Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, that went well, didn’t it?

Down a euphemism-load of first choice players, and facing an up-and-coming team in quite good form, we not only got the four points, but demonstrated an amount of depth that probably surprised most of us.

Initially it looked like the Saints had come to play, but the first quarter ended up being something of a clinic. We took control and were sailing along at 85% kick efficiency, an unheard-of figure.

Yes, we took our eye off the ball after quarter time, and the Saints fought back and won the second quarter, but we responded and easily won the second half, producing a handy and perhaps unexpected percentage boost.

Next week we’re off to the home of football to play the Hawks.

Hawthorn had their hearts broken this afternoon by a desperate Demons side. Having led for most of the afternoon, the Hawks were overtaken in a thrilling final quarter to lose by less than a kick. That kind of loss is really deflating.

We've had their measure for the past few years (including that notorious draw in Launceston a couple of years ago, where I was almost outed by General Giant), and given the form of both teams, I’m not expecting any real problems next Sunday, even thought it’s at the MCG. In fact, this is a golden opportunity to improve our horrendous record down there; we’ve only won twice in fifteen starts!

We’ll probably have Phil Davis back, which is more than handy, given the injury to Aidan Corr this afternoon. I think Jeremey Cameron will probably be OK, but I don’t think Adam Kennedy will be back next week, which is a pity, because he’s been so good for us since returning last season. I don’t know about Josh Kelly, those adductor strains do take their time to heal, and we were able to win today without him, so there is no rush. Apart from that I don’t see the need for major surgery to the team, because we’re playing quite well.

The bottom line is that I think we have the Hawks covered.

Here’s to a much-needed win at the MCG. Go Giants!

Last edited:

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
The team will appreciate the 8 day break this week and Hawks have been inconsistent so far this year IMO, win v adelaide, lost to the Dogs with a 6 goal turn around in the last quarter and the come from behind v Carlton but at the MCG with the mids on they will trouble most sides and I can see another tough game coming up
A few injury worries from todays game with Corr and Kennedy the biggest and I can see the club being cautious with Kennedy and he sits out with the concussion and I think we can say that Corr will miss with the ankle and hope that it is just a rolled ankle and he only misses 1-2
My team with a few question marks over the injured
Buntine to stay in after a good performance today
Daniels has been performing ok and it will be interesting to see if the coaches want to see langdon and him in the same forward line, I can see a straight swap for this game with Daniels earning a rest and neither offer the versatility to be able to spend minutes in the midfield but we can wait till Thursday to find out.
Cumming performed his role but if Kelly/Whitfield are back in I cant see him making the cut but he did a good job today
Hately deserves to stay in after 2 ok performances he will be learning so much and offers that ability to play midfield

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Buntine
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Greene Cameron MDB
Reid HH TOJ
Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson Reid Lloyd Daniels/Langdon/Hately/Cumming (1 or 2 of depending on Kelly/Whitfield)

AbrahamS

Team Captain
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I wouldn't be describing the Hawks as up and coming at the moment. Gunston had his first decent game in a while. Most of their senior players were outplayed by their Melbourne opponents yesterday (Breust being the other exception). Their midfield isn't very deep right now.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Daniels has been performing ok and it will be interesting to see if the coaches want to see langdon and him in the same forward line, I can see a straight swap for this game with Daniels earning a rest and neither offer the versatility to be able to spend minutes in the midfield but we can wait till Thursday to find out.

I like the energy Daniels brings. If his play 'earns' anything, it's more games, not a rest. I think he deserves 2 or 3 more games to cement himself in the team and see if a few more goals come. If not, then Zaccy should be champing at the bit to break in.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Hard one at selection over who comes in

I would expect Davis, kelly and Whitfield to come straight back in. Makes for a rough call on some of the fringe players

As we already have three changes I can’t see Langdon coming in this week as well

MCG is the real story here...we r s**t at playing there

I don’t know about Josh Kelly, those adductor strains do take their time to heal, and we were able to win today without him, so there is no rush.

They showed an interview with Kelly during the telecast in which he commented that his twinge was only minor and he expected to be back this week. We'll see how that goes.

I like the energy Daniels brings. If his play 'earns' anything, it's more games, not a rest. I think he deserves 2 or 3 more games to cement himself in the team and see if a few more goals come. If not, then Zaccy should be champing at the bit to break in.

