and normally I wouldn't call for an unproven player to come in after a long layoff however was in the 18 Round 1 so def in the frame. Maybe Marko for Austin, no slur on Austin but Marko is ahead of him.

So my ins and outs are like for like
Out: Austin/Wood
In: Markovic/Howard

I thought the time had really come for Easton to have a spell at Willi, just seemed totally devoid of confidence but I'm guessing BMac's show of support in keeping him in rubbed off on him and he repayed the faith.

Thinking along the same lines I wonder whether Howard may come straight in as a like for like. Unsure how much conditioning he would have lost, and normally I wouldn't call for an unproven player to come in after a long layoff however was in the 18 Round 1 so def in the frame. Maybe Marko for Austin, no slur on Austin but Marko is ahead of him.

So my ins and outs are like for like
Out: Austin/Wood
In: Markovic/Howard

Agree with this. The other thing with Wood/Howard is that there isn't anyone else we have that can do what they do and are AFL ready.

Well... maybe Tutt, but I don't think his form is there at the moment.

IN: Grant, Markovic
OUT: Austin, Wood(inj)

Tutt, Hill and Howard to prove themselves at Willy.

Any chance Tom Hill was rested from Willy to be fresh for a debut against the Roos?

According to a Hawks user in another thread, said that he had a slight niggle and was rested to heal up. Though that could indicate he is close to a call up.

If we play with the same intensity as we did against the Pies, we will beat North.

Dale Morris? Is that bloke serious?? He is weeks away, and will play at least 2-3 games at Willi first. I heard we're going the very safe approach with him, don't wanna get him re-injured!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back