Preview Round 8 – Hawthorn vs GWS Giants, Sunday 12th May, MCG, 3.20pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I must say no Whitfield is surprising. Must have been one hell of a knock.

Mumford's rest/soreness/knee is inevitable i suppose and simpson will get another opportunity which he deserves. Happy to have kelly back- I think we just need continuity with our stars in the team.

Davis to come back as well is promising.

I think Hawthorn will play a slower brand this week and try to control the ball. If they play run and gun against us I think we will be too good.

In the end I dont think they can kick 100 points where as we average that. Should be a win and valuable experience at the G

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Agree with the hately comments- he has done well and had an impact both games.

But we are finally in a good place to cover injuries and he becomes the victim of that i suppose. I have noticed a large difference between injury management this year compared to last

Hately very stiff. 2 pretty good games then dropped for senior players. Shows good depth as he walks into a lot of other sides even at this stage of his career. He will keep working hard and take every chance he gets, amazing character.

Hately got the ball but tended to rush it when disposing - a lot of just throwing it on the boot or sloppy handballs when he actually had more time than he thought. Despite the disposal count he didn't have as much impact as you'd expect for those numbers. He's definitely a player, he just needs to take him time a bit more and the reserves are a fair place to get a handle on that.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Buntine named in the starting 18 so you'd expect he's safe.

Delidio not named in squad is surprising.

I wouldn’t read to much into how the 18 is named. For 7 years I don’t think we have gone into a game as per the named team on Thursday night. Plenty of times the ones that missed out have been named on the field.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Agree with the hately comments- he has done well and had an impact both games.

But we are finally in a good place to cover injuries and he becomes the victim of that i suppose. I have noticed a large difference between injury management this year compared to last

I get the feeling he was always going to be rested this week.

Part of player management of first year players, they all have a week off for the NEAFL bye.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Langdon, Davis, Simpson and Kelly in

FB: Nick Haynes, Sam Taylor, Adam Tomlinson
HB: Sam Reid, Phil Davis, Heath Shaw
C: Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper, Zac Williams
HF: Matt Buntine, Harry Himmelberg, Jeremy Finlayson
FF: Brent Daniels, Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene
RR: Dawson Simpson, Matt de Boer, Tim Taranto

Interchange: Adam Kennedy, Zac Langdon, Josh Kelly, Daniel Lloyd

In: Phil Davis, Dawson Simpson, Josh Kelly, Zac Langdon
Out: Aidan Corr (ankle), Shane Mumford (knee), Jackson Hately (omitted), Isaac Cumming (omitted)

Would not be surprised to see at least one of Perryman or Langdon come into the side. Cumming and Buntine would be the two in the firing line.

Not a bad supposition. :D

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Langdon, Davis, Simpson and Kelly in

FB: Nick Haynes, Sam Taylor, Adam Tomlinson
HB: Sam Reid, Phil Davis, Heath Shaw
C: Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper, Zac Williams
HF: Matt Buntine, Harry Himmelberg, Jeremy Finlayson
FF: Brent Daniels, Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene
RR: Dawson Simpson, Matt de Boer, Tim Taranto

Interchange: Adam Kennedy, Zac Langdon, Josh Kelly, Daniel Lloyd

In: Phil Davis, Dawson Simpson, Josh Kelly, Zac Langdon
Out: Aidan Corr (ankle), Shane Mumford (knee), Jackson Hately (omitted), Isaac Cumming (omitted)
That is a seriously strong side

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Hopefully it creates serious pressure to perform in the two!
I reckon Sam Reid has learnt to play his role really well. He is a lot quicker than I thought. He has a tackle first mentality. He knows his ability when it comes to kicking. Leon has found a suitable role for him in the side.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Hately got the ball but tended to rush it when disposing - a lot of just throwing it on the boot or sloppy handballs when he actually had more time than he thought. Despite the disposal count he didn't have as much impact as you'd expect for those numbers. He's definitely a player, he just needs to take him time a bit more and the reserves are a fair place to get a handle on that.
How does everyone feel about a consistent run of games?
Give him at least two, hopefully three, in a row to get to understand that he has more time.
Not sure Hately gets acclimatised to the speed of the first if he is in and out.
Kind of feel the same about Cummings.
Like to know what y’all think.

Give him at least two, hopefully three, in a row to get to understand that he has more time.
Not sure Hately gets acclimatised to the speed of the first if he is in and out.
I agree.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

I always think for the younger players it takes minimum 3 games to really judge them and ideally 5 in a row to let them build connections with the players around them in the team but that would have been when the team was developing and the coaches wanted to see how players performed over the stretch of games. It will be interesting to see how the team structure up in the second half of the year as a few of the younger players will be showing enough to be selected

Agree. Deledio in for Lloyd?

I can see Deledio having 2 games in the NEAFL with 1 on limited time before he comes back in as they really cant afford him to break down early in a final I think the rehab team will really be earning their money with him

I reckon Sam Reid has learnt to play his role really well. He is a lot quicker than I thought. He has a tackle first mentality. He knows his ability when it comes to kicking. Leon has found a suitable role for him in the side.

It will be interesting to see how he goes in the second half of the season as some of the younger players will be pushing for a spot but at this stage he stays in and I think he is having his best season ever and it is probably down to the way the team is playing but he is having a few career highs in stats. 29 later in the season and if he stays injury free I can see him earning himself another year

Going to the game tomorrow with my girlfriend, who has decided that (after me dragging to many North games) the Giants are her team. She thinks you guys have a good song and players with nice girlfriends.

Go Giants!

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Going to the game tomorrow with my girlfriend, who has decided that (after me dragging to many North games) the Giants are her team. She thinks you guys have a good song and players with nice girlfriends.

Go Giants!
A lot of GWS Fans have split dedication. It’s hard to let go of supporting a club that you’ve followed for years.
The only challenge I have is when the Bombers play the Giants. Love them both, you see.
It’s okay to stick with Norf but throw on some Orange for a Giants game when you support your girlfriend.
Plus you get to yell twice on the one weekend 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back