Game Day Round 7: West Coast Eagles vs Fremantle Trados, Sunday 2/5 @ West Coast Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the club are not going to have to explain the players using a hand symbol that was also used that one time by someone with a bad background.

White Supremacists also use the pepe frog meme. That doesn't make it a symbol of white supremacy.
Settle down Big Boi.

Those players are making a symbol that is currently a white supremacist symbol
White supremacists using the symbol does not make it a symbol of White Supremacy.

Fremantle wore white today. White supremacists also wear white. Fremantle, for all their flaws, aren't white supremacists.

You'd think that the club are going to have to explain it. I didn't know the OK symbol had been hijacked by white supremacists until just now. I'd doubt our players are KKK types, and if JJ is using, it must mean something else.

Time for a new symbol though.

Yeah, I really hope so. I did know about that, but hopefully our players waste less time online than me and know nothing about weird Nazi s**t. (My wife has an innocent email address that ends in _88, and had no idea that's a popular code for "Heil Hitler" in these cursed times)

White supremacists using the symbol does not make it a symbol of White Supremacy.

Fremantle wore white today. White supremacists also wear white. Fremantle, for all their flaws, aren't white supremacists.
At no stage have I said those players are white supremacists so let me slow this down for you...

T h o s e p l a y e r s a r e u s i n g w h i t e s u p r e m a c i s t s i g n a l s. T h e y n e e d t o b e a s k e d w h a t t h e s i g n a l s t h e y u s e d a r e f o r .

Due diligence is important. Ask, get explanation, move on. No burying of heads in sand necessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn’t really matter. Once something becomes associated with something negative, whether ‘true’ or not, intentional or not, you really don’t want any of that PR for your organisation.
Correct. And I'm sure it is innocent, but no doubt the club will say, "get a new symbol boys".

It doesn’t really matter. Once something becomes associated with something negative, whether ‘true’ or not, intentional or not, you really don’t want any of that PR for your organisation.
Pretty sure some redditers saturated the internet with posts about this symbol being a white supremacists symbol as a form of gaslighting .

You are perpetuating this bullshit .

It is the punch game that is it don't be a ❄

Edit it was 4chan not reddit

Last edited:
At no stage have I said those players are white supremacists so let me slow this down for you...

T h o s e p l a y e r s a r e u s i n g w h i t e s u p r e m a c i s t s i g n a l s. T h e y n e e d t o b e a s k e d w h a t t h e s i g n a l s t h e y u s e d a r e f o r .

Due diligence is important. Ask, get explanation, move on. No burying of heads in sand necessary.
What on earth are you blabbering on about.
Shoo with this rubbish, this is a match thread not the SRP board.

At no point have I accused you of saying that.

My point is, and has been from the start, that the OK symbol is not a symbol of white supremacy, just because some knob jockey on the internet tried to make it one.

I haven't read all the replies but I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough that it was tongue in cheek. I cropped Jones out of the photo, who's an indigenous player, and was doing the exact same signal.

Has never meant anything race-related in Australia, surely we all remember it from high school/boarding school?

Going back to the game, does Walters look like he's over it? Didnt seem to have the same competitiveness he usually has and was phoning it in. May just be age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back