Round 7 Vs Kangaroos - Selector's Table

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones is still leading us for marks inside 50 (closely followed by the three whipping boys Grant, Gia and Higgins :confused::eek:) and contested marks, so it's worth keeping him on the forward line. He does need some support though - possibly Hill?

After listening to Macca on SEN I reckon Grant will be back this week
They obviously gave Grant a week off to deal with a niggling injury. Hopefully he comes out firing and kicks a few.

No love for Cordy this thread? Not much for Grant either. I think both will be very much on the MC radar.

I'm pretty sure Macca said both will be back next week. Wether that means back playing for the WB or back playing in generals another thing. North's talls will trouble us so I think we need some height to counter that.

I agree with that, we were 4 defensive clangers off beating Collingwood.

We have been clangers off winning almost all our games (or at very least poor use and poor shots on goal) . No key forward is 20% of the problem, poor use is 80%.

I think there are a couple of options this week. Wood could be replaced in the side by Austin and Markovic could then play CHB.

Or Grant comes in to play a role in defense. Surely Howard is not an option, he would need a run at Willi?

Didn't look like anyone stuck their hand up big time at Willi this week, so the side will probably stay the same except for Wood. While I want us to play Cords and Roughy as much as possible, I think we are better balanced with just one of them at the moment.

Some have said Jones could go back, and he could he played a lot their at U18 level I think. I actually don't think we need him there, but it wouldn't harm his development. That said I'd stick with him at CHF. If not rest him or drop him back and bring in Hill or Cordy.

In- Grant
Out Wood (inj)

EMERG - Cordy, Dickson, C.Smith

Just on a side note thoughts go out to Jarrad Boumann who after playing Saturday night spent the rest of the night in hospital and all day yesterday. Will have surgery today to have his appendix removed and will probably miss a fair chunk of footy. Wishing him all the best with his recovery.

I think we're a better team with out Grant and am disappointed that we're going to playing him regardless of his form.

I also think Jones should go and clunk a few marks in the VFL. He adds nearly no 'goal' scoring power at the Dogs at moment anyway. I'm happy to persist with him but I think a weeks break now is a good idea. He was an absolute crab on Friday night. He got to every contest possible and then proceeded to make the worst possible moves/decisions when there. Easiest job in the league is playing on Jones at the moment.

In - Tutt, Cordy
Out - Wood, Jones

Yea, Tutt's under done but if he's fit he should be given a crack off the half back line in replace of Wood. Cordy comes in as another tall to play either fwd/back as the Wood, Jones trade off.

(Realistically we know it'll probs just be Grant in for Wood)

can you post a link of the interview?
Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney (Part 1) on SEN1116

Brendan McCartney speaks to Huddo & the boys after a gallant performance from the Dogs last night against the Magpies.

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Western-Bulldogs-coach-Brendan-McCartney-(Part-1)/4519

Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney (Part 2)
Brendan McCartney speaks to Huddo & the boys on Crunchtime after a gallant effort from the Bulldogs last night against the Magpies.sen1116
http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Western-Bulldogs-coach-Brendan-McCartney-(Part-2)/4518

I've never been a huge Addison fan, but I'm not sure people are considering his role in the team with continually suggesting he be dropped. Yes, he doesn't get much of the ball and yes his turnover in Q4 was important, but so often last night his tackling, chasing and spoiling was first rate. I would be very surprised to see him dropped as he does all the things Macca has talked about as being the most important.

Couldn't agree more, he locks down his opponent and attacks the ball and the contest with confidence and ferocity. I think his rebound play has shown signs of growing in confidence in the last two matches also. Both he and Vezspremi are key players going forward, both bring complimentary skills to the side down there. Vez is a beautiful kick and gives drive out of there, taking pressure off Murphy. How many times did Addison read the play to peel off his man and spoil as third man up, and his tackles stick (locks the ball in). Forget his last quarter mishap, he had a few mates, let him grow in confidence and get a consistent role in the team and you'll see some of those rough edges to his game start to round off. His intensity creates pressure and equalises the contest.

out: Wood, Higgins
in: Grant, Dickson.

So Gia's safe this week, but Higgo in the gun. He's in the top 10 in pretty much every key statistical category inlcuding being second for marks inside 50 and is one of the few players that looks likely to kick more than one goal a match? But he still should be dropped.

Depending on fitness, only one change.

In: Markovic
Out: Wood

Wallis and Libba to swap the sub's vest.

