AFL Autopsy Round 8: 2 points v Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

My observations.
Simply can not keep turning over the ball by foot like we do. Lots of simple kicks missing targets. The stats say we went at better disposal efficiency than GWS but we screwed the pooch on multiple kicks inside 50 that cost us scoring opportunities. In the end like the Hawks game our poor efforts disposal wise in periods of the game cost us a win.

The secondary issue with the inside 50 disconnect is how it allows sides to run the ball out of defense in waves. GWS set up big numbers in the zone between 40 to 80 meters from our goal and when we turned it over they where able to run over us.

Not sure our forwards are working in sync either. Seemed to be a dogs breakfast at times despite the average kicks coming in.

It is good we are having a decent crack week in and week out. Now we just have to get over the line in a few of the close games.

GWS where pretty sharp with their handball and positioning around the contest.

Young blokes still doing well.

In the big picture view the end win or loss is neither here or there but as I have said we will want to win a few of the close ones in the back end of the year and build a bit of confidence.

Langford can also play wing. He is not just a half forward. Just cant play midfield.

Walla. Keep your feet. How many times does he fall over in a one on one contest and let his opponent run away with the ball.

Worked all day and have watched the highlights only. My only question is what is the feel on the Stringer injury? Did he play with it for a while or did it just ā€˜goā€™ and he had to hobble off?

He played with it for a while I think, didnā€™t bugger all so I guess they just pulled the trigger and subbed him off, looked to be a low hammy going by the ice.

Watching the young blokes have a crack is awesome. Losing by less than a goals sucks, we just need too nail this years draft and it wont be long until we are winning those close ones,

Theres 5-6 bad mistakes a game that directly cost goals. Get that down to 2-3 and you win more of the close games than you lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Donā€™t think it was that incident. Score was 101-99 when it happened and there were two defenders on him
This replay would've been after GWS went to the other end and kicked the sealer. You can see Taylor coming in from the right side of the frame too.

Listening to the radio it seemed some Taylor bloke kept them in it.

He doesnā€™t get much press because heā€™s playing at a faux club no one cares about but Taylor is probably the best young fullback going around.

By combination of bad luck and good reading of the play we kicked it to his advantage on a smaller opponent about 6 times in the last 8 minutes

Watching the young blokes have a crack is awesome. Losing by less than a goals sucks, we just need too nail this years draft and it wont be long until we are winning those close ones,

Theres 5-6 bad mistakes a game that directly cost goals. Get that down to 2-3 and you win more of the close games than you lose.
Last couple of years we would've lost this game by 7 or 8 goals.

Kids are impressive šŸ‘

Mark or Free? One of the two surely
Mark of free kick, take ya pick.
Usually if itā€™s both they pay the mark, but yes. They didnā€™t pay anything though and it resulted in a goal the other way.

Would be nice if we werenā€™t 2 points down with 40 seconds to go in the first place, obviously, but why the heck these howler type decisions happen when the result is against essendon by less than a goal I donā€™t know. We never seem to win a game by a free kick paid/not paid in the last minute.

Usually if itā€™s both they pay the mark, but yes. They didnā€™t pay anything though and it resulted in a goal the other way.

Would be nice if we werenā€™t 2 points down with 40 seconds to go in the first place, obviously, but why the heck these howler type decisions happen when the result is against essendon by less than a goal I donā€™t know. We never seem to win a game by a free kick paid/not paid in the last minute.

Itā€™s a ******* disgrace, itā€™s that blatant how could you possibly not pay it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back