I feel like they bring different strengths now. Langdon is a better goal sneak playing in the forward 50, but Daniels is actually quite a good hard ball get and ball handler higher on the wing. I feel like there's room for both but I'm not sure how. :)

My thoughts and its only Monday are ;

Outs ;

Daniels, (omitted / emerg ? )
Corr, (injured)
Kennedy, (omitted)
Buntine, (omitted / emerg)

Ins ;

Davis
Kelly
Whitfield
Langdon

Davis for Corr
Whitfield for Kennedy (Kennedy to slot back in against the Blues)
Buntine for Kelly (Buntine to be emergency and on the flight to the G) Kelly to Mids, Reid to have a lock down role in the backs this week
Landgon for Daniels

Daniels, KPI's not hit this week 0 tackles, 2 x 1%'s, 0 score but 3 GA% so i think Langdon after 2 games in the 2's may get his go

But wouldnt be surprised if 1 of Kelly / Whitfield have 1 more week off due to a club taking a no risk approach this season at this point of time

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
My thoughts and its only Monday are ;

Outs ;

Daniels, (omitted / emerg ? )
Corr, (injured)
Kennedy, (omitted)
Buntine, (omitted / emerg)

Ins ;

Davis
Kelly
Whitfield
Langdon

Davis for Corr
Whitfield for Kennedy (Kennedy to slot back in against the Blues)
Buntine for Kelly (Buntine to be emergency and on the flight to the G) Kelly to Mids, Reid to have a lock down role in the backs this week
Landgon for Daniels

Daniels, KPI's not hit this week 0 tackles, 2 x 1%'s, 0 score but 3 GA% so i think Langdon after 2 games in the 2's may get his go

But wouldnt be surprised if 1 of Kelly / Whitfield have 1 more week off due to a club taking a no risk approach this season at this point of time
I think you are being a tad harsh on Daniels here. 81% DE means he is a crucial mover of the ball in the forward half for us. 8 score involvements means he is also a key part of the chain to goals. He also had 22 pressure acts.

If he gets dropped off those contributions he would be spewing!

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think Daniels stays in this week as he has been doing a good job and adds something different to the forward line from the others and with Greene an automatic selection the others are fighting for the other 2 spots and Lloyd has the advantage IMO of being a mature bigger body, although with the NEAFL bye this week it doesnt give the others a chance to push for selection but the week after Deledio should be back and Kennedy should only miss the 1 with the concussion

I think you are being a tad harsh on Daniels here. 81% DE means he is a crucial mover of the ball in the forward half for us. 8 score involvements means he is also a key part of the chain to goals. He also had 22 pressure acts.

If he gets dropped off those contributions he would be spewing!

He has been playing well, but game time for other players who arent in current 22 will need to be made prior to back end of season

Just going off his last game only, he has had a great to the start to the season dont get me wrong

Not only that selection has not be made so all good and i know has a high DE% and value that

Last edited:

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I’m hoping:
Haynes Davis Shaw
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Coniglio Kelly
Greene Cameron Deledio
Binga HH Finlayson
Mummy Taranto Hopper
Tomlinson DeBoer Reid Lloyd

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
A few ins
0a2683aa8dc0b7bc60e504bba74cf671.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
No Whitfield and Hately omitted would be the big points from the named 26, I thought Mumford would have another game before a rest but he has been immense in the games he has played and I can see Simpson having a few games while he gets back to fitness. Unfortunate for Hately to be omitted but hopefully he can work his way back in
100 games for Kennedy which is great news for him to reach the milestone
Hopefully Davis is right for the game as although Coniglio is doing a great job I just feel he will be able to provide some motivation to the boys on the field with the game at the MCG
I can see a few of the team travelling down to Melbourne for the game with the NEAFL bye

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Looking at that list, Simpson, Kelly and Davis the obvious ins unless Daniels goes out as well.

Would not be surprised to see at least one of Perryman or Langdon come into the side. Cumming and Buntine would be the two in the firing line.

Perryman had a spot in the best 22 before Ward went down and now he is odds on to take his spot for the remainder of the season - no need to for him to be playing NEAFL (or having a week off with the bye)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back