Grant was an established star forward by then who had leaned his trade in the shadow of Galaxy Colman with Del Re, Campbell and occasionally Foster around him. His time in the backline made him a better forward and player. Jones hasn't learned forward craft yet and doesn't have accomplished tall forwards around him.

In the same way that McCartney is persevering with his traning of the team to play contested, hard footy, which is starting to pay dividends but a long way still to gol, he should fix a forward line structure and plan and stick with it. For mine, it's Jones in the Riewoldt type role and Cordy in Koschitzke type role. Eventually both the game style and forward set up will click.

Spot on, dogsbody!! There are no quick fixes with our forward line, there's no Barry Hall's floating around looking for a club, the new structure has to get used to each other's movements, abilities and weaknesses and then the cohesion will follow. And that's what Macca is doing, identifying long term roles for young players and building a structure to the game. We all just need to be patient.

So Gia's safe this week, but Higgo in the gun. He's in the top 10 in pretty much every key statistical category inlcuding being second for marks inside 50 and is one of the few players that looks likely to kick more than one goal a match? But he still should be dropped.

Depending on fitness, only one change.

In: Markovic

Wallis and Libba to swap the sub's vest.

Does that not defeat your own argument? Or are you just taking the p15s.

Anyway....having now had a chance to watch the replay.....My thoughts are as follows.

In Markovic if fit....for Austin, otherwise Austin stays in. Grant in for Wood. Grant to play back.

We have to bide our time a bit till we can get back players like Gilbee and Morris. In the meantime, Veszpremi gets some games into him and Addison soldiers on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does that not defeat your own argument? Or are you just taking the p15s
He was questioning the reasoning of VitalDread. Changes for mine (subject to fitness):

Outs: Wood, Austin

Ins: Grant, Markovic

Given our dysfunctional forward line, surely Dickson must be given another crack. only 3 goals for Willi on the back of a couple good games. Sherman was disappointing, Gia so lucky with those frees, Djukkera dropped right off again.

Suggest:

In: Markovic, Dickson, Grant, Cordy
Out: Wood (inj), Sherman, Wallis (rest), Austin

With the greatest respect the club needs choose a farewell game for Gia. He has been a great servant. He has also lost a little more speed and is now surviving entirely on free kicks. He is incapable of applying any forward pressure. I would love to be wrong about this, perhaps, he needs some confidence to back himself becasue his default option in every contest is to play for a free or get it to neutral position with a ball up or out of bounds. I would love for someone to provide evidence that I am wrong but time is up.

Given our dysfunctional forward line, surely Dickson must be given another crack. only 3 goals for Willi on the back of a couple good games.
Good point, forgot about Dickson. He definitely deserves another crack.

With the greatest respect the club needs choose a farewell game for Gia. He has been a great servant.
Pretty sure he is contracted for next year, unless I'm thinking of Cross.

Is there any value in giving a debut to Pearce ??

I saw him only briefly on Saturday (during which he gave away a free after laying a good tackle), but he seems to have pace and I think he was named amongst the best the week prior.

Out: Austin (if Markovic is fit), Wood, Addison
In: Markovic, Pearce, Tutt

Is there any value in giving a debut to Pearce ??

I saw him only briefly on Saturday (during which he gave away a free after laying a good tackle), but he seems to have pace and I think he was named amongst the best the week prior.

Out: Austin (if Markovic is fit), Wood, Addison
In: Markovic, Pearce, Tutt

Tutt's out for another 4 weeks with a knee :(

I don't mind the idea of giving Pearce a taste though.

Poor young Dylan. No matter how he performs there are always calls for his head. Sure he popped a howler the other night on one occasion. But Murph did two, yet I don't see to many calls for his decapitation. Dylan has performed well at the tasks he has been given, and for the time being he would seem to be a lock in our best 22. Presently there is no one at Willy putting their hand up to push him out anyway.
We will need some one with pace to help out with Norf's. smalls that they rotate through the forward line in Woody's absence. I think give Djita. or Vez. a role, and perhaps Dickson to come in up forward. I hope Marko will be back too.
As for the Jones boy, what he needs is not a spell at either half back or Willy, it is patience and a genuine natural forward as a partner up there [ as distinct from a resting ruckman, though I would still keep resting them up in the F. pocket]. With 3 genuine talls up there few teams would be able to continue double and triple teaming Liam. Once he is fit again, Hill cannot be far from début, and he might be just who Jonesy need out there as his partner-in-crime.
Once Howard gets a clearance from the medicos, he will not be far away. At the Werribee match weekend before last, he was watching from the boundary with big Tom W. At each break he effortlessly vaulted the fence and jogged out onto the field, so I don't think there is much problem with his condition. So he may present an option soon.

