AFL Autopsy Round 8: 2 points v Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the culture of the game has changed a lot since then. In the modern day GWS are becoming known for this sniping type rough conduct due to a few particular players making headlines for it, in a context where the AFL is constantly tightening interpretations, stamping out almost anything remotely dangerous.

I don’t think players from the 80s and 90s are really a fair comparison - they should be compared with the rules and expectations of their time and the players they played with and against.

This. 100% agree.

I’ll be honest, the “let’s put Heppell out to pasture” talk is starting to piss me off. 27 touches across half back, with an 85% disposal efficiency. And not only that, his ability to read the play is still elite in my eyes.

But say it is time for him to go, who replaces him? Who comes in that would improve out side? There isn’t anyone. Just farcical talk.

He is the leadership we need during this build. And any talk otherwise is unfair.

he also got absolutely smashed in coming back with the flight of the ball (good example for the younger lads).

Have to disagree. It's our entry into our forward 50 that is the major concern.
Yep and at its worse was when Giants swarmed back the other way making it difficult on the defence

ideas i've seen are Caldwell into the middle & McGrath back when the time comes.
Neither are happening any time soon, if ever.

Does highlight, we could do with a fresh face in the backline soon.
Love watching Lachie Ash play and how he fits down back with the Giants.
That's the sort of player i'd look for. Either of Saad or McKenna would be it, but they're gone.

I think his name starts with Z and end in ach Reid

Heppell -> Reid is a good thought.
Bumps some things around

Ridley Reid Laverde
Redman Francis Hind

Don't mind that backline once they've spent more than a summer and handful of games together.

Don't forget Stewart as well, Reid is apparently very good by foot so could play more of a flanker role until he's got the size to hold down FB / CHB.

Also totally missed this happening;

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY defender Lachie Keeffe has torn his right ACL, ruling him out for the remainder of the season.

The 31-year-old injured himself in the final minutes of Saturday’s two-point win over Essendon, with scans confirming the worst.

The fact that we never gave up and managed to kick the last goal is fantastic. I never saw that fight under Woosh.

That's not true, we had that 5 game streak in 2019 where we came from behind each game to win. The last time we beat GWS was with the Hooker goal and the game against North where Walla kicked the winner from the pocket.

Apparently we were in and out in one day which is a big effort and must have been a bit unsettling.

I would have thought maybe a bit flat first quarter but we did kick the first goal so I don't think it had much impact from a switched on point of view.
Losing that game by a couple points would have put a different mood on the trip though. We pull that win out and the emotions and the flight back would have been big.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not true, we had that 5 game streak in 2019 where we came from behind each game to win. The last time we beat GWS was with the Hooker goal and the game against North where Walla kicked the winner from the pocket.

I honestly didn't remember that period. That was a great clip - I stand corrected.

I mean, last year we were 5-2 with 3 of the wins being a goal or less, one being a comeback against Collingwood and the other was a win against North which was....terrible, but we fought it out. So we showed 'fight' then, but we also showed that we were a s**t team getting lucky in coin-tosses

Can anyone recall a single time we’ve gotten a free kick inside 50 at the death with game on the line?
Vs Swans at the dome.
Goodes punched the ball over our goal line on the full in the ruck contest. He didn't know the rule. It was so glorious watching that umpire's favourite melt.
Don't remember specifics, but pretty sure that free was at the death and gave us the win by under a goal. I guess if we played that game in Sydney, the ump would conveniently have not known the rule either, or given him a warning or something "practical" like that.

Vs Swans at the dome.
Goodes punched the ball over our goal line on the full in the ruck contest. He didn't know the rule. It was so glorious watching that umpire's favourite melt.
Don't remember specifics, but pretty sure that free was at the death and gave us the win by under a goal. I guess if we played that game in Sydney, the ump would conveniently have not known the rule either, or given him a warning or something "practical" like that.
Oh yeah, I remember that, was 2011 iirc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back