Preview Round 8 – GWS Giants vs Richmond, Friday 24th July 2020, Giants Stadium, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any response from anyone at the club, apart from Cogs, about Lid’s comments?
They are pretty damning... from someone who was on the inside for the last few years.
I don’t think Cogs responded as good as he could have either.
I think there is an element of truth in his comments personally.

Has there been any response from anyone at the club, apart from Cogs, about Lid’s comments?
They are pretty damning... from someone who was on the inside for the last few years.

These media reports need to make up their mind.

1 group says we are too selfish and not playing to the plan like a team.

The other says the plan sucks and we should let the players go off the leash.

We are an easy target for media clicks. We win a few on the trot and they will disappear again. Like every year.

Inevitably, as soon as there's poor performance, the media vultures swoop in to sink the boot in. Disappointing that a very recent player in Lids joined in. On the other hand, win a few (or even first game of the season), and suddenly you;re an unstoppable juggernaut and any subsequent defeat is a shock result.

Frankly, while I am disappointed at our recent results, the more s**t the media (especially Vic media) throws at us, the more I'll back us to overcome the problems.

the comments in full context weren't as bad as the headline. He wasnt saying they were selfish or anything like that.

Inevitably, as soon as there's poor performance, the media vultures swoop in to sink the boot in. Disappointing that a very recent player in Lids joined in. On the other hand, win a few (or even first game of the season), and suddenly you;re an unstoppable juggernaut and any subsequent defeat is a shock result.

Frankly, while I am disappointed at our recent results, the more sh*t the media (especially Vic media) throws at us, the more I'll back us to overcome the problems.
To be fair, the media do that to EVERY team.

Does anyone know what size crowd is allowed in this week? Is it still about 500?

Really? Explains how I was able to get tickets then. Be interesting to see the crowd breakdown as it's always felt about 50/50 to me, but a lot of people usually come from Melbourne for it. You might even get a home crowd advantage for once. :p
See you there. :)

Crowd jokes in a pandemic? Really?

Anyway good luck Friday.
More of a cheeky observation. I live in Sydney so have been to every Giants / Tigers match at Spotless since you joined the comp. Have to say the last couple of years it's been more like 35% (?) Tiger supporters when I remember a very even split in the early years. Will be genuinely interested to see the proportion this time around, although as your home game I'm guessing your supporters were (rightly) preferenced in allocations.

I think we'll need a lot of luck. As much as your supporters seem a bit wary, if the team can't get up to beat a side that (to be blunt) trounced them in the GF and is missing 1/3 of its starting 22 then there really are big problems. Quite frankly I think the Giants are way too good for that to be true. Your losses have been against the Roos and Dogs just after the break when everyone was all at sea, and then the Lions and Port who are the ladder leaders. On the other hand our wins since the break have been against the Roos, Swans, Blues and Dees - none in the top 8 and two cellar dwellers.

Surely De boer gets dropped? Let Coniglio, Hopper, Taranto, Kelly and Caldwell go head to head with our midfield and you'll smash us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More of a cheeky observation. I live in Sydney so have been to every Giants / Tigers match at Spotless since you joined the comp. Have to say the last couple of years it's been more like 35% (?) Tiger supporters when I remember a very even split in the early years. Will be genuinely interested to see the proportion this time around, although as your home game I'm guessing your supporters were (rightly) preferenced in allocations.

I think we'll need a lot of luck. As much as your supporters seem a bit wary, if the team can't get up to beat a side that (to be blunt) trounced them in the GF and is missing 1/3 of its starting 22 then there really are big problems. Quite frankly I think the Giants are way too good for that to be true. Your losses have been against the Roos and Dogs just after the break when everyone was all at sea, and then the Lions and Port who are the ladder leaders. On the other hand our wins since the break have been against the Roos, Swans, Blues and Dees - none in the top 8 and two cellar dwellers.

Haha more like a 30/70% split at the beginning. No hiding from that.

But the numbers and ratios are growing to be much more respectable now.

Yeah but we are out of whack, not due to effort or anything of the like, we just are one or two steps off.

If we find it by Friday then I think we win well, no disrespect, and my gut feeling is we will do it (for some reason).

Haha more like a 30/70% split at the beginning. No hiding from that.

But the numbers and ratios are growing to be much more respectable now.

Yeah but we are out of whack, not due to effort or anything of the like, we just are one or two steps off.

If we find it by Friday then I think we win well, no disrespect, and my gut feeling is we will do it (for some reason).
Maybe it was the crowd noise when Jack slotted 10 that fogged my memory. :D

Whether you find 'it' or not, for the reasons I outlined above I'll be genuinely shocked if we win. Just hoping for a competitive game TBH. Don't know if you've watched us but we've been rank since the break. Last weeks game against the cellar-dwelling Roos was the first time we looked anything like our typical game-style, let alone playing it well.

We’ve been missing 1/3 of our 22 for about the last four years.

footy phil this week was a great listen. He explains why the run and gun isnt always as simple to execute as one might think. And he also explains why some teams who are in form are able to do it.
I highly recommend it
Agree it was terrific. The last few episodes have been top notch. He and Jacobs are really good together and explain a lot of nuance in the current game.

Where is this podcast ? Is it from the Giants site ?
Here you go. Well worth subscribing on your favourite podcast app (search for "The Footy Phil" podcast). They record an episode each Tuesday usually. It really is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back