Poor young Dylan. No matter how he performs there are always calls for his head. Sure he popped a howler the other night on one occasion. But Murph did two, yet I don't see to many calls for his decapitation. Dylan has performed well at the tasks he has been given, and for the time being he would seem to be a lock in our best 22. Presently there is no one at Willy putting their hand up to push him out anyway.

Yeah I know what you mean, I like how Addison goes about it. He has been really good for us this year. But I just think if we had everyone available he wouldn't be best 22 but is solid back up.

Couldn't agree more, he locks down his opponent and attacks the ball and the contest with confidence and ferocity. I think his rebound play has shown signs of growing in confidence in the last two matches also. Both he and Vezspremi are key players going forward, both bring complimentary skills to the side down there. Vez is a beautiful kick and gives drive out of there, taking pressure off Murphy. How many times did Addison read the play to peel off his man and spoil as third man up, and his tackles stick (locks the ball in). Forget his last quarter mishap, he had a few mates, let him grow in confidence and get a consistent role in the team and you'll see some of those rough edges to his game start to round off. His intensity creates pressure and equalises the contest.

Thats what makes me laugh.
Wood before last weekend was turning the ball over far more than Addison. Hardly hit a target with his handball and cost us many goals across the year yet I log on here Monday morning and everyweek people wanted addison gone. Not sure they are watching closely or just cannot see him after he is the one being crunched by the leading forward when he drops in the hole.

Murphy and Higgins turn the ball over and nothing is said about dropping them... Addison does it and they call for his head. Be consistent everyone and look at everyone not just the guys who look awkward !!

And all the abuse on Jones and bronx cheers....THE KID IS 20 Years of age.
Name me one other player of the same age being asked to carry an entire forward line while at the same time trying to learn the game and forward play.
Sam Reid has Goodes, Taylor Walker has Tippett, Butcher had Schulz before injury, Watts even has Mitch Clark and is playing VFL.... Imagine him as the number 1 forward without anyone else around him... Watts was pick 1 they year Jones was drafted from memory.

JONES HAS NO ONE OF ANY QUALITY HELPING HIM. LEAVE THE KID ALONE AND PUT UP WITH US STRUGGLING WHILE WE DEVELOP THE KID !!! IF ANYTHING HE NEEDS CONFIDENCE SO GET BEHIND HIM DONT BRoNX CHEER HIM

Pearce wouldn't be a bad in if pace is required.
I recall him playing quite well in the NAB cup.

I still think Marko in for Wood and rotate the players so Austin plays as 3rd tall. Better off giving Austin some continuity now to see if he can play a solid 4 quarter game or 2. Other than a shocking 1st quarter last week, he played pretty well as the game wore on.

Making lots of changes every week probably isn't a great idea. I think Macca is on the right track so far.

Edit - And I totally agree with the post above me.

Ins: Marko, Hill

Outs: Wood, Dj,

Line up:
B: Addison Lake Austin
HB: Hargrave Markovic Murphy
C: Sherman Boyd Cross
HF: Dalhaus Jones Higgins
F:Cooney Hill Roughead
FOLL: Minson Griffen Picken
INT: Libatore, Wallis, Vesz SUB: Gia
EMG: Talia, Dickson, Dj

Think we need an extra tall defender to cover norths forwards, also need an extra tall forward who is an actual forward and mobile to stretch north down back, will also allow jones to push to chf and roam the wings like last year while we still would have a leading forward in hill in f50 and roughead and minson for the long bomb.

I thought the time had really come for Easton to have a spell at Willi, just seemed totally devoid of confidence but I'm guessing BMac's show of support in keeping him in rubbed off on him and he repayed the faith.

I heard Macca say that Easton has been receiving some intensive coaching from the assistants and that probably explains his improvement. Shame he got injured just as the coaching was starting to pay off.

Just on a side note thoughts go out to Jarrad Boumann who after playing Saturday night spent the rest of the night in hospital and all day yesterday. Will have surgery today to have his appendix removed and will probably miss a fair chunk of footy. Wishing him all the best with his recovery.

Just trying to remember a player who didn't miss one game after having an appendix op - was it Glen Archer?

In: Marko (hopefully)

I think Macca would like to give all the players every chance to atone for last week.

Also ditto on bronx-cheering Jones, that's disgusting. Do we want to be like Collingwood? There are some (many? :confused:) so-called supporters I wouldn't want to sit near at a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back